• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your personal appreciation of the 90s Vertigo?
2 2

28 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2024 at 3:04 PM, Zonker said:

Vertigo did have a very high hit rate for its time, including all the ongoing series mentioned so far.  But I think the vast majority of their miniseries were forgettable, at least to my taste: Sebastian O, Enigma, American Freak, Chiaroscuro, The Extremist, Nevada, Seekers into Mystery, Skin Graft.  I think I sampled all of those, and found them all pretty meh  (I'm excluding the excellent Death and Books of Magic mini-series as basically spinoffs from Gaiman's Sandman).

I quite liked Chiaroscuro, but would otherwise agree. Can you imagine any other imprint taking those kinds of chances, though? Even when it didn’t work, it was madly inventive.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:50 PM, Jayman said:

I quite liked We3…

IMG_3044.jpeg

Hard to believe I forgot this one.

I have always been pedestrian in my comic reading - sticking pretty much to hero books like X-men. In the 90's with my comic shop, I read just about every Vertigo title that I had a pull order for, but for the life of me, I couldn't get into any of them - aside from Preacher, which is one of my all-time faves.

I bought and sampled most of the Vertigo series the first x years.  The good stuff was great! Especially early on... but as more and more series came out they just weren't my cup of tea.  But of the titles not yet mentioned, I particularly liked Animal Man, Sandman Mystery Theatre. And Chiaroscuro was great and so was Enigma.  I really thought the art by Duncan Fegredo was amazing.  I thought he'd be very popular.   

On 2/14/2024 at 4:46 PM, Aman619 said:

I bought and sampled most of the Vertigo series the first x years.  The good stuff was great! Especially early on... but as more and more series came out they just weren't my cup of tea.  But of the titles not yet mentioned, I particularly liked Animal Man, Sandman Mystery Theatre. And Chiaroscuro was great and so was Enigma.  I really thought the art by Duncan Fegredo was amazing.  I thought he'd be very popular.   

I think the mystery theater is the mist sandman that I've ever read, and it looked like it was a less "horror" type of work, which horror is not my cup of tea. Still pretty well written.

Perhaps that is why I'm so hard on myself for collecting it. Certain characters like that I've stayed away from for my own therapeutic reasons. Haha. Things hit people different sometimes.

It was down to earth, except I guess for the guy running around at night with a gas gun and gas mask catching bad guys.  I dont recall too many plots but his relationship with his girlfriend and the mysteries he solved were entertaining month after month.