• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your personal appreciation of the 90s Vertigo?
2 2

28 posts in this topic

The Vertigo section of DC are usually really praised by the reviews on overall. What is your personal experience with it? 

Did that keep you in the boat during this era where many editors was at their lowest? 

Was the style too much alternative or gore for you in comparison at the comics of your teenage years? Or it was at contrary a new wave that you loved? 

If you liked you can also share some of your favourites Vertigo covers here!

Edited by BA773

Vertigo Comics didn't really tend to be gory. Unless Garth Ennis was involved.

I wouldn't have thought the imprint would've been seen as that 'alternative', following on from the independent explosion of the 80s.

A good source of comics that were a little different to the mainstream, super-hero slugfests, as the early-to-mid 90s medium was getting mired in a glut of tenth-rate, mindless drek.

Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol and Invisibles, Hellblazer, Sandman and Sandman Mystery Theatre, Transmetropolitan, Shade the Changing Man.

So much great stuff.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/11/2024 at 9:42 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Vertigo Comics didn't really tend to be gory. Unless Garth Ennis was involved.

I wouldn't have thought the imprint would've been seen as that 'alternative', following on from the independent explosion of the 80s.

A good source of comics that were a little different to the mainstream, super-hero slugfests, as the early-to-mid 90s medium was getting mired in a glut of tenth-rate, mindless drek.

Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol and Invisibles, Hellblazer, Sandman and Sandman Mystery Theatre, Transmetropolitan, Shade the Changing Man.

So much great stuff.

Im probably using the term of "alternative" because for me the common book is the traditional super hero stuff... when i look all these Vertigo covers (just the covers) its look really special for me, closer of an artist painting than a comic book as i know them (shrug)

5249561.jpg.a9c0b265238cf2facf47383b72ad6563.jpg625083.jpg.128b50d9cc5df2d7ee12d551cd024eef.jpg

On 2/11/2024 at 12:33 PM, BA773 said:

Im probably using the term of "alternative" because for me the common book is the traditional super hero stuff... when i look all these Vertigo covers (just the covers) its look really special for me, closer of an artist painting than a comic book as i know them (shrug)

There were a lot of painted covers, that's true, in addition to Dave McKean's striking multimedia work on Sandman.

Glenn Fabry, Simon Bisley, as examples.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/11/2024 at 12:49 PM, csaag said:

couldn't wait to read the next Swamp Thing

Essential Vertigo Swamp Thing #15

Quite a readable title even to the end of the run; Moore, Veitch, Millar.

Vertigo was great. Sandman was the only title I read consistently all through college circa 1990-1994 and I loved it. 

A lot of Vertigo's success was taking Alan Moore's 1980s characters and concepts and farming them out to other creative teams. Which sounds like a slam, but Moore's writing kept me hooked on new comics through late high school and college, and keeping his vision going (whatever the motives behind it) helped me stay interested in comics. Not sure I'd be an active collector on the boards today if none of this had happened.

As you say, the covers were amazing across all the various titles, and have a life of their own.

From what I've read of Sandman it is thought provokingly well written, that is why it has a place in my collection, although the Netflix show was "rough or not my cup of tea" and it has me wondering in the registry if somehow, I've missed the point of Sandman from the little, I've read.

Supernatural pitfalls that have questions attempt answers, all good in its own universe. Very well written and engaging ^^ 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I had the number one registry set for invisibles with a #1 in CGC 8.0!  :whatthe: and I was the one to have it added to the registry along with being the only set running when I had it up, with no competition.

Either everyone kept theirs raw or idk ???

After a couple years of being numero uno with that grade and volume I finally googled it. The inspiration hit me whacky haha lol so I'm glad there is another collector that finally has the #1 slot.

I found it in the wild and thought it was enough variety with the collection to be a nice pickup, I still have the book and slab around somewhere. :shy:

On 2/12/2024 at 1:36 PM, TeddieMercede said:

Vertigo comics was a great time to read if you solely just read whatever was released under their banner. 

Vertigo did have a very high hit rate for its time, including all the ongoing series mentioned so far.  But I think the vast majority of their miniseries were forgettable, at least to my taste: Sebastian O, Enigma, American Freak, Chiaroscuro, The Extremist, Nevada, Seekers into Mystery, Skin Graft.  I think I sampled all of those, and found them all pretty meh  (I'm excluding the excellent Death and Books of Magic mini-series as basically spinoffs from Gaiman's Sandman).