• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have Paperbacks become the “next big thing”?
1 1

95 posts in this topic

I can't even crack any of the sales threads before they get picked over or sold out! Leave it to me to abandon the comic market and fall into a hot collectibles market. 

However, are these hot or the next big thing? It could be just the 10 or so active people on the pulp portion of this sight bringing heightened awareness to each other i.e. I haven't seen that, maybe I should go look for it on eBay. When I buy a book I look at past sales on eBay etc. and often find that most of the things I am buying haven't sold in over 6 months even though there are multiple copies available. People buying in the sales threads have been the same 4-6 people as far as I can tell. Would be 7 if I didn't miss all of the threads.

I don't think that pulps etc. will be "hot" until there are more books on the registry and fairly accurate pricing data..like GPA for comics.

However, if I can get books, pulps, and digests that I think are cool for under 50 or 100 dollars count me in. Far cheaper than comics!

What is the audience for these vintage paperbacks?  It seems to me the buyers tend to be older white men. I cant recall the last time I sold a 1950s/60s paperback to anyone under 55.  That doesn't speak well for the future. 

All good points posted here. Do I really think PBs are taking off? Not really. I have just seen a lot of renewed interest in them. They are hot sellers when I take a box out to a show. Just can’t keep them or replace them when I sell them. The young hipsters really eat them up. The folks here on the boards have pretty good sell through at a brisk pace when they post them.

Like Pulps, they seem to sell best based on the covers or subject matter. And heck, like slabbed comics, the cover seems to be everything. I have always been primarily a cover collector for Pulps and PBs. I do occasionally read some but don’t often have the time anymore.

Compared to comics, the prices are very low and I see that is a strong attraction. That, and the fact that there is very little information to draw upon. Will they ever see huge price spikes like comics or now  pulps? I doubt it. But a fun and affordable as well as challenging area of paper collecting. I no longer go out of my way to find them but find it hard to not buy them when they turn up.

On 3/11/2024 at 8:29 AM, shadroch said:

What is the audience for these vintage paperbacks?  It seems to me the buyers tend to be older white men. I cant recall the last time I sold a 1950s/60s paperback to anyone under 55.  That doesn't speak well for the future. 

I do it all the time at flea markets. The young “hipster” crowd that buy my vinyl records love them. They, of course only do so when priced right and often buy several at a time. The problem is finding them again at a price where I can make enough if a profit to make it worth while…

This is a timely thread because I am really new to the PB hobby. I’m more interested in first editions — the more rarity the more interest. Anything that is rare, and that has a coolness factor or historical significance, garners my attention.  And I love to read. Books and ideas in them hold special value to me. I won’t be reading any first edition purchases because I am not gentle enough. I hope to find either a beater to read or find it on Audible or Spotify. 

I really like the historical books — Natzi’s / KKK hoods / books with a “banned” nature — not because I believe in their outlandish ideas, but because we need to remember the history. No whitewashing or blurring truth. Those books, in first editions, get my interest. 

I also like the tough-guy detective scene. Philip Marlowe and company. The PB’s with beautiful, scantily-clad women are fun to see on the boards, and I’d pick up the more rare, tasteful covers, but I need to pass on having my kids discover a stack of naughty ladies of the night laying around! 

Of course, I may look back on this post and realize my interests have changed. These are my initial interests — guttural attractions. The boardies have been a great help, so far. Surfing Alien’s knowledge and willingness to help has been great! Same with JimJum12. 

On 3/11/2024 at 8:29 AM, shadroch said:

I'm only 52, but that doesn't really argue against your basic point that well.

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm 49 and close enough :D

That said, I see interest in the general subject of pulp fiction (if not pulps/pbs in particular) from at least some of the younger crowd that I'd think would translate.

I don't hit the LCS very much any more but am pretty amazed at the diversity when I do.  Very different from years gone by. Ofc, the owners still look at me funny when I say the word "pulps," so that hasn't changed -

Having just moved to Tucson in the past few months, I'm still exploring the various comic/card/toy/ shops and what I'm most struck by is how empty they usually are.  New comic day and weekends are busy, but I can count on having a long conversation with the staff the rest of the week.

On 3/11/2024 at 5:55 PM, alecholland said:

Anyway, I think we have just uncovered several board members whose tastes/preferences either for financial reasons or just for a change of pace have switched to book collecting. Perhaps comic and/or pulp collecting has also lost some of it's appeal because the "thrill of the hunt" isn't there as much anymore as well. When I first started collecting comics again 20+ years ago, there were quite a few comics that I thought were rare or at least hard to find. However, I've since realized almost everything I want really isn't that tough to find anymore. Plus, the comics that are actually rare, I can no longer afford. So, paperback book collecting presents a new and exciting challenge for me and I think many other board members feel the same. It has much of the same appeal to me as comic collecting did when I first started - there is some fantastic cover art, some true rarities, and I enjoy kicking back on a lazy Sunday morning with a cup of coffee and reading for an hour or two. I also don't worry as much about accidentally chipping or bending the corner of a $20 paperback as much as I do a $200 comic if I decide to read it.

100% this.

On 3/11/2024 at 6:55 PM, alecholland said:

It was awesome. I didn't think of myself as a paperback collector though until the last couple years when I realized I had about 500 paperbacks and I said to my wife, "I think I collect paperbacks." She was like, "duh."

:signfunny:

On 3/11/2024 at 3:58 PM, Randall Dowling said:

All the booksellers I talk to say that business is way up and the biggest problem can be finding material to sell.  From what they tell me, there are a lot of younger people collecting some of these books due to the salacious and, by current standards, completely inappropriate cover art and language.  You don't have to search very hard online to find tons of t-shirts, coffee mugs, and poster reproductions of classic paperback covers.

I'm obviously biased because I love paperback books.  But it feels like the next logical stage for a collector of comics to evolve to books and magazines.  It makes me happy to share these cool books I've found with others that appreciate the same stuff.  In a lot of ways, that's one of the reasons I enjoyed comics for so long- the camaraderie with other collectors.  And I've been blessed to have a number of knowledgeable collectors share the wisdom with me.  So, I try to pass on what I've found and pay it forward.

I watch a lot of auctions on eBay and the number of bidders is definitely going up all the time.  I've sold a lot of comics to fund magazines and books.  And I'll probably sell a lot more.  As always, my recommendation is to buy what you enjoy.  I love looking at my shelves and seeing all the different titles, pulling them down and looking at the covers by master illustrators- truly amazing talents that make comic art seem a little raw by comparison.  It's a lot more fun than buying slabs.

The thrill of discovery and exploration is real.  2c

The thrill of discovery as well as affordable prices was what drew me to Pulps and PB’s in the first place.

Back in the ‘80’s, local SO CA folks like Redbeard, Dave Smith and John McLaughlin introduced me to PB’s. They were hot in this area and bringing, at the time, pretty good money for a lot of them. They were also pretty available at flea markets, garage/estate sales and other out “in the wild” places I was frequenting. I often bumped into boxes of some of the rarest and in demand books at usually a buck apiece. I amassed quite a collection.

I realized I could sell or trade them for comics I wanted more. A lot of stuff that wasn’t very hot then like now. So, I parted with most for Avons, LB Cole and a guy I didn’t know at the time, Matt Baker. As well as obscure GA WWII publishers, that were just off most people’s radar back then.

Luckily, I hung on to most of my favorites and have slowly picked up a lot of the ones I gave up over the years.

Sadly, the flea market days are pretty much over but I still pick up a few here and there once in a while.

On 3/12/2024 at 12:17 PM, Robot Man said:

The thrill of discovery as well as affordable prices was what drew me to Pulps and PB’s in the first place.

Back in the ‘80’s, local SO CA folks like Redbeard, Dave Smith and John McLaughlin introduced me to PB’s. They were hot in this area and bringing, at the time, pretty good money for a lot of them. They were also pretty available at flea markets, garage/estate sales and other out “in the wild” places I was frequenting. I often bumped into boxes of some of the rarest and in demand books at usually a buck apiece. I amassed quite a collection.

I realized I could sell or trade them for comics I wanted more. A lot of stuff that wasn’t very hot then like now. So, I parted with most for Avons, LB Cole and a guy I didn’t know at the time, Matt Baker. As well as obscure GA WWII publishers, that were just off most people’s radar back then.

Luckily, I hung on to most of my favorites and have slowly picked up a lot of the ones I gave up over the years.

Sadly, the flea market days are pretty much over but I still pick up a few here and there once in a while.

Several of the LCS' around here started as Newstand/Book Stores and did a lot of business with used PB's before they began focusing on comics. You can still find cool stuff around here if you have some time to look. Prices range from $2 to less than $15, and more popular stuff like Frazettas are separated. A mentor of mine in comic sales actually dropped comics and switched to PBs almost 40 years ago, he said the percentages were better. He was getting lots at 50 cents per, mostly adult, because a lot of the 2 FOR 1 PB Stores didn't like displaying them. People were bidding them up from $5 to well over $100 for what he called "ringers". He's moved on to Vinyl now. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu