• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #16 - Factory Printing ERROR - INK Transfer?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Wanted to get others thoughts on this.  Thought I had a higher-grade ASM 16 (originally CGC 7.5) which after a solid cleaning/press got a 7.0 grade.

Grader notes only note the excess red INK transfer on the center right cover.  The thing is, if you look closely, its not red ink from the Daredevil glove that got smudged by someone.  You can see the detail and inking of the glove.

Rather, it looks like the factory printer was bleeding the red ink a bit a smudged it at factory.

Should this have been graded so low?  Or is this something that CGC should have not downgraded the book on?

CGC4384496-001_OBV.jpg

Edited by iae21

On 2/26/2024 at 8:07 PM, iae21 said:

Wanted to get others thoughts on this.  Thought I had a higher-grade ASM 16 (originally CGC 7.5) which after a solid cleaning/press got a 7.0 grade.

Grader notes only note the excess red INK transfer on the center right cover.  The thing is, if you look closely, its not red ink from the Daredevil glove that got smudged by someone.  You can see the detail and inking of the glove.

Rather, it looks like the factory printer was bleeding the red ink a bit a smudged it at factory.

Should this have been graded so low?  Or is this something that CGC should have not downgraded the book on?

CGC4384496-001_OBV.jpg

Unless all of the copies of this book have this flaw (which they don't), this seems fair/correct to me.  CGC is trying to give a prospective buyer confidence in the item.  As there are copies of this book that are just as nice without the red ink, this one should not be graded as if the red ink were not there.

Also for what it's worth, if the ink is not known for all examples, then it's impossible to say the ink didn't happen later, after production, or during poor storage when this comic was stacked against another with a red ink cover that transferred or some other event. 

Given these two issues, i think they did the correct thing here.