• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel is giving away "Must-Have" free comics!
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Screenshot_20240227-064830_Firefox.jpg.39d6d436412e24608b84d41357749665.jpg

Marvel Must-Haves are free 80+ page comics aimed at bringing new readers into the Marvel Universe.

Great news for Marvel fans who also love free comics: the publisher is planning a new line of free comics which collect key issues meant to bring new readers into the current Marvel Universe, and to bring lapsed readers up to speed with what fan favorite characters are up to.

But even more than just free comics, the new line of Marvel Must-Haves will actually be anthology one-shots that compile multiple issues into one single comic release with more than 80 pages of stories.

The first Marvel Must-Haves one-shot will check in with Thor and Loki, Ms. Marvel, and Deadpool and Spider-Man - all characters who are important to the MCU (or soon will be) and who are also front-and-center in current Marvel Comics - with three key issues from the last few years.

First up, there's 2016's Spider-Man/Deadpool #1 by writer Joe Kelly and artist Ed McGuiness, the creative team that developed Deadpool into the madcap weirdo we know him to be today. As implied by the title, Spider-Man/Deadpool teams the Merc With a Mouth up with your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man for some wacky adventures.

Then there's 2023's Immortal Thor #2, the second issue of the God of Thunder's current ongoing title by Al Ewing and Martin Coccolo, which centers on Thor and Loki dealing with ancient gods who predate even them.

Finally, Marvel Must-Haves #1 will include Ms. Marvel: The New Mutant #1, which is co-written by the MCU's Kamala Khan actor herself, Iman Vellani, along with co-writer Sabir Pirzada (who also worked on the show) and artist Carlos Gomez. This issue will bring readers up to speed not just on Kamala Khan's current status in Marvel Comics, but also what's been going on with the X-Men.

"These FREE issues collect multiple iconic issues that spotlight the Marvel characters and comic book series currently at the forefront of pop culture," reads Marvel's official announcement. "These stories have been handpicked to get fans in-tune with current Marvel adventures, and act as perfect jumping on points for new readers too!"

And if that's not enough free comics for you, don't forget that many publishers, including Marvel, will be giving away free comics through your local comic retailers on Saturday, May 4, Free Comic Book Day. Marvel's FCBD releases will include a chapter in the saga of Marvel's big summer crossover Blood Hunt, as well as an X-Men story, and a Spider-Man/Venom one-shot.

Marvel Must-Haves will be available starting March 6 with a Spider-Man/Deadpool cover by Ed McGuiness.

Edited by SpineTic

On 2/28/2024 at 8:52 AM, shadroch said:

Because a lot of people are making an  expensive effort to get free reading material into the public's hands, not for them to be hoarded, slabbed and stored away. 

Gotcha.

I figure that these are reprints and hopefully will be made abundantly available... if that's the case, I'm of the mindset to let all of these people go slab-happy.  Grading is expensive, and even in 9.8, these books wouldn't be worth the price of admission.

An admirable effort to prop up sagging comic sales. Probably a waste of time and money. They would be better served to come up with a better product especially at the price point they are charging.

Frankly, I would be hard pressed to go to my LCS to even pick it up for free…

Material that I’d hardly describe as modern must-haves.

Much better, high-quality modern comic stories available which could’ve been chosen instead as a promotional tool.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/28/2024 at 9:27 AM, Robot Man said:

An admirable effort to prop up sagging comic sales. Probably a waste of time and money. They would be better served to come up with a better product especially at the price point they are charging.

Frankly, I would be hard pressed to go to my LCS to even pick it up for free…

What they should be doing is hitting street fairs and big events.  Set up booths and hand out books to civilians, not give the customers of comic shops another book.

On 2/28/2024 at 2:23 PM, shadroch said:

What they should be doing is hitting street fairs and big events.  Set up booths and hand out books to civilians, not give the customers of comic shops another book.

Yeah, I just went and read the original story, and these appear to be going exclusively through the direct market.  :facepalm:

I guess nothing's stopping retailers from ordering a ton of these and doing as you say, but is the shipping on them free?  And how many retailers have time to do even more free promotion for a company who doesn't seem to give a rat's patootie about them most days?

On 2/28/2024 at 11:23 AM, shadroch said:

Maybe, but I think the shipping is leaving the port on modern comics anyway. Too little too late. How many younger kids are going into comic shops and laying down $4-5 bucks for a new comic. There is actually very little actual reading value to them. Just full of full page splash pages with very little actual verbiage. 

As I said, I don’t really think that their choices are must-haves, but that limitation is in part caused by decompressed writing and the fact that most material consists of multi-part storylines, which aren’t suitable products for sampler material of this nature, involving multiple characters and several stories, left to select from an occasional bit of one-shot mediocrity and scraping around for anything truly standout there.