• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little Giant old school comic book show April 13 Concord NH
3 3

64 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2024 at 1:22 PM, TerrysComics said:

With a very large Guest list , I understand the need to raise the admission price, Guests can be a very large of a Promoters Budget.

I thought this was an “old school comic show” not a media extravaganza. The more and the bigger the guest list, the more it costs the promoter and attendees. $50. Admission for a smaller one day show is going to probably turn off a lot potential attendees. And it is a bit steep.

Great list of dealers though for those just going to buy vintage comics. Just don’t let a little success get out of hand…

On 3/22/2024 at 11:36 AM, Robot Man said:

I thought this was an “old school comic show” not a media extravaganza. The more and the bigger the guest list, the more it costs the promoter and attendees. $50. Admission for a smaller one day show is going to probably turn off a lot potential attendees. And it is a bit steep.

Great list of dealers though for those just going to buy vintage comics. Just don’t let a little success get out of hand…

Yes, it was originally touted as a "No fake Legos" show, but it has become a bit gimmicky with "influencers" and the whole Red Carpet Experience for $50, which is just a big upcharge for a one-hour jump on the masses. To make matters worse, the first time I paid the early admission, one dealer said "Good luck on finding a good deal anywhere in here.. these other dealers are like vultures and picked me clean last night before the show and then they displayed the purchased books for way more money"... I am sure that's normal for the night before a con, but it didn't make me feel good hearing it(shrug)

Edited by thewritestuff

On 3/22/2024 at 1:23 PM, thewritestuff said:

Yes, it was originally touted as a "No fake Legos" show, but it has become a bit gimmicky with "influencers" and the whole Red Carpet Experience for $50, which is just a big upcharge for a one-hour jump on the masses. To make matters worse, the first time I paid the early admission, one dealer said "Good luck on finding a good deal anywhere in here.. these other dealers are like vultures and picked me clean last night before the show and then they displayed the purchased books for way more money"... I am sure that's normal for the night before a con, but it didn't make me feel good hearing it(shrug)

Yes, it is not only normal but perfectly acceptable. Dealers pay a lot for their booth space. Everybody knows this and a part of going to shows.

The dealer who told you that probably did the same thing. And if not, probably profited from early dealer buys. 

But, at any show, there are deals that are missed by those not willing to work hard enough…

On 3/22/2024 at 4:23 PM, thewritestuff said:

Some guys even show up on Thursday. Any VIP badge to any show isn't worth it, People's best bet is to try and get a dealer's pass and show up before it's open to the public.  

On 3/20/2024 at 4:22 PM, TerrysComics said:

With a very large Guest list , I understand the need to raise the admission price, Guests can be a very large of a Promoters Budget.

Guests are the reason I stopped going to comic shows. I do no want to pay $20 or $30 to be able to see dealers' wares just because there are guests. To me that's like paying admission to go to the store. I couldn't care less about the guests. Maybe these shows could have a shopping-only admission price and a separate, higher price for people who want to have access to the guests.

On 3/31/2024 at 8:55 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Guests are the reason I stopped going to comic shows. I do no want to pay $20 or $30 to be able to see dealers' wares just because there are guests. To me that's like paying admission to go to the store. I couldn't care less about the guests. Maybe these shows could have a shopping-only admission price and a separate, higher price for people who want to have access to the guests.

You don't wanna pay 20-30 to get in but it's ok to spend hundreds or thousands on a dealer's ware inside...?  

On 3/31/2024 at 5:21 PM, Kevin76 said:

You don't wanna pay 20-30 to get in but it's ok to spend hundreds or thousands on a dealer's ware inside...?  

Yes, that's right—just like I don't pay for admission to a store but might buy hundreds or thousands of dollars on purchases.

On 3/31/2024 at 1:18 AM, Kevin76 said:

Some guys even show up on Thursday. Any VIP badge to any show isn't worth it, People's best bet is to try and get a dealer's pass and show up before it's open to the public Randolph makes his rounds.  

FTFY.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:18 PM, dick pontoon said:

FTFY.

Every dealer makes their rounds, not just Steve. At least he doesn't show up Thursday like some do.  

Looking forward to this one! Looks like some great dealers, will need to stay focused otherwise :dollars:

Anyone else getting excited?? The show floor looks great and the selection of comics is fantastic.

It’s GIVEAWAY time :whatthe:
I have ONE (1) golden ticket left to whoever claims it in the thread. You will need to pick up the ticket tomorrow 4/13 before the show or when you arrive.

1st :takeit: comment is the ^^.
IMG_3330.thumb.jpeg.687d5f2246e548f8656676996b042896.jpeg

Edited by AmazingComics413

On 4/12/2024 at 6:15 PM, AmazingComics413 said:

Anyone else getting excited?? The show floor looks great and the selection of comics is fantastic.

It’s GIVEAWAY time :whatthe:
I have ONE (1) golden ticket left to whoever claims it in the thread. You will need to pick up the ticket tomorrow 4/13 before the show or when you arrive.

1st :takeit: comment is the ^^.
IMG_3330.thumb.jpeg.687d5f2246e548f8656676996b042896.jpeg

Claim?

On 4/12/2024 at 2:58 PM, Ryan. said:

Make sure you say hi.

It would be cool to put a few faces to the names around here. I'll be there from 10:30 - 2ish. @Ryan. are you setting up or just attending?

On 4/12/2024 at 9:28 PM, universal soldier said:

It would be cool to put a few faces to the names around here. I'll be there from 10:30 - 2ish. @Ryan. are you setting up or just attending?

Just attending. 

I was expecting to see more focus on pulps this year but I only saw them at a couple booths, including at Terry's as usual. 

The big wall books on every dealer's wall was Dave Stevens. That's what happens when common $10 books suddenly 10x overnight I guess.

For the most part, prices were terrible. Not even worth trying to negotiate down. Not every dealer but certainly the majority. For example I was hoping to find a high grade Crow 2. I found two dealers that each had a copy in roughly F/VF condition with $300 price tags. That's an ultra specific example but it's illustrative.

Batman 227 seemed to be a highly requested book, for some reason. 

I overheard the phrase, "I'll be back" from every tire kicker handing a book back they were looking at. Not sure why that phrase was so popular. 

Also popular this year were people with outrageous body odor.