• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can pressing older comics cause color breaks on the spine similar to spine rubbing (not spine ticks)
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I recently submitted a Cavewoman #1 1993 for pressing and grading. In my opinion it really didn't need pressing but requested it to be sure it was in top condition for grading. I could see no spine ticks or any creases in the covers at all. I do not recall any damage to the spine - like rubbing or color breaks. I took pics of the comic before submiting it but not detailed enough. When it was returned (as a 9.6) it had damage to the spine in the way of color breaks from what appared to be wear. Is it possible the color breaks on the spine were cause by the pressing? Again I am not referring to spine ticks (there were none to begin with).

An improper press can damage a comic; I am unsure of the type of damage you are describing though. There are countless stories on the forums about CCS destroying someones book with they type of quick hot press they are known for. This is in addition to the actual handling of the book prior to and after pressing by CCS then again by CGC. What did the grader notes say?

CGC does not take any responsibility for the mishandling of books per their TOS.

As for pressing of books; I would not use them barring a roll of the dice on books that didn't really matter (I did this during their 50% offer on some 9.6s I had signed). There are numerous trusted people who will give your books the care they deserve when pressing them and you will not doubt receive recommendations shortly.

As I said above - "When it was returned (as a 9.6) it had damage to the spine in the way of color breaks from what appared to be wear... Again I am not referring to spine ticks (there were none to begin with)." 

There were no grader notes. The more I look at the damage the more I am sure it was not there when I sent it in. I would not have sent in a comic with that much spine wear for grading.

I remember a discussion about this in the grading section. I think it was considered a manufacturing defect and didn't count against the grade, but I'm not 100% on that.

On 3/3/2024 at 7:50 AM, joeypost said:

Looks like an aggressive press job. The good news is it can be fixed or greatly improved. 

Unfortunately CCG doesn't make notes about what they found on the comic BEFORE they press it. And if they caused it (which I am convinced they did) they should fix it. I trusted their pressing to not damage my comic.

On 3/3/2024 at 2:58 PM, PMoomey said:

Unfortunately CCG doesn't make notes about what they found on the comic BEFORE they press it. And if they caused it (which I am convinced they did) they should fix it. I trusted their pressing to not damage my comic.

This isn’t an old comic by standards, but IIRC the cover stock was a little thicker compared to most comics of that era. When the thicker stock is hard folded (as in a pressing) this can make the “cracking” on the spine edge seem more pronounced. As a said earlier this can be reduced or eliminated in most cases. 

On 3/3/2024 at 7:51 AM, jas1vans said:

I remember a discussion about this in the grading section. I think it was considered a manufacturing defect and didn't count against the grade, but I'm not 100% on that.

The only thing that I would have considered as defects would be tiny dings on the upper and lower corners on the spine side. There were no spine ticks or finger creases anywhere on the covers. There are no grading comments attached to my submission so I have no idea what "damage" counted against it. I'm certainly no grader but I have been collecting comics for over 40 years and I think I have gained some knowledge of what constitutes a near mint comic and this comic was as close as I have seen for this particular Cavewoman edition. I am really upset that the company that is supposed to be the best in the business for pressing did this.

I seem to remember that insignificant corner dings on the spine didn't count against the grading either ("negligible handling or manufacturing defects").. But maybe I'm wrong on that. 

Here are pics of my Superman 206 graded 9.8 with as much or worse spine rubbing than the Cavewoman #1

Superman 206 a.jpg

Superman 206 b.jpg

Superman 206 c.jpg

Superman 206 d.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2024 at 2:42 PM, joeypost said:

This isn’t an old comic by standards, but IIRC the cover stock was a little thicker compared to most comics of that era. When the thicker stock is hard folded (as in a pressing) this can make the “cracking” on the spine edge seem more pronounced. As a said earlier this can be reduced or eliminated in most cases. 

I'm not sure I would trust CCG to fix it. And why didn't they fix it in the first place, or does this constitute an additional charge for restoration and regrading? AND does it really need to be fixed if it doesn't count against it as in my Superman comic?

Edited by PMoomey
additional comments added

On 3/3/2024 at 3:52 PM, PMoomey said:

I'm not sure I would trust CCG to fix it. And why didn't they fix it in the first place, or does this constitute an additional charge for restoration and regrading? AND does it really need to be fixed if it doesn't count against it as in my Superman comic?

The reality of things is that you can submit this book again and possibly get a 9.8 on it. No rhyme or reason to grading between 9.6 and 9.8 these days. 

Personally when I feel a book has been under graded, I hold on to it for a little while and resubmit it. My success rate for the grade bump is north of 50%. 

On 3/1/2024 at 5:12 PM, PMoomey said:

I recently submitted a Cavewoman #1 1993 for pressing and grading. In my opinion it really didn't need pressing but requested it to be sure it was in top condition for grading. I could see no spine ticks or any creases in the covers at all. I do not recall any damage to the spine - like rubbing or color breaks. I took pics of the comic before submiting it but not detailed enough. When it was returned (as a 9.6) it had damage to the spine in the way of color breaks from what appared to be wear. Is it possible the color breaks on the spine were cause by the pressing? Again I am not referring to spine ticks (there were none to begin with).

image.thumb.png.c98fc976c8c3648b41c35f319ad54d41.png

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-grading/

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

On 3/3/2024 at 3:02 PM, joeypost said:

Personally when I feel a book has been under graded, I hold on to it for a little while and resubmit it. My success rate for the grade bump is north of 50%.

That's pretty hilarious.  If the grade improves on more than 50% of the resubmissions of an untouched comic, that means that CGC's grades are incorrect (compared to their own grades at a different time) at least half the time!

On 3/3/2024 at 2:58 PM, PMoomey said:

I'm not sure why you would trust their pressing not to damage your comic. Pressing often damages comics. Sometimes the spine even splits during a press. There is no guarantee.

On 3/3/2024 at 6:40 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm not sure why you would trust their pressing not to damage your comic. Pressing often damages comics. Sometimes the spine even splits during a press. There is no guarantee.

I will definitely keep that in mind for future reference.