• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bay Area recommended comic pressers?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I’ve been using a presser through my LCS, and recently they closed down. The owner still says he’ll charge me the same for the presser, but tbh the last few rounds have yielded so-so results. Also, the cost is a bit high. I’d also like to not go through a middle man.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for Bay Area (preferably in East Bay) pressers.

PS, I own a pressing machine but I don’t feel confident enough to work on bigger books, and my cleaning skills are not amazing.

On 4/11/2024 at 8:03 AM, joeypost said:

Why do they need to be local?

Good question. I'd like to reduce the amount of shipping between submitting my comics, getting them pressed, and submitting them to CGC. I've had an issue in the past in which I submitted a few comics to a presser located a few states away and it was lost in the mail when it was shipped back. Obviously not the presser's fault, but it made me cautious about the fickle nature of shipping expensive stuff. Plus I'd like to actually meet the presser face-to-face and express any concerns/comments I have regarding certain comics I'm submitting.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:46 AM, FigaroToe said:

Good question. I'd like to reduce the amount of shipping between submitting my comics, getting them pressed, and submitting them to CGC. I've had an issue in the past in which I submitted a few comics to a presser located a few states away and it was lost in the mail when it was shipped back. Obviously not the presser's fault, but it made me cautious about the fickle nature of shipping expensive stuff. Plus I'd like to actually meet the presser face-to-face and express any concerns/comments I have regarding certain comics I'm submitting.

I sent my books to a presser in Florida.  He’s awesome and delivers the books to CGC.  Feel free to message me and I’ll give you the link to his site 👍🏻

On 4/11/2024 at 10:46 AM, FigaroToe said:

hm So here's where I'm at.  I've used a couple local pressors. 

One kept my books for more than 3 months before submitting to CGC, I believe he was waiting for enough customer's books to fill a short box.  I wasn't too happy with the delay but to be fair speed isn't my #1 priority, getting books pressed safely and with good results is most important.  And while all of the books he pressed came back as I expected there were no 'good' surprises.  Nothing that surprised me to the positive.

The second pressor only worked on one book, Hulk 181, and I was happy with the result.  He's actually 200 miles South of me so it's a pain to deliver and pick up books from him so haven't used him since.  But a few years ago his business imploded, there's accusations of partners taking money and missing books and it's a mess.

So my gentle advice is to be very very careful who you pick to work on your books.  If something goes wrong you may be in a world of hurt and you'll have no good resolution.  Look for someone who's been in the pressing business for a long time and who has a sterling reputation.  If you want to choose a local guy who you can get to know face-to-face I can understand that.  As far as reducing the amount of shipping I don't see any difference between giving them to a local guy and him sending them to CGC versus sending them to a pressor located in Florida who delivers them to CGC after he's done his work.  There's shipping to Florida either way and you'll have to drive to a local location versus the pressor driving to the local CGC facility.  

And if you want to read a thread about 'trusted restoration/pressing company' going wrong check this out.  It's a Stephen King comic horror movie.

On 4/11/2024 at 8:09 PM, thehumantorch said:

hm So here's where I'm at.  I've used a couple local pressors. 

One kept my books for more than 3 months before submitting to CGC, I believe he was waiting for enough customer's books to fill a short box.  I wasn't too happy with the delay but to be fair speed isn't my #1 priority, getting books pressed safely and with good results is most important.  And while all of the books he pressed came back as I expected there were no 'good' surprises.  Nothing that surprised me to the positive.

The second pressor only worked on one book, Hulk 181, and I was happy with the result.  He's actually 200 miles South of me so it's a pain to deliver and pick up books from him so haven't used him since.  But a few years ago his business imploded, there's accusations of partners taking money and missing books and it's a mess.

So my gentle advice is to be very very careful who you pick to work on your books.  If something goes wrong you may be in a world of hurt and you'll have no good resolution.  Look for someone who's been in the pressing business for a long time and who has a sterling reputation.  If you want to choose a local guy who you can get to know face-to-face I can understand that.  As far as reducing the amount of shipping I don't see any difference between giving them to a local guy and him sending them to CGC versus sending them to a pressor located in Florida who delivers them to CGC after he's done his work.  There's shipping to Florida either way and you'll have to drive to a local location versus the pressor driving to the local CGC facility.  

And if you want to read a thread about 'trusted restoration/pressing company' going wrong check this out.  It's a Stephen King comic horror movie.

When I spoke about books being in the mail I meant post pressing.