• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retired blue label with GSX artwork vs Re-Grade + Yellow label with Colorist's sig?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, what would you do? I have a blue label GSX with the GSX custom  label. It has a 9.2 grade. I've always thought it should have been graded higher as it was pressed and has a really nice spine and centering on the cover. Would you gamble a retired blue label for a yellow label with the colorist's signature? She's the only surviving member who has credit listed in the comic. 

IMG_6762.JPG

IMG_6763.JPG

IMG_6764.JPG

IMG_6765.JPG

I wouldn't risk it, the only two I would've (maybe) let sign a high grade copy like this is Stan Lee or Dave Cockrum.

With a book this valuable, and CGC's grading being very inconsistent lately, I don't know that I'd risk it due to fear of the grade dropping some. Cause if it dropped any, you'd definitely be losing way more value then you'd be adding with Glynnis signature. I definitely understand the desire to add a sig to it! But I'd be fearful of it coming back less valuable then when  you sent it. Losing the label to add Glynnis would be worth it to me. Risking the grade dropping to add her, definitely not in my opinion. And at this point, CGC's grading is just so hit and miss on books I sent I wouldn't trust it not dropping. 

Edited by Skippeydoo

On 2/23/2024 at 9:59 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Does no one think Claremont with the credit for the ending of the book is a good idea?

@s-man @Lesliesfbay

I wouldn't, not even with my 5.5 copy.  Personally, if its a grail I either keep it raw or blue label.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:49 PM, s-man said:

I wouldn't, not even with my 5.5 copy.  Personally, if its a grail I either keep it raw or blue label.

ah so you answered as a hypothetical ..... with the Stan Lee and etc. for personal reasons...

No Worries, I asked because mine was signed by Claremont and I'm wondering the implications...

On 2/23/2024 at 10:45 AM, Skippeydoo said:

With a book this valuable, and CGC's grading being very inconsistent lately, I don't know that I'd risk it due to fear of the grade dropping some. Cause if it dropped any, you'd definitely be losing way more value then you'd be adding with Glynnis signature. I definitely understand the desire to add a sig to it! But I'd be fearful of it coming back less valuable then when  you sent it. Losing the label to add Glynnis would be worth it to me. Risking the grade dropping to add her, definitely not in my opinion. And at this point, CGC's grading is just so hit and miss on books I sent I wouldn't trust it not dropping. 

Since you responded I'll ask you too, not to hijack the thread, as Claremont is still alive, and I would argue "could still be on the table?" as opposed to the it's not Stan not worth it etc.

My GSXM #1 was a 7.0 blue label, likewise a signing opportunity with CGC came up with Claremont with a flat cost no matter the value of the book on CGC insurance to submit. I think Claremont was somewhere around $120 total. I had joeypost press before sending for the signing.

IT WAS a blue label 7.0, came back a signature series CGC 8.0 with a Claremont signature. Based on sales, I'm not sure if I stuck myself in the foot lol or traded one issue for another.

IMO it shouldn't hurt and should still be worth what an 8.0 sells for etc. idk, and idk if I should suggest Claremont sigs on this issue to others or is a personal choice lol I know he was credited with "help on the book", sig isn't so much for the investment but that the press and etc grade was one flat cost and etc.

I'm spinning wheels, but I would agree there are much more "apporpriate books" for Claremont sig. idk. I don't know if it was "worth it or worthy to be considered in the running" given the 1st post doesn't even mention that as "an option" though still alive! ???:cheers: 

On 2/23/2024 at 2:59 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ah so you answered as a hypothetical ..... with the Stan Lee and etc. for personal reasons...

No Worries, I asked because mine was signed by Claremont and I'm wondering the implications...

Since you responded I'll ask you too, not to hijack the thread, as Claremont is still alive, and I would argue "could still be on the table?" as opposed to the it's not Stan not worth it etc.

My GSXM #1 was a 7.0 blue label, likewise a signing opportunity with CGC came up with Claremont with a flat cost no matter the value of the book on CGC insurance to submit. I think Claremont was somewhere around $120 total. I had joeypost press before sending for the signing.

IT WAS a blue label 7.0, came back a signature series CGC 8.0 with a Claremont signature. Based on sales, I'm not sure if I stuck myself in the foot lol or traded one issue for another.

IMO it shouldn't hurt and should still be worth what an 8.0 sells for etc. idk, and idk if I should suggest Claremont sigs on this issue to others or is a personal choice lol I know he was credited with "help on the book", sig isn't so much for the investment but that the press and etc grade was one flat cost and etc.

I'm spinning wheels, but I would agree there are much more "apporpriate books" for Claremont sig. idk. I don't know if it was "worth it or worthy to be considered in the running" given the 1st post doesn't even mention that as "an option" though still alive! ???:cheers: 

The fact that you got a bump on it grade wise could only help in my experience. But, you also got a bump and added a sig, which could add a little extra value. I didn't even realize Clairmont was credited in that book. Then again, I don't own that book either, so there's a lot of stuff about it I don't know about it. :nyah: And I think what S-Man's point was is that the only sig worth risking it would be one that would add major value. While Clairmont is a big deal when it comes to X-Men history, he also does a ton of signings. So, his sig is out there on a lot of books, so it doesn't add much. Personally, when I decide if I am going to send something for a signature, the first thing I look at is fair market value for what it's at now, and how that would be impacted if it were to drop a grade or two. And then decide if I could live with that loss. Cause, as bad as it sounds, a large majority of sigs you get, you are not going to get back what you put into it cost wise for the sig and regrading while that person is still alive. And some, depending on the amount of books they sign, even after they pass it might not add much. So, I typically just look at it from a perspective of what's it worth at the grade now, and can I live with it if it drops. Cause though most of the time the grade stays exactly the same, I have probably had more drop then I have had them go up. So, even if I think a press should raise the grade, I don't expect or rely on it to. So, if it does it's great. But I don't bank on it. 

On 2/23/2024 at 1:48 PM, Skippeydoo said:

I didn't even realize Clairmont was credited in that book.

Actually he is not credited. He was in the office and contributed to the writer's room or water cooler chat. But not enough to get a credit. He did start writing beginning with 94, so it's pretty bang bang. He was there in the building when Len and Dave were creating the issue! 

For the moment, I'm gonna hold off. I haven't sold much lately, so gotta save my hobby money for kickstarter games and comics. 

On 2/24/2024 at 7:33 PM, Lesliesfbay said:
On 2/23/2024 at 3:48 PM, Skippeydoo said:

I didn't even realize Clairmont was credited in that book.

Actually he is not credited. He was in the office and contributed to the writer's room or water cooler chat. But not enough to get a credit. He did start writing beginning with 94, so it's pretty bang bang. He was there in the building when Len and Dave were creating the issue! 

For the moment, I'm gonna hold off. I haven't sold much lately, so gotta save my hobby money for kickstarter games and comics. 

Pretty much.

Claremont gave feedback, which was well received, with Len and Dave, but they were still the ones hired for the project and therefore did the job.

Life or on the job stuff was a lot more lenient with help in those days

Claremont described the situation to Peter Sanderson in The X-Men Companion...

Len and Dave Cockrum were evolving the new X-Men concept. And they'd be sitting in Len's office... plotting it. I would be sitting there just outside proofreading. I'd wander in and say, 'Can I listen?' and they'd say 'Sure.' They'd evolved the whole first issue of Giant-Size except the ending. They needed a way to get rid of Krakoa utilizing the powers of the X-Men. I was thinking about it and I thought, well, we've got Lorna Dane, who has since become Polaris, here, and her power is magnetism, so why don't you just have her slice across the magnetic lines of force, the gravimetric lines of force? And then the speed of the Earth's rotation on its axis would just squirt it up and away it would go. In a sense Krakoa would stay in place while the Earth just rotated around its axis and revolved around the sun away from it. And off he goes into the wild blue yonder. It would be like taking a bar of soap and watching it go Pfffttt! right the air. . Len thought it was a great idea and Dave came up with the visuals and that was that."

Edited by ADAMANTIUM