• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SMALL SCUFF ON THE CORNER
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Recently received my first batch of CGC graded comics back, and one comic got a 9.6, and in the grader notes, it's states 'it has a small scuff of the front bottom right of cover'. I've used every light available,  looked at  it in various angles to me and have had several friends look at it, and there is absolutely no scuff to be seen or noted. What can i do about this............this has to be a mistake.

You could probably find someone who would be willing to crack it out and scuff it for you.

On 3/3/2024 at 3:25 AM, Axe Elf said:

You could probably find someone who would be willing to crack it out and scuff it for you.

Not necessary, there is no need to scruff, there is absolutely no damage to speak of. CGC notes state 'there's a scruff on the bottom right of cover corner'. 

Grading is done expeditiously, and the logging of graders notes is thought to be a very short process that's neither comprehensive nor done with perfection.  As far as this particular comic goes, the assigned grade looks appropriate based on the generally very sharp appearance but the slight corner wear visible on the scans provided.

Posted (edited)

The story continues.......I emailed CGC with my concerns, and got this in reply, 'Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry for the confusion and inconvenience. We have reviewed the images taken of this book while it was in our custody. From the image of the front cover there does look to be some minor scuffing on the  bottom right quadrant of the front cover. From the image this is very minor with only a fading of the color instead of the removal of it completely as you would normally see with scuffs. '. Firstly they've offered to be reviewed, which I'm thinking of doing ...........though with what they have added 'to the original scruff mark' on the corner ' , I am now completeley confused . Can someone grab a image from earlier photo in this forum and circle the spot they are actually talking about? Thanks

Edited by Darthvader23

On 3/15/2024 at 11:43 PM, Darthvader23 said:

So, nobody can see what CGC are talking about?

I see what they're talking about; it looks like a small area of very light color loss below Batgirl's cape. But to be honest, that bit of corner wear on the back cover actually bothers me more...

Posted (edited)

Is this the spot your refering @The Lions Den? comic was dead mint,( Encapsulation must have caused that damage in the top corner. ) when it left my hands. Kind of scared to send my second newstand edition of this comic. 

cfhfdghfghghghjghj.jpg

Edited by Darthvader23

On 3/16/2024 at 6:20 AM, Darthvader23 said:

Is this the spot your refering @The Lions Den? comic was dead mint,( Encapsulation must have caused that damage in the top corner. ) when it left my hands. Kind of scared to send my second newstand edition of this comic. 

cfhfdghfghghghjghj.jpg

Not a big deal, but with this and the corner wear, enough to keep it out of 9.8...  

fair enough.........though before sending every comic , i took photo's of all my comics, and as you can clearly see, the difference between me sending it, and upon it being graded - the corner is near perfect. Yes, my comics were packaged 100% properly, and taped down hard for no movement. I cant seem to locate my cover photo the the'scruff section', but when i do....i'll post it here.........

IMG_0967.JPG

clearly shows damage was occured  by CGC...........OR DID THEY SWAP OUT MY COMIC FOR ANOTHER. obviously its not one of the most expensive comics on the market.......but we all know the difference between 9.6 value to a 9.8 value. And this is my first shipment of comics to CGC to be graded..............wonder what they'll do to my next lot.