• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

woo hoo!! Comic books ranks at #2 after Philosophy

12 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2024 at 3:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

happy memories of mixing the two up for some intellectual variety.

I recall the day I read some Plato, and later on sat down to marvel at the sophistication of Youngblood issue 1.

Never thought in my lifetime that I would hear Hank Kanalz's weak writing in 'Youngblood' compared to Plato's Greek philosophy. Make mine Marvel (M-she-U) instead. :womanhero:

On 3/5/2024 at 11:54 PM, aardvark88 said:

Never thought in my lifetime that I would hear Hank Kanalz's weak writing in 'Youngblood' compared to Plato's Greek philosophy. Make mine Marvel (M-she-U) instead. :womanhero:

A rare opportunity presented itself.

On 3/5/2024 at 3:52 PM, grebal said:

The chart ranks reviewers, which ain't the same as readers, but still, good job all.

On 3/5/2024 at 7:31 PM, thehumantorch said:

Interesting how many women read fantasy in comparison to men

As noted, the chart is about reviewers, not readers, and as a user of GoodReads, I'm not sure it is a good proxy.

Further, the chart shows percentages, not numbers; that is, it shows than among those reviewers of philosophy titles, 60% are male, and 40% are female. So it really doesn't tell us anything about the subject line of this thread (at most comic books were reviewed by men more heavily than anything besides philosophy), nor how many men or women read/reviewed a particular genre.

Signed,

Captain Math, with an assist by The Pedantic Kid

On 3/5/2024 at 3:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

happy memories of mixing the two up for some intellectual variety.

I recall the day I read some Plato, and later on sat down to marvel at the sophistication of Youngblood issue 1.

At least we can't blame the lame writing of 'Youngblood' at the feet of Rob Liefeld. :nyah:

On 3/6/2024 at 12:42 PM, ttfitz said:

As noted, the chart is about reviewers, not readers, and as a user of GoodReads, I'm not sure it is a good proxy.

Further, the chart shows percentages, not numbers; that is, it shows than among those reviewers of philosophy titles, 60% are male, and 40% are female. So it really doesn't tell us anything about the subject line of this thread (at most comic books were reviewed by men more heavily than anything besides philosophy), nor how many men or women read/reviewed a particular genre.

Signed,

Captain Math, with an assist by The Pedantic Kid

In fact, not only is comics #2 on the list, TPBs ("graphic novels") are #4 !

On 3/6/2024 at 12:42 PM, ttfitz said:

So it really doesn't tell us anything about the subject line of this thread (at most comic books were reviewed by men more heavily than anything besides philosophy), nor how many men or women read/reviewed a particular genre.

good catch.  You could turn the chart upside down and it would still provide the same information, just with comic books at the bottom.  Chart only says that women review way more than men do overall...but in 4 categories men review more than women.  Comic books and graphic novels being 2 of those 4.  No champagne popping is warranted.   

On 3/5/2024 at 4:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  Many happy memories of mixing the two up for some intellectual variety.

We had Stan Lee!!!     Who needs Plato. 

With great power comes great responsibility.

Nuff Said!!

On 3/6/2024 at 9:58 PM, Nick Furious said:

Chart only says that women review way more than men do overall

Hmmm, I'm not sure it even tells us that. Once again, it shows percentages, and within the particular genre.

So, let's do an extremely simplified hypothetical - let's say there are 100 reviews for "philosophy" books, and 10 for "Historical romance." From the chart, that means there were around 61 male reviewers (approximately 60 for philosophy and 1 for historical romance) and 49 female reviewers.

I would agree that, given the heavy weighting towards genres where women reviewers predominate, it suggests that women probably review more than men.

Assuming I found the right study that this came from, if we want to look at this in regards comic readers, there is actually something I found rather interesting listed in the abstract:

"There are known gender differences in book preferences in terms of both genre and author gender but their extent and causes are not well understood. It is unclear whether reader preferences for author genders occur within any or all genres and whether readers evaluate books differently based on author genders within specific genres. This article exploits a major source of informal book reviews, the Goodreads.com website, to assess the influence of reader and author genders on book evaluations within genres. It uses a quantitative analysis of 201,560 books and their reviews, focusing on the top 50 user-specified genres. The results show strong gender differences in the ratings given by reviewers to books within genres, such as female reviewers rating contemporary romance more highly, with males preferring short stories. For most common book genres, reviewers give higher ratings to books authored by their own gender, confirming that gender bias is not confined to the literary elite. The main exception is the comic book, for which male reviewers prefer female authors, despite their scarcity. A word frequency analysis suggested that authors wrote, and reviewers valued, gendered aspects of books within a genre. For example, relationships and romance were disproportionately mentioned by women in mystery and fantasy novels. These results show that, perhaps for the first time, it is possible to get large scale evidence about the reception of books by typical readers, if they post reviews online."