• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FX/Hulu's SHOGUN starring Hiroyuki Sanada (2/27/24)
3 3

31 posts in this topic

Second episode takes you deeper into the world of 1600's Samurai, and how the European countries of that time attempted to gain control of the region.

Also gets into the different regents and the infighting taking place to achieve their own local control of Japan.

image.png.2fbf25ab025279e77771b4792916f52a.png

SHOGUN FINALLY GIVES HIROYUKI SANADA THE ROLE HE DESERVES

Marks and Kondo realized their limits as people who didn’t grow up surrounded by Japanese culture and history. “Both Justin and I had to learn to just say, ‘Okay, if this is not our story, if this culture doesn’t belong to us, how do we approach it? Who do we invite into the process who knows how to speak to this culture best?’” Kondo says.

The answer was Hiroyuki Sanada. Sanada had been working as a child actor since the ’60s, but he became best known to international audiences for his roles in Hollywood productions like The Last Samurai, Lost, Westworld, Avengers: Endgame, and most recently, John Wick: Chapter 4. Sanada first boarded Shogun as the star, but quickly became a producer as well. It wasn’t an empty title; Marks and Kondo wanted to make him a real collaborator. “You’re talking about an actor who, for the last 25 years in the United States, has been kind of this surrogate or a default ambassador to his own culture,” Marks says.

Authenticity was of the utmost importance to Sanada, who eagerly lent his knowledge and expertise to the production. “I wanted to introduce our culture to the world correctly,” Sanada tells Inverse. “So when they asked me to [produce], I thought it was a great opportunity to make an authentic samurai drama in Hollywood.”

Sanada ensured Shogun was made with a Japanese crew who were experts in historically accurate wigs, costumes, props, and even “masters of gestures.” Each department had a consultant who was an expert in samurai movies. Sanada even brought over young actors from the Japanese film and TV industry, many of whom had never starred in an English-language production before.

“A lot of this is for, in his words, the younger generation,” Kondo says. “All the younger actors, a lot of them signed on to work with him. His journey has been 25 years of building, building, building quietly.”

How do you compare first Shogun on TV mini series (Richard Chamberlain starring) and new Shogun?

I never watched first Shogun fully but I watched first three parts.  I know it's a long story and 5 days of TV show (it's funny that I never saw either Roots and Thorn Birds fully).

On 2/28/2024 at 11:29 AM, JollyComics said:

How do you compare first Shogun on TV mini series (Richard Chamberlain starring) and new Shogun?

I never watched first Shogun fully but I watched first three parts.  I know it's a long story and 5 days of TV show (it's funny that I never saw either Roots and Thorn Birds fully).

I was chatting with someone about this the other day.

The 1980's series was racy for its time as remember Richard Chamberlain gets urinated on to embarrassing him and a farmer has his head lopped off. Which was shocking for general audiences of the time 

But this newer series is able to get more intense. And it will have 10 episodes to dig deeper into the events of the time.

I remember reading the book and seeing the mini-series in my youth and was extremely impressed with it. Since then, I lived in Japan for a few years and eager to see this version. I usually like to binge but will give the first available episodes a watch soon. 

On 2/28/2024 at 10:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

I was chatting with someone about this the other day.

The 1980's series was racy for its time as remember Richard Chamberlain gets urinated on to embarrassing him and a farmer has his head lopped off. Which was shocking for general audiences of the time 

But this newer series is able to get more intense. And it will have 10 episodes to dig deeper into the events of the time.

We know Japaneses being racists (not all of them) for a long time.  I was still in my high school year and was shocked about that brazen behaviors and eventually my life went into late 80's and early 90's, they still showed racism.  I dated few Japanese women. They were hoping to be chosen by me but I chose not.  I chose an American gal. They were crying. Two of them got married to the foreigners (Australian and British) and one stayed single (passing away in the mountain).   I understood deeply about their culture even today. Still feel bad for them being stressed in their native land.  I would see them freely outside Japan.

The original Shogun showed cruelty even I own Lone Wolf and Cub books but I heard the new Shogun showed more authentic about their culture and way of warrior's life.

I decided to watch the old TV movie first before the new show.

One of the most intriguing aspects of the show so far is the underlying politics and scheming.  I'm enjoying this quite a bit so far.