• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pretty big omission on X-Factor 23 slab
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Was reading the Simonsons’ run on X-Factor as I had never done so before and got to issue 23 where we finally see the Horseman Death (Archangel) for the first time. Pretty cool scene, it’s a full appearance and he announces himself as well, you can see it below. But then I went to see a slab and that first appearance isn’t mentioned at all.

IMG_1504.thumb.jpeg.75617ec6f1357f40797e8576e1fd2004.jpegIMG_1505.thumb.jpeg.6d24bf524b57c285b54f9c1f29344249.jpegIMG_1507.jpeg.c2ebcb87be4ee4c718f891a264784501.jpeg

So I thought, maybe since he isnt called Archangel here, only in more than 10 issues later, and is just Death, maybe thats why.

But then the slab for the next issue, 24, says it’s the first appearance of Archangel. No it isn’t. I get one comic being more valued than another or considered more key to some (Hulk 181 over 180 for instance) but that doesn’t mean the labelling on 24 can be flat out wrong and the slab on 23 being sorely lacking in an important detail.

IMG_1508.thumb.jpeg.80d5015ee5f154fdb92b9887e634aaf1.jpeg

Edited by William-James88

I'm not sure of the history of 'Death' and 'Archangel' - was there an editorial change between the issues to call him 'Archangel' in #24? I imagine the notation would/should be 1st Appearance of Death (Archangel), if anything. Issue #24 could also have a notation of 1st Appearance of Archangel - since that is (assuming) where his permanent character name is established.

Again with the 'cameo' 'first appearance' debate: I would agree with you - there should be a notation that it's a first appearance, because he's not just popping in - he's in the story, training with the other Horsemen - even if it's not the name he's commonly called.

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 10:26 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm not sure of the history of 'Death' and 'Archangel' - was there an editorial change between the issues to call him 'Archangel' in #24? I imagine the notation would/should be 1st Appearance of Death (Archangel), if anything. Issue #24 could also have a notation of 1st Appearance of Archangel - since that is (assuming) where his permanent character name is established.

Again with the 'cameo' 'first appearance' debate: I would agree with you - there should be a notation that it's a first appearance, because he's not just popping in - he's in the story, training with the other Horsemen - even if it's not the name he's commonly called.

He is only called Death in issue 24. The first time he’s called Archangel is in issue 38 when he rejoins the x-men.

And yeah we arent even at “first full app” vs “cameo” debate simce his existence isnt even mentioned on the 23 slab. This just looks like a long running omission/mistake that was never corrected since the books arent commonly read now and only used as assets/collectibles.

Edited by William-James88

On 3/6/2024 at 8:29 AM, William-James88 said:

He is only called Death in issue 24. The first time he’s called Archangel is in issue 38 when he rejoins the x-men.

Oh wow - I didn't know that. I mean, I read those issues as a kid - but my memory always thought he had always been called Archangel!

On 3/6/2024 at 9:29 AM, William-James88 said:

And yeah we arent even at “first full app” vs “cameo” debate simce his existence isnt even mentioned on the 23 slab. This just looks like a long running omission/mistake that was never corrected since the books arent commonly read now and only used as assets/collectibles.

I've heard it mentioned before, but now that there is this thread, maybe post to get some feedback :cheers:

As I've posted before (years ago):

"Death/Archangel first appears as a monochrome background character (with the rest of the Horsemen) in 21, followed by multiple panels in shadow in 22, then shows his new form and abilities in 23. Then he gets the cover of issue 24, in which his change is revealed to X-Factor. Various characters call him Death, Death Angel, Dark Angel, etc. until he is named "Archangel" by the Beast at the end of issue 38."

Warren Worthington III was not a new character and X-Factor 23 fully showed how he had been transformed.