• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko Spiderman Pin-up on Comiclink
3 3

113 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2024 at 9:09 AM, buttock said:

One thing supporting this is that his armpit webbing in the published version extends to his forearm.  That's not how it was intended to be, so if you bent the arm down after the original was drawn, it would end up there.  

Definitely can be classified as published

On 2/18/2024 at 9:38 AM, Kevn said:

Perhaps it was given away out of spite, given how the relationship between Lee and Ditko deteriorated at the end. It didn't directly hurt Ditko necessarily, since he'd likely already have been paid for the piece, and he likely wouldn't have even know what happened. Of course it did deny him the pleasure of seeing it published, and though Stan couldn't have known it at the time, it also denied Ditko the return of the art when Marvel finally started returning art.

Stan liked the image enough that he had a knitted version of the published poster in his office for many years. 

On 3/4/2024 at 12:23 AM, Kevn said:On the right side is written "5 1/2 FEET HIGH BM - MATTE" with arrows indicating just the image area of Spider-Man. At the bottom is written "SHEET SIZE 6'  Fig. 5 1/2' - leave 1" all around". 

Funny, because they must have come across the 6ft poster at some point. They can check out the one selling at HA that Unca Ben posted the link tolol

Edited by grapeape

On 3/3/2024 at 5:27 PM, glendgold said:

Every time I think I've excavated all that there is, turns out there's just a little tiny bit more hiding in plain sight.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/miscellaneous/mmms-spider-man-poster-production-materials-marvel-1966-total-2-items-/a/121619-12726.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

So this is the production art for the poster.  As per the listing, "This specific image was created from a 18" tall stat of the base art image that was then altered with original art shading, and white paint art corrections/alterations on his face." In B&W it looks like this, which I think gives more clues as to the poster's artist. I am reallly curious what was going on with those lips.

lf.jpg

Wow, the artistry and the inking is so much better on this version than the printed poster one being shown. The printed one looks amateurish to my eyes (both the contours and the inking), while this one is so much more professional (although that mouth and nose looks kind of off brand, but still a legitimate choice).

Edited by stinkininkin

On 3/4/2024 at 11:56 AM, The Voord said:

I just e-mailed Josh at C-link to inform him of the good news and to suggest he alters the description to reflect what it is he's actually auctioning-off.  He's just acknowledged my e-mail, so hopefully a more accurate description will follow.

I just e-mailed Josh at C-link to inform him of the good news and to suggest he alters the description to reflect what it is he's actually auctioning-off.  He's just acknowledged my e-mail, so hopefully a more accurate description will follow.”

I might as well just copy and paste yours, because I came to post the exact same thing. Heh. I think they are aware now.

On 3/4/2024 at 9:00 AM, Latverian Tourism Board said:

I just e-mailed Josh at C-link to inform him of the good news and to suggest he alters the description to reflect what it is he's actually auctioning-off.  He's just acknowledged my e-mail, so hopefully a more accurate description will follow.”

I might as well just copy and paste yours, because I came to post the exact same thing. Heh. I think they are aware now.

:news: UPDATE:   There is strong evidence that in 1966, this artwork was reworked by another artist (possibly Marie Severin) with some alterations and then published as one of the 6-foot "life-sized" posters of different Marvel characters that were sold as a set that year (see fourth image below). Evidence supporting this includes a note on the right side of the artwork that says "5 1/2 FEET HIGH BM-MATTE" (see second image below). Also supporting this is the similarity of the pose between the original artwork and the published poster. In the published poster, the right arm and left leg were repositioned and some additional inking was added. The image was tilted about 20 degrees to the left.

The 6-foot Spider-Man poster is one of the 'Holy Grails' of Spider-Man merchandise collectors. While the artwork sources for the other Marvel characters in the 6-foot posters set has always been easy to document, that has not been the case for the Spider-Man image until now. We believe that the discovery of this historic artwork can now put that long-time mystery to bed! Note that in addition to the 6-foot poster, the altered image was also part of the "Personality Posters", a set of 12" x 17" posters of eight Marvel characters also published in 1966. The altered image was also used as part of the 1966 Donruss Marvel card set. It appeared on both the retail display box and on a montage of heroes that appeared on the back of the cards when they were displayed in order (See fifth image below). The altered image The altered image was also used for the cover of the first comic book in Brazil to feature Spider-Man, published in 1968 (see sixth image below).

From the keyboard warriors on this thread, fueled by Mountain Dew and Doritos, (Unca Ben most notably) we'd like to take a moment to say; "YOU'RE WELCOME !"

image.jpeg.c4366071145797c32ad970f6c163ce3e.jpeg

On 3/5/2024 at 6:45 PM, grapeape said:

:news: UPDATE:   There is strong evidence that in 1966, this artwork was reworked by another artist (possibly Marie Severin) with some alterations and then published as one of the 6-foot "life-sized" posters of different Marvel characters that were sold as a set that year (see fourth image below). Evidence supporting this includes a note on the right side of the artwork that says "5 1/2 FEET HIGH BM-MATTE" (see second image below). Also supporting this is the similarity of the pose between the original artwork and the published poster. In the published poster, the right arm and left leg were repositioned and some additional inking was added. The image was tilted about 20 degrees to the left.

The 6-foot Spider-Man poster is one of the 'Holy Grails' of Spider-Man merchandise collectors. While the artwork sources for the other Marvel characters in the 6-foot posters set has always been easy to document, that has not been the case for the Spider-Man image until now. We believe that the discovery of this historic artwork can now put that long-time mystery to bed! Note that in addition to the 6-foot poster, the altered image was also part of the "Personality Posters", a set of 12" x 17" posters of eight Marvel characters also published in 1966. The altered image was also used as part of the 1966 Donruss Marvel card set. It appeared on both the retail display box and on a montage of heroes that appeared on the back of the cards when they were displayed in order (See fifth image below). The altered image The altered image was also used for the cover of the first comic book in Brazil to feature Spider-Man, published in 1968 (see sixth image below).

From the keyboard warriors on this thread, fueled by Mountain Dew and Doritos, (Unca Ben most notably) we'd like to take a moment to say; "YOU'RE WELCOME !"

image.jpeg.c4366071145797c32ad970f6c163ce3e.jpeg

Glen Gold got the ball rolling on this one by posting one of the poster images.  From Glen's clue, it was then easy to fit the pieces together and see the Ditko illustration for what it actually is/was.. Kudos to Glen.

By the way, when I contacted Josh at C-Link, I sent him a detailed analysis of what it was he was actually auctioning off . . . plus a link to this thread (which is why you're now seeing those additional images on the auction listing).

On 2/18/2024 at 11:50 AM, grapeape said:

Being unpublished I think will temper the bidding. It's one of the best Spidey pinups by the late great Ditko though.

My guess is $395,000. I'll be surprised if it goes way over, but not surprised if it goes lower.

if it were a published pinup from the era of 1-37 I'd have it at $673,012.49.

Well there it is in black and white. I said if it was published.....$673,012.49. I'm looking in my 🚗 console for the .49 cents.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:50 PM, The Voord said:

Glen Gold got the ball rolling on this one by posting one of the poster images.  From Glen's clue, it was then easy to fit the pieces together and see the Ditko illustration for what it actually is/was.. Kudos to Glen.

By the way, when I contacted Josh at C-Link, I sent him a detailed analysis of what it was he was actually auctioning off . . . plus a link to this thread (which is why you're now seeing those additional images on the auction listing).

Well done fellas. Great job Glen. Thanks for reporting to C-Link Terry. Josh and the gang must be freaking out right now at the potential of that specific auction. The added info could be like winning a share of a reasonable lottery pot. 

Good luck to the consignees.