• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there any options out there for UV protection of a slab?
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I have books on an indoor shelf (no windows in this room) where the binding of the book has faded just from the room lighting over the years. no sun light. So my question is, what products are out there that protect the comic book from fading, just from room lighting (over time) and the sun (if possible)?

Are there slabs that have UV protection qualities instead of just "crystal clear"?

Thank you

Would love to display slabs on a wall in my office. However, the fading is a real concern I have witnessed first hand with other books (not comic books) and paper items. Not sure why CGC does not offer a UV Protection feature with their holders. I guess they have their reasons.

My solution is to make very high res scans of the actual, store the actual away from light, then display the scan. Post #3. I read somewhere I gotta get to 50 posts to be able to enter the VIP section for the WTB forum.

Copy that. Now that I am actually researching this, I am finding holders (like the CGC holders) for sale on the net. I can create a fake and hang that on the wall.

Ha, this would be ideal. I own the real deal, I don't need to display it and let it degrade. I can display a copy!

On 2/25/2024 at 9:18 AM, Kortoga said:

Copy that. Now that I am actually researching this, I am finding holders (like the CGC holders) for sale on the net. I can create a fake and hang that on the wall.

Ha, this would be ideal. I own the real deal, I don't need to display it and let it degrade. I can display a copy!

yeah, something like that. The comic I want will have gone through a process to get signed and stay at 9.8, a road not easy (but very possible). And will probably not be repeatable as time goes by and the years click along.

So I do not want to sacrifice the color integrity of the original signed comic by allowing the only way to destroy the comic from outside the holder, UV light, even indoor lighting fixtures.

My plans right now are to buy the comic and store it away, I want to own the physical copy signed and graded, and can get this out to show people if needed for conversation.

Then I will create a "fake" version of the comic inside a type holder for display only.  No one I know will ever care or even know what they are looking at is a generated copy for display only. I may even buy a full copy of the comic just to put into the display and let that copy fade away over time.  Just my thoughts for now.

Thanks for the recommendations and ideas!  This is helping me figure out exactly how I am going to do it.

Thank you for the info MAR1979, I am not going to display the original. I will make a display version. This will 100% protect against UV's. However, this will help me in other areas.

On 2/26/2024 at 2:38 PM, Kortoga said:

Thank you for the info MAR1979, I am not going to display the original. I will make a display version. This will 100% protect against UV's. However, this will help me in other areas.

I would be curious to see how this looks! 

Good Luck!