• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 NYC Comic Art Convention Program w/5 Signatures & Sketch - Kirby, Sinnott, Wrightson, Morrow, Kaluta
1 1

9 posts in this topic

That's an amazing signature page. I agree that there's nothing about this to suggest that those signatures are anything other than authentic.

But please stop holding the front cover open by the severely-folded corner. That picture is anxiety-inducing.

Beautiful piece of history.

I have its close relative.

Years ago we bought a collection that included multiple copies of this book and other years of this convention.  One of the 1972 copies had a sticker indicating it was signed.

IMG_3503.thumb.jpeg.6197cb7372b106d1592119cfa6f796ef.jpegIMG_3504.thumb.jpeg.f9263230baee2362774fe6ec137ce546.jpegIMG_3505.thumb.jpeg.2312200ca1e2a8dacc2dbdf27023f718.jpegIMG_3506.thumb.jpeg.2069031d0343de4d9f19c7e3936a94c9.jpeg

Neal Adam’s, Gray Morrow, Murphy Anderson, Mike Royer on the first page.  Larry Ivie, Jack Kirby, Steranko on the second.

I imagine a young fan going around the show getting autographs from his heroes.  Meeting and talking to them and not lining up for the opportunity to pay for signatures.  And I wonder if my copy and FoomMember’s copy were owned by the same person, back in the day.  Can’t be many of these out there.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:03 PM, FoomMember said:

Here's another pretty nice artifact from those olde days that I thought I'd share.

1975 NYC Comic Art Convention program signed by some heavyweights!  The program itself seems unopened except for first, last and autograph pages. 

I've never fully opened any of the other pages inside just to keep it preserved.  The cover has a little wear - couple creases and a couple scratches on the back cover.  

Aside from that, very clean and the page quality & feel of the program are like it was when issued.  Gotta love the FF Surfer homage!!  :headbang:

Like the 1972 San Diego program, no certification, but the Kirby, Sinnott and Wrightson sigs look legit based on others I've collected and comparisons with others online.

Signed by:

Jack Kirby

Joe Sinnott w/ cool Cap sketch! :cloud9:

Bernie Wrightson

Michael Kaluta

Gray Morrow

nyc1.jpg

That brings back a lot of memories, as the Phil Seuling NYC show in '75 was my first big comic con.  While I still have that program, it doesn't have the cool collection of autographs yours does - instead, I had creators sign comics of theirs that I brought with for the occasion or purchased at the show.  I remember that none of them charged to autograph a book, and they universally seemed happy to do so, soaking in the joy expressed for their work by those who talked to them.  Being a show in New York, where the publishers were based, there was a head-spinning number of creators at the show, all willing to sign pieces the fans brought: Kirby, Steranko, Stan, Neal Adams, Barry Smith, Wrightson, George Perez, Claremont, Sinnott, Giacoia, and on and on.  I also had Bill Gaines sign my copy of Mad #100.

Several of my books autographed at that show have been posted here before.  Here's two of them that spent over 40 years as special pieces in my collection, now sold off along with the rest of my SA and magazine collections:

X-Men50sale.thumb.jpg.d2f1fd30c86e848ce571b8856dbae2a5.jpg     SavageT2Smithsig.thumb.jpg.e5d6d1492754049a51db4670a1ef00aa.jpg

Edited by namisgr