• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko Spiderman Pin-up on Comiclink
3 3

176 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2024 at 5:47 AM, gumbydarnit said:

Yet.. if you multiply the final bid by 5.69  you'd have the price paid for the Zeck black costume Spider-Man Secret Wars panel page...what kind of Bizarro world are we living in?!?!

And didn’t the cover of ASM # 238 only sell for $100K? Wonder what that is worth today. 

On 6/6/2024 at 10:58 AM, Silver Surfer said:

And didn’t the cover of ASM # 238 only sell for $100K? Wonder what that is worth today. 

Sounds about right yes.    That felt like a good buy even then.

I still remember that auction, and Josh making the disclosure as an interested party bidding the $100k. Seemed like $105k was the final but maybe I'm off target.

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 7:58 AM, Silver Surfer said:

On 6/6/2024 at 8:03 AM, Bronty said:

Sounds about right yes.    That felt like a good buy even then.

Speaking of feeling like a good buy on Clink, check out this Spec Spidey 205 cover feat. Tombstone pounding Flash Thompson with Spidey to the rescue. Barely cracked $15k, sold on Heritage for nearly $23k 2 years ago and felt like a fairly good deal at that time too.

When I think of Sal Spidey and villains I think of Tombstone, who I believe he co-created and this 3 parter was a memorable one if you were collecting at that time. It may not be a $100k cover, but still a good buy imo.

IMG_9229.jpeg

Edited by 1classics
Grammar

On 6/7/2024 at 6:32 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Love Sal but I’m not really fond of that era of the SSM but that should prove to be a good investment over time. 

Yeah I’m a fan of Sal Spec Spidey throughout his tenure, but I thought he adapted a unique style during the post Mcfarlane era Spider-Man that was well received at the time. Maybe I’m just biased cuz I was a young teen at the time of this run, but the cover was a memorable one and just surprising it fell far short of expectations. Either way I think you’re right, as just about any Sal Spec Spidey cover of this era at a $15k purchase will be a wise investment over time. 

On a side note, doing some more research Bechara that same auction day in 2022 bought Sal Spec Spidey #145 (chained spidey) for less than this one at $20.4k vs $22.8k for the #205 and then resold it recently for $32k. I guess the moral of the story is for the current buyer to not re-auction over the next couple years and instead continue to hold or perhaps sell privately! 

IMG_9238.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 10:49 PM, Silver Surfer said:

That’s a cool cover.

It definitely is cool, but was slightly less desirable that same day against this cover (#205) 2 years ago. As much as this is cool, I too would certainly lean towards #205 for a number of reasons as someone else did too that day. But that wasn’t the case this week at clink.

I just find it interesting that 145 went for roughly $20k in ‘22 and resold privately for $32k recently, which is roughly a 40% gain? Where the 205 went back to auction and took nearly a 40% loss in those 2 years. I think we can only attribute this to this cover being recycled at auction and not being held or sold private, which would obviously be a similar if not higher ask than 145. A tale of 2 covers…

Edited by 1classics