• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

signature series + COA
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Quick question, i,m aware of the signature series of cgc, that cgc witness the signature being signed by the artist,- but what about signed comics that come with a C.O.A . - stating the fact this comic was signed by 'whomever' by 'whenever' . I cant seem to find any examples of signature series comics signed with a COA in a CGC slab? What happens, I would assume it would still be a signature series comic, but dose the COA mean anything CGC?

Obviously,  signature series are worth more value  being cited by CGC and authenticated, are the ones that come with C.O.A worth the same? or better yet, stay away from them........? thoughts

Edited by Darthvader23

On 3/5/2024 at 11:19 PM, Darthvader23 said:

womp womp...

CGC does not recognize any signature that they or a facilitator does not personally witness, this is why you cannot find any examples.

If you try to submit a comic with a signature not witnessed it will be returned with a green labeled and "name written on cover" noted, or a blue label and significant grade reduction. In addition never send any COA to CGC as they will not return it nor will it be encapsulated with the slab.

If you have autographed books with COA's and want them authenticated/slabbed you will need to use the other company.

On 3/6/2024 at 2:24 AM, DougC said:

CGC does not recognize any signature that they or a facilitator does not personally witness, this is why you cannot find any examples.

This, and the rest of DougC's reponse, is 100% correct. 

On 3/6/2024 at 12:19 AM, Darthvader23 said:

Obviously,  signature series are worth more value being cited by CGC and authenticated, are the ones that come with C.O.A worth the same? or better yet, stay away from them........? thoughts

In general, the market values CGC Signature Series higher than a book with a C.O.A.  That's because with a CGC SS book, a buyer has a high degree of confidence that the signature is authentic.  A non-SS book will typically sell for less because a signature can easily be faked, and many certificates of authenticity can easily be faked as well.  Even if a third party certifies that they believe the signature to be authentic, there's still a greater chance the signature is a fake than with a SS book.

Years ago, to illustrate the point about how easy it was to fake a signature and a certificate of authenticity, I created a signed Classics Illustrated Tom Sawyer comic.  I signed it "Samuel Clemens" in sharpie, and I printed a fancy-looking certificate for it.  If you read the certificate carefully, it indicated that the signature was NOT authentic. And of course it was not authentic because Twain died decades before the comic was published.  That book came in handy in disucssions of "should I trust a COA?"

Should you stay away from non-SS books?  That's up to you.  If you have a high degree of confidence that a signature is authentic even though it's not CGC SS, and you really want it for your collection, then you may decide a non-SS book is for you because it'll save you a few bucks over a SS book.  Perhaps you really want a signature from a creator who has never done Signature Series books like, say, Wallace Wood.  Perhaps you want to still read a book that's signed.  There could be plenty of reasons why you may decide to buy non-SS signed books, and they all focus on your personal reason for buying the book.

Edited by SOTIcollector

I'm not really a 'signature series hunter', though I have a few, but i am definitely a huge spiderboy fan and recently purchased this issue ( ltd to 300 ).So, to be fair........it would of been better to get one of these comics with no signature + coa , than actually what i purchased..

s-l1600 (13).jpg