• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FX/Hulu's SHOGUN starring Hiroyuki Sanada (2/27/24)
3 3

31 posts in this topic

Great episode addressing the mindset difference between traditional Japan and the encroaching European countries desiring to influence the region.

But what a difference when a simple expectation can lead to death.

:ohnoez:

Really good episode.

I recognize this is a single season. But this will be missed when the show ends. My wife and I are both enjoying the story and the attempts to honor the customs of the times. Along with the European attempts to enter into this region by religion and politics.

Episode 9 has so many intense twists and turns, all part of the "nothing is as it seems" Japanese hidden meaning.

What an ending! The finale will be interesting.

Interesting ending.

Spoiler

With the death of Lady Mariko, Ishido sealed his faith in having the council and Ochiba break the alliance. Leading to his defeat.

But none of this plays out completely for the audience. It is the vision seen by Lord Toranaga of where he was taking all the events in achieving his goal. So a display of his determination to accomplish a glorious goal, all for the sake of Japan.

I enjoyed the series as a whole. I was glued to watching each episode. However, I was expecting and more dramatic ending.

Not sure if I would watch a second season.

Since most of the show was subtitled, it made me wonder if they limited the audience, excluding younger generations that can't stop looking at their phones for 5 minutes at a time.hm

There wont be a season 2. It ends where the book ends - kinda. If you enjoyed this show, and you can still bring yourself to "read a book", I highly recommend you read Shogun.

The show is to the book as a light bulb is to the sun.

I think they could have had a better ending

Spoiler

with the final battle

which disappointed me, but everything else was SO good.

I was fine with the ending. So many shows go for mass battle scenes that now bore me to tears. The drama in this one was based in character interactions, and they stuck with that right through to the very end. 

Having said this, the reveal of "the plan" (trying to avoid spoilers) without seeing much of the plan was a bit odd for a visual medium. That type of thing works better in a book.