• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fedex is forging customers signatures for Direct Signatures Required packages
4 4

71 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2024 at 1:27 AM, Lightning55 said:

FedEx left 5 boxes of 25 slabs each in my driveway, in the rain. About $25k worth, and I have a covered front porch. Signed my name for them.

20220109_141306.jpg.fa0a284374815162eade5a9a2f398229.jpg

A year ago, they dropped off a box of 2 comics worth $100 each at the wrong address, signed my name. I reported it to CGC, and it was never located. I checked in from time to time regarding the claim. They're "getting to it soon", has been the response.

They figure you will give up eventually, since you have no leverage. 

Man i would not be happy about that :cry:

Edited by comicjack

On 3/5/2024 at 11:15 AM, stormflora said:

I remember during COVID, it was common for pretty much every logistics company to simply "safe drop" your parcel on the porch and then leave. No signature required, even for the most expensive tier of shipping or ones marked as signatures being absolutely critical. They simply did not care due to social distancing. The only safest way to have things shipped was to a post office for pick-up instead.

The problem post-COVID is that a lot of companies still use an adapted form of this system they used for COVID, as an excuse to save on costs and expenses. They realized they could make millions more by not caring too much about parcels, and simply expect people to file claims or lawsuits (to which they attempt to use scare tactics or legalese to sneak their way out of). It's kind of like a company deliberately selling faulty products and expecting people to return/RMA them, but only 10% or less do since most people in the world can't be bothered and would rather just throw the product out.

One way to help secure a package (besides forwarding it to the post office) is to send it with a true value stated for insurance. All logistics companies will always put a bit more emphasis on parcels that are worth a lot, as they do not want to lose money on them. But this does typically mean taking losses on customs and duties if they are not domestic parcels.

Even during Covid, FedEx still had to make sure someone was at home to receive the package for Direct Signature Required. They just didn't hand the recipient at the address their electronic pad to sign. They still weren't supposed to leave packages at the doorstep with no one at home to receive the package.

CGC is only insuring the shipments for $100 through FedEx. I got an email from them a few days back. The rest comes from another insurer. Since CGC is the account holder with FedEx, I just want them to put pressure on FedEx to try and locate the package. I don't want money for the book. I just want to receive the book in a secure manner. It would be very difficult to replicate this book as it has multiple signatures on it and one of them is from someone that hasn't done a signing in close to ten years.

On 3/5/2024 at 11:29 AM, shadroch said:

I live in a retirement community, where mail is delivered to a central location, and packages are put into a different box and that key is put into your mail slot. 

Last night, around 7 PM, I was surprised to see a PO truck pull up in front of my house. The guy was delivering two boxes of media mail comics that were about thirty-five pounds each. He said since it was a 55-and-over community, he wasn't sure the receiver could lift the boxes, so he delivered them to my door. 

It's nice to see the occasional USPS employee who seems to care for people and go a step above his duties.

USPS is pretty good for the most part. I sell on Ebay and deal with them nearly every day. I will never ship a customer an order using FedEx even if it could be $5-$15 cheaper on some of the larger packages. When CGC shipped using USPS, the post office would not release the package without me signing for it. That is the way it's supposed to be done. It took a long time with USPS Registered Mail, but at least I felt comfortable that my package was secure.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:09 PM, andrew parker said:

Even during Covid, FedEx still had to make sure someone was at home to receive the package for Direct Signature Required. They just didn't hand the recipient at the address their electronic pad to sign. They still weren't supposed to leave packages at the doorstep with no one at home to receive the package.

I don't know how parcels are handled in the USA, but here in Canada during COVID, no form of signature required matter, for any logistics service. It was always "safe" dropped (aka just left on the porch) regardless of whether or not you were home to receive it (and the deliveryman ringing the doorbell as a form of courtesy was entirely at their own discretion too, which was a hit-or-miss depending on the person). Didn't matter how much the sender paid to have it signed. This was a huge issue with fellow Canadians, but the government simply turned a blind eye and expected citizens to take it up via claims and disputes. The only way to have any parcel or letter securely delivered (enough) was to send it to a post office or pick-up location instead. Often times the only way you could know if a parcel arrived was if you looked up the tracking number or enabled SMS/e-mail updates. But they're typically delayed by at least a little bit (anywhere from 15-30 minutes to even hours if the deliveryman updated the system later), which is already enough of a window for a porch pirate to steal your parcel, if they so desired.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:14 PM, andrew parker said:

USPS is pretty good for the most part. I sell on Ebay and deal with them nearly every day. I will never ship a customer an order using FedEx even if it could be $5-$15 cheaper on some of the larger packages. When CGC shipped using USPS, the post office would not release the package without me signing for it. That is the way it's supposed to be done. It took a long time with USPS Registered Mail, but at least I felt comfortable that my package was secure.

I certainly have noticed better logistics services with the government-sponsored companies as opposed to third-party. I've dealt with Canada Post and USPS on multiple accounts during and after COVID, and they seemed to be a bit better overall. When I spoke with my local post office buddy, he once explained that it's better to ship things internationally with government organizations, as there are far less hidden fees and much better service standards. He wasn't wrong.

I wrote about this when it happened, but it's worth repeating. 

When I lived on Long Island, we'd get our mail late in the day, so I was surprised when our mailman showed up one day at about 10 AM with a special delivery.  While doing a part of his route quite a distance from us, he saw my dog running loose. The mailman stopped his route, corralled him, and returned him to us. We didn't even know he was gone.

I think most PO employees do their jobs well enough but rarely do much more. Finding the ones who go above and beyond is infrequent and noteworthy. 

I've had this happen for years. I was lucky enough that it only became a problem once, when it was marked as delivered and it must have been left at another address. 

I was home all day, so I know fed ex didn't come to my house. I let CGC take care of it and FedEx couldn't produce proof of delivery. It took a good two month for CGC to pay out, but I remember I had to haggle with them for the value and I had clear proof. (Paypal receipt) That's the only part that was really frustrating.

I just received a call from FedEx stating that they are closing the case/claim because the tracking says "delivered". The customer service rep was rude as expected and said there was no evidence of the driver forging my signature even though the footage from my Ring camera proves without a doubt that the driver forged my signature.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:14 PM, andrew parker said:

USPS in my area is great. As with you, when I received my CGC shipments via USPS I or another adult family member had to sign before the boxes were surrendered.

On 3/5/2024 at 9:29 AM, namisgr said:
On 3/5/2024 at 9:21 AM, royaluglydudes said:

Is it possible to have a FedEx package held at a hub or store for pickup?  I pick up my UPS packages at a local UPS store to avoid any issues.  I'm aware that may not be possible depending on peoples' location and is an added inconvenience that we shouldn't have to do because of these companies' failings, but it would provide some peace of mind on high value packages.

Yes, it is possible to have a FedEx delivery routed to your local hub for pickup.

True, but their failure rate(or noncompliance) is so high as to make that option nearly pointless. They've even begun to heavily utilize temps to mitigate their liability. FedEx is a prime example of Corporate America getting too big for it's breeches. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/5/2024 at 1:46 PM, andrew parker said:

I just received a call from FedEx stating that they are closing the case/claim because the tracking says "delivered". The customer service rep was rude as expected and said there was no evidence of the driver forging my signature even though the footage from my Ring camera proves without a doubt that the driver forged my signature.

Get a Lawyer. I bet they'll settle with legal costs covered. Remember, not all Lawyers are created equal. Someone should begin a class action type response to show them what time it is. GOD BLESS ...

On 3/5/2024 at 11:29 AM, shadroch said:

I live in a retirement community, where mail is delivered to a central location, and packages are put into a different box and that key is put into your mail slot. 

Last night, around 7 PM, I was surprised to see a PO truck pull up in front of my house. The guy was delivering two boxes of media mail comics that were about thirty-five pounds each. He said since it was a 55-and-over community, he wasn't sure the receiver could lift the boxes, so he delivered them to my door. 

It's nice to see the occasional USPS employee who seems to care for people and go a step above his duties.

Media Mail for comics? You're lucky they weren't cut open and inspected.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:46 PM, andrew parker said:

On 3/5/2024 at 2:37 PM, jimjum12 said:

Get a Lawyer. I bet they'll settle with legal costs covered. Remember, not all Lawyers are created equal. Someone should begin a class action type response to show them what time it is. GOD BLESS ...

This. Threaten legal action. They'll settle, trust me.

On 3/5/2024 at 2:43 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Media Mail for comics? You're lucky they weren't cut open and inspected.

Hasn't been a problem for me so far after making several dozen orders on eBay, but then again, I don't order more than a dozen or so comics per Media Mail parcel.

Believe me, the postal service has better things to do than to open up every single parcel to check its contents. They only open parcels when it's obviously suspect. Customs services are more likely to open parcels up than local services, but even then, they don't want to waste time either, and typically screen parcels based on declared value, size, and weight first and foremost to determine whether they're worth the hassle.

On 3/5/2024 at 3:37 PM, stormflora said:

Believe me, the postal service has better things to do than to open up every single parcel to check its contents. They only open parcels when it's obviously suspect

That's why I commented. Bill said they were 35 pounds each. That would be "suspect" as the difference between Media rate and Ground Advantage rate is a good chunk of $$$ for that size/weight on each box.

On 3/5/2024 at 5:14 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

That's why I commented. Bill said they were 35 pounds each. That would be "suspect" as the difference between Media rate and Ground Advantage rate is a good chunk of $$$ for that size/weight on each box.

USPS also has a cubic rate that goes by the measurements rather than the weight. I can sometimes send up to a 20 lb package from North Carolina to California for just over $6. Media Mail rate would have been about three times that rate. So, you may be ripping yourself off using Media Mail over Ground Advantage Cubic Rate when shipping books.  

On 3/5/2024 at 5:37 PM, andrew parker said:

USPS also has a cubic rate that goes by the measurements rather than the weight. I can sometimes send up to a 20 lb package from North Carolina to California for just over $6. Media Mail rate would have been about three times that rate. So, you may be ripping yourself off using Media Mail over Ground Advantage Cubic Rate when shipping books.  

USPS just started cubic, at least as far as eBay shipping goes. As far as a 20 lb package from NC to CA...yeah, if it's 6"x6"x2" maybe. Otherwise, nope. A standard 1095 box that's 2 lbs from SC to CA is around $11 at least.

If any of you can, have packages sent to work. I always have my stuff sent to my work. Ebay, CGC, MCS, etc. Someone is always there to sign them and they are kept safely until I arrive (or if I'm out/vacation/etc).

The only sucky part is Saturdays for USPS, but they redeliver always on the next Monday. Fedex delivers on work/business days anyway, so it's a non-issue.

Holiday shutdowns are the only rub where my company is closed between X-mas and New Years, so I have to mind my purchases at that time. 

Plus, if you have a kid that naps, you can appreciate the no distraction from a knock or a bunch of tablet beepings outside the door that makes sensitive dogs go nuts and wake them!!

As for the few of you dealing with the drama, keep at it... ask the person who closed your case for their supervisor, etc.. be persistent. And good luck! Let us know if you crack the code here!

On 3/5/2024 at 8:29 PM, circuitryusa said:

As for the few of you dealing with the drama, keep at it... ask the person who closed your case for their supervisor, etc.. be persistent. And good luck! Let us know if you crack the code here!

Just threaten legal action. I had my FedEx important document parcel costing $300 to mail internationally get stuck in their American warehouse beyond the promised three-day arrival, and they persistently attempted to claim it was not their fault and that they had no obligation to fulfill their money-back guarantee due to "customs delays".

After I threatened legal action, they gave it back, no further questions.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:57 AM, andrew parker said:

CGC has something set in their shipments where the packages can't be rerouted to be picked up at a FedEx hub or at a local business like Staples, Walgreens, or Office Depot.

I have always been able to pick it up at the terminal. I believe they all operate the same way.

You don't have it "rerouted" to a hub. It goes to the hub (terminal) on its own, the last stop before they load it on a truck for delivery. You just arrange to have them hold it, and you go pick it up.

Not convenient, but very secure.

CGC just doesn't let you alter the destination. But to my knowledge and experience, you can always intercept it at the terminal. You show your ID and sign for it.

On 3/5/2024 at 12:38 PM, shadroch said:

I wrote about this when it happened, but it's worth repeating. 

When I lived on Long Island, we'd get our mail late in the day, so I was surprised when our mailman showed up one day at about 10 AM with a special delivery.  While doing a part of his route quite a distance from us, he saw my dog running loose. The mailman stopped his route, corralled him, and returned him to us. We didn't even know he was gone.

I think most PO employees do their jobs well enough but rarely do much more. Finding the ones who go above and beyond is infrequent and noteworthy. 

This is why I miss my old mail carrier.  Unfortunately she retired a few years back. She was absolutely amazing.  As you said went above and beyond.  Every year for Christmas I would always meet her at the mailbox and give her a good bonus of cash and homemade cookie tray . There was one year where one of my dogs had dug out of the fence behind the house and was a block away (here that is about a mile ) and was being chased by  animal control . She stopped and my dog came right to her. She talked to them and said she knew the owner and got them to let her bring him back to me. I would give anything to have her or another like her back. It truly is rare .:cloud9:

On 3/6/2024 at 9:40 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This is why I miss my old mail carrier.  Unfortunately she retired a few years back. She was absolutely amazing.  As you said went above and beyond.  Every year for Christmas I would always meet her at the mailbox and give her a good bonus of cash and homemade cookie tray . There was one year where one of my dogs had dug out of the fence behind the house and was a block away (here that is about a mile ) and was being chased by  animal control . She stopped and my dog came right to her. She talked to them and said she knew the owner and got them to let her bring him back to me. I would give anything to have her or another like her back. It truly is rare .:cloud9:

Yeah, I've met my feed of great deliverymen over the decades who actually cared about the recipients rather than the senders or corporations.

Sadly, they typically do not stick around for more than a few years.