• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clean and Press results
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Found a local guy on Facebook advertising cleaning and pressing for 15 bucks. Went over to his house and checked out his work. He has a ASM run from 40 to 400. Beautiful books. I had recently purchased a low-grade ASM 59 with water damage and said what the heck. Here are some before and after pics.  Don’t know why they show upside down. 

IMG_3611.jpeg

IMG_3612.jpeg

IMG_3613.jpeg

IMG_3614.jpeg

IMG_3615.jpeg

IMG_3620.jpeg

IMG_3621.jpeg

IMG_3622.jpeg

IMG_3623.jpeg

It looks better, but no change in grade or value, mostly due to the water damage.  I think it would have been better to put the $15 toward a nicer copy.

CGC might delete your post since it is about a competitor's pressing, which is a service they provide through CCS.  But maybe not, I'm pretty sure a Facebook presser is not a serious threat. 

In any event, I'm in before the lock.

On 2/18/2024 at 4:30 PM, makeminemarvel said:

Yes the bottom pics are after.  Not great pics but it is actually a little flatter.  Just some serious water damage.  Took a flyer and results were a little better than before. 

Objectively it's better, yes, but this presser left a lot on the table.  The spine roll should be fixed, and the creasing can be improved further.

That said, i would not do all of the work this book needs for $15.  It takes a lot of time, care, and experience to do this properly, so i think you got what you paid for.

On 4/11/2024 at 8:10 AM, Paul Kosnik said:

Objectively it's better, yes, but this presser left a lot on the table.  The spine roll should be fixed, and the creasing can be improved further.

That said, i would not do all of the work this book needs for $15.  It takes a lot of time, care, and experience to do this properly, so i think you got what you paid for.

Right. For $15 you'll get a one and done and out of the press as soon as it cools. Probably no dry cleaning or spot ironing.

On 4/11/2024 at 12:27 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Right. For $15 you'll get a one and done and out of the press as soon as it cools. Probably no dry cleaning or spot ironing.

Not true in all cases.