• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink
4 4

153 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2024 at 8:08 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Just had the perfect example of why HA does it better. Cleaning up after dinner, finishing up some wine, talking to my wife, basically paying attention to real life, when I get the text from HA that an auction is ending. Stop for 2 secs, sign in, auction rolls around, I bid it up and bang -- got the page and moved the needle by 20% for the seller.

Defend CL as much as you like -- and I once sold 100+ pages through them a decade ago, so I hate to bash them -- but they just can't replicate that level of immediacy with their outdated practices. I wish they would, though.

I don’t do that when I want to buy something. I stop whatever I am doing, early, waiting patiently for the piece to come up for the live auction, watching the other bidding, and then bid it. My better half knows not to disturb me, and I also ignore all calls, including those from my kids. I can always clean up, drink, talk or do almost anything else later. If I’m in, it’s to win, unless the price goes too high. So while I appreciate HA’s business-like approach, I am perfectly comfortable pocketing the now 12% difference.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:22 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t do that when I want to buy something. I stop whatever I am doing, early, waiting patiently for the piece to come up for the live auction, watching the other bidding, and then bid it. My better half knows not to disturb me, and I also ignore all calls, including those from my kids. I can always clean up, drink, talk or do almost anything else later. If I’m in, it’s to win, unless the price goes too high. So while I appreciate HA’s business-like approach, I am perfectly comfortable pocketing the now 12% difference.

Life's too short brother 😆 

On 3/27/2024 at 6:22 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Do you get the flutter of butterflies in your stomach and heart palpitations too :) I can hear my heart beat in my ears during live bidding a lot I really want. Full reptile brain.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:27 AM, cstojano said:

Do you get the flutter of butterflies in your stomach and heart palpitations too :) I can hear my heart beat in my ears during live bidding a lot I really want. Full reptile brain.

I used to. My current trick is to set no ceiling on what I bid, just a consideration of how much I like it. Then, worry about cost later.

On 3/28/2024 at 4:16 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I retired at 52. Once money is no longer an object, time is the most valuable asset.

Not to me. It's how I live the time I have.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:27 AM, cstojano said:

Full reptile brain.

That's so odd - that's the second reference to our reptile brains I've heard today in the past two hours, and before that - I don't think I ever heard that reference. Crazy!

• Administrator

The title of the thread has been edited.    I also removed 2 posts and all quotes of those posts.  It is not ok to call specific people names. Especially if the person is a member here.  Also, do not change the title back.  This isn't up for discussion.  If it turns into this, I will lock the thread.  

On 3/29/2024 at 8:36 PM, CGC Mike said:

The title of the thread has been edited.    I also removed 2 posts and all quotes of those posts.  It is not ok to call specific people names. Especially if the person is a member here.  Also, do not change the title back.  This isn't up for discussion.  If it turns into this, I will lock the thread.  

It is ironic that the company in question (which has representatives on this board, and uses this board to sell its services) chose not to comment all this time. 

I shall be more responsible in the future and use such phrases as "falls woefully short of customer expectations" or "refuses to upgrade technology for a more pleasurable client experience." That is corporate speak anyone can digest, I am sure. Well, except for poor George Orwell in his grave. 

On 3/30/2024 at 9:05 AM, KirbyCollector said:

It is ironic that the company in question (which has representatives on this board, and uses this board to sell its services) chose not to comment all this time. 

I'd guess that they are not going to bother commenting - especially online - because one, people on either side of the debate have made up their mind; two, it justifies the negative conversations others are having and could tie them up into discussions that would ultimately work against their brand, and; three, nothing escalates civil conversation to Mussolini fist-waving balcony rantings like talking with an official representative of the company a person is chastising.

I'm glad the title was changed, I think that was a bit harsh anyways - but I'm also a fan of CLink, so maybe I'm just being biased.

Edited by Dr. Balls