• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have Paperbacks become the “next big thing”?
1 1

104 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2024 at 6:42 PM, Surfing Alien said:

20230921_184455.thumb.jpg.0b39ed9bd3dea25b274abde6b95c432f.jpg

Just FYI for my fellow board members. I can't afford them, but a bookseller I have bought from several times and can recommend highly has all four of these currently for sale on his website. He does take offers as well, but he might be pretty firm on these. I thought about buying them myself, but financially the timing is bad for me right now. I'd be really happy if one of my fellow board members was able to grab these. The Hobbit looks like it has a few condition issues (I'd probably pass on that one), but the Lord of the Rings trilogy looks pretty nice. Here are the links for anyone interested:

Lord of the Rings trilogy

The Hobbit

On 4/10/2024 at 8:39 PM, Hap Hazard said:

Finally had time to start opening some boxes. Have around 7 long boxes of paperbacks I  picked up in the last 25 years.  Here's some pics of the first two rows of one long box. Plan on doing some organizing in the next few weeks and maybe some sales threads, may copy Robot Man's example of selling paperbacks.

Problem is I have so many!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Unleash the Dogs of War :yeehaw:

On 4/10/2024 at 5:39 PM, Hap Hazard said:

Finally had time to start opening some boxes. Have around 7 long boxes of paperbacks I  picked up in the last 25 years.  Here's some pics of the first two rows of one long box. Plan on doing some organizing in the next few weeks and maybe some sales threads, may copy Robot Man's example of selling paperbacks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Nice! I spy some real cool ones there. I have a sickness for those great Popular Library books with Belarski covers. Few could paint a terrified woman like ‘ole Rudolph.

Now might be a good time to run a sale Steve. I wouldn’t say they are “hot” but gaining a little steam. My current sale has done real well. If priced right, you will move a lot of the ones you decide not to keep. This is one area where a smart collector can put together a nice collection without breaking the bank.

Problem is, they just don’t turn up out “in the wild” likely used to so replacing them is a lot harder now.

Just be willing to put in a little work and you might be suprised…

On 4/10/2024 at 6:39 PM, Hap Hazard said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Maybe I won't be on a 3-day work weekend this time:frustrated:

On 3/16/2024 at 6:03 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Thanks :highfive: I got my set of Army Romances in other places. I NEED an upgrade of No. 3, mine has a sub crease but it's just rare as hell. One of the type things I flew to the LA show to look for. When no copies show up anywhere, for years, you know you gotta get what you can get when you can get it :cry:

LoTR sets are fairly plentiful, but they are very high demand. I consider them a bell-weather set for the hobby, kind of like AF15 for Silver Age comics. Plenty of them out there, but everyone needs a set and the higher the grade the price keeps inching up. The set pictured is my 4th set, always upgrading each individual book. I don't think a higher grade set could exist but I could be wrong, there's virtually no flaws and they are very thick books and were highly read so very difficult to get (and keep) nice. I sold my undercopies to these recently for $650 on the bay. They only lasted a couple of days on there. That's nothing $-wise in comic world but I remember when you could get a real nice set for $100. I probably shouldn't have sold them but I keep telling myself I can't keep everything and will use the money to fill other holes. The Hobbit is the Ballantine file copy. The centering is so tough on that book, my heir will have to sell that one lol

I will have to dig them out of a box but I have the Spring issue of Army Romances and it's companion book Navy Romances.

On 5/22/2024 at 1:20 PM, Hap Hazard said:

Here's a box of Bantam's and Hillman's and some misc.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

b7.jpg

b8.jpg

b9.jpg

b10.jpg

What sort of grades are they in? GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/22/2024 at 10:32 AM, jimjum12 said:

What sort of grades are they in? GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Of course various grades, but most of the Bantam's I purchased from a collection that was mostly unread so in the Fine area.