• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rob Liefeld is retiring
4 4

89 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2024 at 1:24 PM, 666-6666 said:

Liefeld didn't create Deadpool, he stole it.

Joe Kelly deserves more credit for "creating" Deadpool.

Bingo

On 2/9/2024 at 3:21 PM, Gatsby77 said:

New Mutants # 87 was my first *grail* - I mowed lawns for a summer to afford it - and eventually paid $50 for my first copy.

:applause:

I was in the Mowing-Lawns-To-Pay-For-Comics-As-A-Teenager club as well.

With Liefeld’s art, it feels like a big joke played on someone, but you then feel bad because they believe it, so you keep on as if it’s actually true. 

I watched his Whatnot stream where he abused the books that he puts his signature on and then auctions them off for a silly amount of money. 

Who is paying $180 for a manhandled large breasted Cap 1, with a choppy sig?

I do have a very nostalgic love for NM 98 though, I can’t lie. 

On 2/9/2024 at 6:50 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

In the last 30 years. Last  2 characters from Marvel Cable and Deadpool. 30 years. Name me a new one

Mic drop

Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, Gambit. 

I definitely agree that Deadpool is in the top 3 of modern characters. 

On 2/9/2024 at 5:40 PM, Dr. Balls said:

:applause:

I was in the Mowing-Lawns-To-Pay-For-Comics-As-A-Teenager club as well.

Me too. I was a young teen during primetime Image. 

On 2/10/2024 at 7:00 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I never understood the Gambit love - I mean, I was reading during his run (I bought Uncanny 251-308 off-the rack) and it was cool to see him in the X-Men cartoon, but I always preferred Longshot and Bishop - even Forge.

I never got the Gambit love either. Give me Cable or Deadpool. Damn, I take Bishop over Gambit. 

On 2/11/2024 at 7:07 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

I never got the Gambit love either. Give me Cable or Deadpool. Damn, I take Bishop over Gambit. 

Bishop is definitely the more interesting character. Far more interesting. 

On 2/10/2024 at 5:21 PM, Cat said:
On 2/10/2024 at 3:07 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

never got the Gambit love either. Give me Cable or Deadpool. Damn, I take Bishop over Gambit. 

Bishop is definitely the more interesting character. Far more interesting. 

I was thinking of a way to defend Gambit lol

It was my favorite character as a kid until I got a subscription to the 1988 Wolverine series. I think part of that was not wanting my parents to object to interests. Also, what may be affecting my decision? (for me anyway or imo), is how you're introduced to the Gambit character. When I first saw him on the cartoon or video games, I had NO IDEA that he was a "new character".

In that I was 10 years of age or so, the X-men just seemed as old as time and new members were an after thought. Others may have been accustomed to the stories at the time of the characters, and that would affect how Gambit would fit in.

After that when Gambit was an old character say 2000's with apocalypse wrapping up or whatever, perceptions were established for piers to fill a newcomer in lol needle and the damage done. That's a record ~ beastie boys

That is a long way to say, I see where y'all are coming from, as I might not think a new character now would be worth their salt until they had proved themselves with character building haha 😂 

Too be young and naive. Other than the cartoon with him and Rogue, with southern accents that helped to "hear when reading the comics?" There is not much defense 🤔 not all southerners can talk or think like that, ahem, nor understand it right off the bat either. It might remind of us of home, but then again not too flattering otherwise  :cheers: @Cat @The humble Watcher lurking

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
fill in articles

lol and I was just about to reply with Jim Lee being cocreator of Gambit wins out over Liefeld, but I can't knock Rob too much either, he did the best with what God gave him.

I can appreciate it for what it is as well. I remember being young and saying "ah cool" several times, probably just out of love for the hobby :) 

On 2/11/2024 at 10:42 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was thinking of a way to defend Gambit lol

It was my favorite character as a kid until I got a subscription to the 1988 Wolverine series. I think part of that was not wanting my parents to object to interests. Also, what may be affecting my decision? (for me anyway or imo), is how you're introduced to the Gambit character. When I first saw him on the cartoon or video games, I had NO IDEA that he was a "new character".

In that I was 10 years of age or so, the X-men just seemed as old as time and new members were an after thought. Others may have been accustomed to the stories at the time of the characters, and that would affect how Gambit would fit in.

After that when Gambit was an old character say 2000's with apocalypse wrapping up or whatever, perceptions were established for piers to fill a newcomer in lol needle and the damage done. That's a record ~ beastie boys

That is a long way to say, I see where y'all are coming from, as I might not think a new character now would be worth their salt until they had proved themselves with character building haha 😂 

Too be young and naive. Other than the cartoon with him and Rogue, with southern accents that helped to "hear when reading the comics?" There is not much defense 🤔 not all southerners can talk or think like that, ahem, nor understand it right off the bat either. It might remind of us of home, but then again not too flattering otherwise  :cheers: @Cat @The humble Watcher lurking

That's a good point. Cartoon was my intro too, I had no idea he was such a new character. I was shocked to discover that.

On 2/10/2024 at 6:01 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

If you ever met the man personally.  You like him. Don't go by his art. After all the great Alan Moore worked for Rob Liefeld for 2 years for AWESOME. The great Alan MOORE who people worship too was paid $50,000 a month FOR Supreme. Everyone has a price.

Rob has a Whatnot account where he streams a couple of days a week, he’s funny and entertaining. I like him, maybe he has mellowed out after all these years I know I have and we are around the same age. 

On 2/11/2024 at 10:52 AM, 666-6666 said:

Are we watching the same stream? 😆 On that stream he's usually a raving lunatic who berates the people buying from him 🤣 

That seems closer to the streams that I have seen Rob in.  He sits in a stream engaging with fans while actively banning people left and right. The stream then usually turns into a chorus of people praising Rob and kissing his butt which is difficult to watch.

On 2/9/2024 at 5:21 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Also - someone above noted that eventually his art devolved into blatant swipes. Umm...I'd argue he was doing blatant swipes from the beginning.

I mean, the covers of New Mutants 86, 87 and 91 are all blatant swipes.

As unpopular as it might be to defend the pinata, Ditko is credited, along with Liefeld and McFarlane on New Mutants #86!  

f19f27131914207fa551fa80670ed09c8ae834bf.jpg