• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko Spiderman Pin-up on Comiclink
3 3

113 posts in this topic

Comiclink has some heavy hitters in the current auction - this is pretty cool to see for the May auction. I'm guessing this got dropped early to generate some legitimate buzz.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 2/17/2024 at 1:42 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Comiclink has some heavy hitters in the current auction - this is pretty cool to see for the May auction. I'm guessing this got dropped early to generate some legitimate buzz.

There were some nice Archie covers that I wanted to bid on in the last auction, but I couldn't get my account set up fast enough to bid :frown:

I do always peak to see what's on offer there now though. 

On 2/17/2024 at 1:38 PM, Patriot6 said:

There were some nice Archie covers that I wanted to bid on in the last auction, but I couldn't get my account set up fast enough to bid :frown:

I do always peak to see what's on offer there now though. 

My favorite auction house is ComicLink. I like that they aren't doing auctions every other day, and that they don't have 3 minute bid extensions or live bidding and that they waive Buyer's Premium for sending a check. I am always cruising CL.

On 2/17/2024 at 3:33 PM, cstojano said:

You know its serious when they bother writing even a word of description.

That was neat to hear a bit about the provenance. I mean, obviously they've put that in there to drive up the interest - but still cool to read.

On 2/17/2024 at 11:25 AM, Carlo M said:

Surprised this has not been brought up yet . This one must be truly impressive in person. Too early to provide estimates? 

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2024may%26itemtype%3D1%23Item_1752106&id=1752106&itemType=1#detail

Wow, that is an absolutely gorgeous Ditko Spidey image! Truly impressed by the material CL has gathered for this auction. One of their best in a long time.

On 2/18/2024 at 4:53 PM, KirbyJack said:

Hard to believe such a cool piece wasn’t published in a Marvel Tales or MCIC like so many others.

Perhaps it was given away out of spite, given how the relationship between Lee and Ditko deteriorated at the end. It didn't directly hurt Ditko necessarily, since he'd likely already have been paid for the piece, and he likely wouldn't have even know what happened. Of course it did deny him the pleasure of seeing it published, and though Stan couldn't have known it at the time, it also denied Ditko the return of the art when Marvel finally started returning art.

Stan too cheap to give each kid their own page? lol    No Playboy bunny for you Stan!  :sumo:

Given the notation about "6'" and the similarity in pose to the released 6' door poster, I wonder whether this ended up being a defacto prelim?

Edited by pemart1966

On 2/18/2024 at 12:38 PM, Kevn said:

Perhaps it was given away out of spite, given how the relationship between Lee and Ditko deteriorated at the end. It didn't directly hurt Ditko necessarily, since he'd likely already have been paid for the piece, and he likely wouldn't have even know what happened. Of course it did deny him the pleasure of seeing it published, and though Stan couldn't have known it at the time, it also denied Ditko the return of the art when Marvel finally started returning art.

Ditko no doubt got paid for it published or not - that's probably all he cared about.

"Given away out of spite"? - Stan was known to "gift" art so I would doubt very much that this was the case.

On 2/18/2024 at 7:16 PM, pemart1966 said:

Ditko no doubt got paid for it published or not - that's probably all he cared about.

"Given away out of spite"? - Stan was known to "gift" art so I would doubt very much that this was the case.

But did he gift unpublished art, art that easily could be used as intended, or repurposed in numerous ways? Maybe so, but it certainly seems like a foolish thing to do from a business standpoint, given how popular Ditko was around that time.

On 2/18/2024 at 6:41 AM, cstojano said:

Hater: The bottom half of his right leg.

I went back and looked but I didn't see an obvious issue. What don't you like my friend? 

On 2/17/2024 at 8:25 AM, Carlo M said:

Surprised this has not been brought up yet . This one must be truly impressive in person. Too early to provide estimates? 

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2024may%26itemtype%3D1%23Item_1752106&id=1752106&itemType=1#detail

Being unpublished I think will temper the bidding. It's one of the best Spidey pinups by the late great Ditko though.

My guess is $395,000. I'll be surprised if it goes way over, but not surprised if it goes lower.

if it were a published pinup from the era of 1-37 I'd have it at $673,012.49.

So here's a thought. If grapeape wins this, is there a way to make this available to Marvel so it could be published in Amazing Spider-Man?

How about a tribute issue ASM #37 B with this pinup used on either cover or title splash, or center of comic! A 56 year old boy can dream:-)

On 2/18/2024 at 2:34 PM, Kevn said:

But did he gift unpublished art, art that easily could be used as intended, or repurposed in numerous ways? Maybe so, but it certainly seems like a foolish thing to do from a business standpoint, given how popular Ditko was around that time.

According to the story the art was "gifted", so the answer is not "maybe" but "yes".  In any case, I doubt there was much unpublished art lying around.

The story told was that the art was gifted in 1967.  Ditko was gone at this point and Romita had taken over.  The art would not have seen publication given this.

In any case, Marvel probably kept a Xerox of the page that they could have used, if they had wanted...