• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have Paperbacks become the “next big thing”?
1 1

95 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2024 at 7:57 PM, moonpool said:

Paperbacks will never become the next big thing. They are the small thing to be ignored.

They already were the next big thing ...right after pulps. People got tired of continued stories. :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/12/2024 at 9:33 AM, jimjum12 said:

Several of the LCS' around here started as Newstand/Book Stores and did a lot of business with used PB's before they began focusing on comics. You can still find cool stuff around here if you have some time to look. Prices range from $2 to less than $15, and more popular stuff like Frazettas are separated. A mentor of mine in comic sales actually dropped comics and switched to PBs almost 40 years ago, he said the percentages were better. He was getting lots at 50 cents per, mostly adult, because a lot of the 2 FOR 1 PB Stores didn't like displaying them. People were bidding them up from $5 to well over $100 for what he called "ringers". He's moved on to Vinyl now. GOD BLESS ...

Yeah, vintage vinyl is on fire around here. Every estate/garage sale is loaded with vinyl buyers. Loads of sellers and buyers at the flea markets. Tons of young hipsters wearing Zeppelin, Ozzy and Black Flag T-Shirts eagerly paying up for vintage records.

I have pretty much every record I ever bought since my first Beatles record. Over the years, I have digitally recorded most of them and began selling off the originals. Great to pass them on to kids who wern’t even born when they came out. Had a great conversation with a girl in her early ‘20’s wearing a Velvet Underground shirt last weekend. She couldn’t believe that an old white haired geezer like me actually went to see bands like The Dead Kennedys and Black Flag…:roflmao:

On 3/13/2024 at 11:09 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, vintage vinyl is on fire around here. Every estate/garage sale is loaded with vinyl buyers. Loads of sellers and buyers at the flea markets. Tons of young hipsters wearing Zeppelin, Ozzy and Black Flag T-Shirts eagerly paying up for vintage records.

I have pretty much every record I ever bought since my first Beatles record. Over the years, I have digitally recorded most of them and began selling off the originals. Great to pass them on to kids who wern’t even born when they came out. Had a great conversation with a girl in her early ‘20’s wearing a Velvet Underground shirt last weekend. She couldn’t believe that an old white haired geezer like me actually went to see bands like The Dead Kennedys and Black Flag…:roflmao:

Judy still has most of hers, beginning in the mid 60's. Many covers are gone and the remaining aren't pristine. She does have stuff like the Sticky Fingers cover with the actual zipper on the cover and lots of bands I never heard of. I bought strictly what I liked, but she was more bold and adventurous. My concert going was limited, with the Jackson Five being my first. Judy, however saw Every Mother's Son as her first, and actually managed to con her Dad into taking her to see The Doors. Her Mom and Dad were cool, they were in a Jazz band. GOD BLESS ...

On 3/13/2024 at 8:20 AM, jimjum12 said:

Judy still has most of hers, beginning in the mid 60's. Many covers are gone and the remaining aren't pristine. She does have stuff like the Sticky Fingers cover with the actual zipper on the cover and lots of bands I never heard of. I bought strictly what I liked, but she was more bold and adventurous. My concert going was limited, with the Jackson Five being my first. Judy, however saw Every Mother's Son as her first, and actually managed to con her Dad into taking her to see The Doors. Her Mom and Dad were cool, they were in a Jazz band. GOD BLESS ...

My first was The Buffalo Springfield and the Birds. I was underage but snuck into the Whiskey in Hollywood with a friend to see the Doors. We got caught and kicked out.

When I was a junior and senior in high school I worked for Thomas Edison Lights doing light shows for the Rose Palace in Pasadena and the Shrine in LA. Got to see everyone from Zeppelin to Zappa. Was a great time for concerts living in LA.

My mom was quite the hipster in her day and had an extensive collection of blues and jazz records. She took me to a few shows. I, in turn, took my daughter to shows like Sublime and a few others.

I grew up in a wonderful place and time for music.

I’m sure Judy and I would have some good stories to tell.

Glad to see you posting again. Hopefully the worst is behind you.

On 3/13/2024 at 8:29 AM, Bookery said:

Mostly, but that's probably true of any "vintage" collectible.  Paperbacks are a slow market in my area, however, oddly enough, I probably have more young people in their 20s coming in looking for old paperbacks than old comics.  I just got in a want-list a couple of days ago from a young woman in her 20s that includes Ursula Le Guin, PKD, Joanna Russ, Barry Malzberg, Robert Silverberg, etc.  Apparently, there are a number of role-playing games based off old sf authors, and players are seeking the original stories out as source material, reviving interest.  Of course, I can sell any edition from any era of Lovecraft, Howard and Ellison.  And there are still Frazetta-cover fans. The oldest stuff is actually slower-moving... old Avons, Dell mapbacks, early Pocket Books.

The younger folks in my area are mostly looking for wild covers. I sell a lot to the “artsy” crowd. Usually nothing over $20. though. They also buy vinyl and Mid Century Modern (‘50’s) items and furniture/fashion. Big city LA crowd. 

On 3/13/2024 at 10:09 AM, Robot Man said:

I was stunned one day to see my daughter wearing a Metallica T.  I told her I'd never heard hear listening to metal (like her dad, though Metallica was just for muh dudes in Shop class) and got back "I just like the T shirt" :roflmao:

I spent my formative years hanging out in record stores (smoking/chilling in record stores at 13? my how times have changed) and picked up every boomer in the family's record collection as they discarded their record players.  25 years ago as vinyl re-pressings of classic jazz albums caught on, I'd buy one now and then.  Today new pressings can be like 60 bucks!  Surely it's not kids paying that hm  I do still love to pick up some vinyl, though.  I can grab all sorts of cool jazz stuff from the late 60s and 70s I've never heard of for 3 or 4 bucks for a used album.  Now that's a deal I can get behind, a little stack for a 20 dollar bill.  Or at the right record store you can get used mass market 70s rock stuff for the same price.  The record quality is usually mixed with scratches and whatnot, but I still like looking at the big art and listening to a side at a time.  Right now, I'm at the point where I'm selling off some of my high school/college punk/metal/indy stuff just to make room to squeeze in new albums.  I'm going through listening to an album at a time which is fun. Some bands that were faves at the time are atrocious to me now, and the album goes in the sell pile (many worth much more than I would have guessed, small print runs).  Sometimes I rediscover a band I haven't listened to in years which is a joy.

Dunno, digital music has so many things going for it (just the rotating library I'm able to keep on my phone is nuts), but the warm and fuzzy feeling I get from flipping records can't be beat.

Edited by Darwination

On 3/13/2024 at 9:19 AM, Darwination said:

I was stunned one day to see my daughter wearing a Metallica T.  I told her I'd never heard hear listening to metal (like her dad, though Metallica was just for muh dudes in Shop class) and got back "I just like the T shirt" :roflmao:

For better or worse, a lot of bands on shirts are just art to people these days, with no awareness of the band itself, or even that there was a band in some cases.

How do you annoy somebody wearing a KISS shirt?  Ask them to name their favorite KISS song.  When they have trouble, ask them to name ANY Kiss song.

(For reference, my favorite KISS song is "God Gave Rock & Roll To You II", which is a somewhat eclectic choice, but I've loved it ever since I first heard it at the end of "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" in the theater.)

Edited by OtherEric

On 3/13/2024 at 8:43 AM, Robot Man said:

The younger folks in my area are mostly looking for wild covers. I sell a lot to the “artsy” crowd. Usually nothing over $20. though. They also buy vinyl and Mid Century Modern (‘50’s) items and furniture/fashion. Big city LA crowd. 

Cheap tin posters of old classic paperbacks would sell well, as most people want the cover, imo.

On 3/13/2024 at 2:20 PM, shadroch said:

Cheap tin posters of old classic paperbacks would sell well, as most people want the cover, imo.

We call 'em "Fridge Magnet" covers

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325928279967?itmmeta=01HRWM9JFJ0P407FN0PVMTJS2P&hash=item4be2d6df9f:g:GaEAAOSwLYhleuM6&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwFJq3Yqvb8snBpHUM47uISstVrE5tc58f0z0pMIxbJJdPlb%2FIzgShiWZb85lcP7U89CPxRWsjr0PVGuSWY4vqaz%2BsTmeYqbKBXq4Pevncd%2F8q2jUWWnikOC4axbQmIpSmsy%2BKH7HQFc7uKbSDhR7NyffMmZZYLleSWBF3gKDSGNACTKjAzPivh%2FyndKSQ8PKcte%2FSzZqCtBvcK1%2F8nHR%2F9hwDRJ5ncADFfMTUD460sacXw8v7WaxCAffM3LLBOALkA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_KnppTHYw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224997718935?itmmeta=01HRWM9JFJS29H2J01JDYMYCSZ&hash=item3462e8bb97:g:7bIAAOSwpk5iilm7&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8EBJiuV1xt7VtDlRX5qNt5lpBigPEvcmOKEyzu8Vf7yuiayXndumcZT9MVl4j5QqAFn3z8FU5uga%2FV9Wd1omlUVTHYaqwsK%2FtlcK3BhrGUdlzCjASYlQmGO%2F7zNKbKTSePJ2Xgzb4%2F7Ibp%2BVSjGEBIPyfejDG2irOBbmjboY8z%2F2afx49JZ3z8bDT%2FtDswKszn6zghZw2ZLG090QBd2Wg3l0EdOyDrtTwHrOY4sMd%2B68wQ3dzw%2FKBi96bctYTXNTUHn%2FJSaw7BM2I1YUQ7dIjCgyZWL5vg34PKvLP6wvMNbLiwMfgLxonkpgz6ZJjUGYuA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_KnppTHYw

But they're available in Metal signs as well, I've seen a few

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/tv-tramps-vintage-pulp-fiction-paperback-big-88-artworks.html?product=metal-print

Tons of regular posters though

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204412320613?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D259212%26meid%3D911f4e73b65a42489410958718fc52cb%26pid%3D101875%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D364370174563%26itm%3D204412320613%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D4429486%26algv%3DSimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuWithLambda85KnnRecallV1V2V4ItemNrtInQueryAndCassiniVisualRankerAndBertRecallWithVMEV3CPCAutoWithCassiniEmbRecallManual%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p4429486.c101875.m1851&itmprp=cksum%3A204412320613911f4e73b65a42489410958718fc52cb|enc%3AAQAJAAABcLSVkHmTL63bebovD9RfpraPWbY9f4anjbziTIaEIOVXg2DWhVLks3Lfqff9vxxfjIh4XEXusIehlT2iEH8%2BCxXNySMxlDIQJ3g86%2Bx3AAIAq9gznqdGSR72ksP41kjzPN1reUbVsJuld0S4i4qXlQfTmkMeIJTCXTM8mLpr7ju2fMvruDu87ZX%2B4bShOvD%2B4iLPsuBo11OGQSn5b7Y6RRbVlyVtYdbjBpCIzjBsOAUm5wzJYCLVQ%2FcEivYnMx9Ds1%2B7PC12X1aXz%2B4CwzRoU04bumXTD2b9IeyA7uM90tfiAcmT94%2FG6zuZLs%2B02UC4TmdCbRsCgIwRI6qETQCn7uhTa1vKvI%2BFDNyXV5e9%2BVXpqcPce6%2FaUqNjoFt09hRdXxmRK07fxLfr5kPI2JwFP8P8uqXPBmb%2Bn03AgGcsgJuk5AFmZN22AcGZxy8aeyD0Rc%2FtWA1jTtz87Fw12zDqvkgeZsOeTHmkV4LP6Od%2BAgyj|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A4429486&itmmeta=01HRWN0B5EQD1XTFV0WN3XM9GB

On 3/15/2024 at 11:59 AM, Robot Man said:

Maybe I should have used the word “many” for the benefit of you younger folks. :foryou:

In addition to vinyl records and tube amps there are also carburetors. :devil:

IMG_2374.jpeg

Yup, back in the day, the motor heads were often more fun than the freaks :cloud9: I don't think either social strata exists anymore, but it sure did then. GOD BLESS ...

I had a buddy with a Dodge Coronet Super Bee, with the 440 six pack... he could accelerate from a dead stop and part your hair with the G's. He actually won money racing that car on the edge of town.

On 3/12/2024 at 2:29 AM, shadroch said:

What is the audience for these vintage paperbacks?  It seems to me the buyers tend to be older white men. I cant recall the last time I sold a 1950s/60s paperback to anyone under 55.  That doesn't speak well for the future. 

I'm 35 and actively collecting. But I might be the exception proving the rule.