• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X+Men #1 Signed By Stan Lee
2 2

13 posts in this topic

It’s hard to grade when the comic has been left in that plastic case. There are lots of obvious defects, but it looks like a there may be issues that you would need to point out or at least provide more/better pictures. Having said that, I think you’re looking at a 1.5 to 1.8.

Edited by Cerebus3000

On 3/6/2024 at 4:21 AM, Cerebus3000 said:

It’s hard to grade when the comic has been left in that plastic case. There are lots of obvious defects, but it looks like a there may be issues that you would need to point out or at least provide more/better pictures. Having said that, I think you’re looking at a 1.5 to 1.8.

Thank you for your reply. My apologies I haven't taken it out of the case in years. The main issues would be the front cover was torn and a piece of tape was placed over it decades before I purchased it in 1993. There is also some black pen scribbled over the letter X. Other than that there is wear on the backing and around the edges. There is also discoloration on the front and the back. It is still all in one piece and isn't missing any pages. The Stan Lee signature is very clear, complete and in pen and includes the date it was signed. A childhood friends father worked for Marvel on the X Men cartoon that ran from 1992 until 1997 and had an office next to Stan Lee. She got it signed for me as a gift. 

Any other questions or clarifications please ask. I will see about taking it out of the case for better pictures.

On 3/6/2024 at 11:36 AM, Point Five said:

Nice! I'd guess 1.8

I think this is low enough grade that it would get a Universal label with a notation of the signature & not a green label, right?

On 3/6/2024 at 11:52 AM, scburdet said:

I think this is low enough grade that it would get a Universal label with a notation of the signature & not a green label, right?

I'm far from an expert but that makes sense to me.  (thumbsu

1.5-1.8 likely.

Universal. Signature wouldn't make a difference in the grade at this grade.

Thanks for posting.

On 3/6/2024 at 1:52 PM, scburdet said:

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Can I ask what the difference between a green label and a universal label? Is one better than the other?

On 3/6/2024 at 2:22 PM, Aleks632 said:

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Can I ask what the difference between a green label and a universal label? Is one better than the other?

Green labels are Qualified labels. They are basically "but for" grades: the book would have the listed grade, but for one specific defect (that generally isn't normal wear). So a generally flawless book with an unwitnessed cover signature might get a 9.8Q, meaning it would have been a 9.8, but for that signature. Or a fairly nice copy of Incredible Hulk 181 with the Marvel Value Stamp clipped out might get an 8.0Q; if it was "straight graded" into a Universal label, the same book would probably be a 1.5 or thereabouts because it would be considered incomplete.

The problem with Qualified books is that the universe of things that make your book Qualified is huge. Unwitnessed signatures -- like your book has -- are, to a lot of collectors, more or less fine. Clipped-out panels? Not so much. Add in the fact that books with structural production defects also get green labels. I've got a 9.8Q book with the label text: "MANUFACTURED WITH COVER & 1ST FOUR WRAPS INSERTED TWICE, AFFECTS STORY. INCOMPLETE."

Regardless, the general public impression of Qualified books is that they're books that "look nice, but have something really wrong with them", and that hurts their resale value, even if that's not always a fair evaluation of why the label is green.

In any case, this book is a low-grade enough copy that it doesn't matter. The unwitnessed signature is not, as they say, a "controlling defect". It's presence or absence doesn't make any difference in how the overall book will grade. Which means you won't get a "but for" grade. You'll get a Universal grade, with a blue label (possibly with a label note saying there's a name written on pen in cover, and probably saying there's tape on the cover). And it's tough to evaluate this book from these pictures, but 1.5 or 1.8 are pretty good guesses for what the grade might be, I think.

On 3/7/2024 at 4:55 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

1.5 to 1.8, max.

Personally, I'd keep it ungraded.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Why would you keep it ungraded? I was told grading it and having it in a sealed CGC case was a good idea and would preserve its value.