• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have Paperbacks become the “next big thing”?
1 1

95 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2024 at 5:15 PM, The-Collector said:

I'm 35 and actively collecting. But I might be the exception proving the rule. 

There are no rules, only varying degrees of the unknown, and a very brief amount of time in each moment. Happy hunting, Brother. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/14/2024 at 2:29 AM, Bookery said:

Mostly, but that's probably true of any "vintage" collectible.  Paperbacks are a slow market in my area, however, oddly enough, I probably have more young people in their 20s coming in looking for old paperbacks than old comics.  I just got in a want-list a couple of days ago from a young woman in her 20s that includes Ursula Le Guin, PKD, Joanna Russ, Barry Malzberg, Robert Silverberg, etc.  Apparently, there are a number of role-playing games based off old sf authors, and players are seeking the original stories out as source material, reviving interest.  Of course, I can sell any edition from any era of Lovecraft, Howard and Ellison.  And there are still Frazetta-cover fans. The oldest stuff is actually slower-moving... old Avons, Dell mapbacks, early Pocket Books.

I think the sci fi connection is important. I originally got into PBs because of my love of sci fi. There are multiple Instagram accounts devoted to sci fi and paperback art with 100k or more followers. And their followers are avid and active. 

Edited by The-Collector

On 3/15/2024 at 5:33 PM, The-Collector said:

I think the sci fi connection is important. I originally got into PBs because of my love of sci fi. There are multiple Instagram accounts devoted to sci fi and paperback art with 100k or more followers. And their follower are avid and active. 

I think the small cadre nature of these little board threads blinds some folks to who is out there buying. Having been going after high level books for several years now, there's a lot more competition for nice books everywhere I look in the last couple of years. Very few bargains slip through the cracks unnoticed and I think it has to be the thousands of people on FB and Instagram groups that have crowded the doorways.

On 3/15/2024 at 8:40 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I think the small cadre nature of these little board threads blinds some folks to who is out there buying. Having been going after high level books for several years now, there's a lot more competition for nice books everywhere I look in the last couple of years. Very few bargains slip through the cracks unnoticed and I think it has to be the thousands of people on FB and Instagram groups that have crowded the doorways.

One thing to be aware of, before one decides to "bet the farm", on paperbacks, is that saving paperbacks was MUCH more common during the "golden age" of paperbacks, which is usually assigned to '40's through '60's. Comics were usually tossed by Moms everywhere, as they were "kiddie stuff", and PB's were a welcome change. While some PB's will invariably enjoy a surge in demand, it will likely be less meteoric than comics. Because of the aforementioned, it is even more important to perform your due diligence and to focus on what you like, so you aren't caught holding the bag, with stuff that was merely flip fodder. 2c Despite the cautions, book collecting can be a fun and profitable hobby, as it has for centuries. GOD BLESS ...

Edited by jimjum12

On 3/16/2024 at 10:58 AM, jimjum12 said:

One thing to be aware of, before one decides to "bet the farm", on paperbacks, is that saving paperbacks was MUCH more common during the "golden age" of paperbacks, which is usually assigned to '40's through '60's. Comics were usually tossed by Moms everywhere, as they were "kiddie stuff", and PB's were a welcome change. While some PB's will invariably enjoy a surge in demand, it will likely be less meteoric than comics. Because of the aforementioned, it is even more important to perform your due diligence and to focus on what you like, so you aren't caught holding the bag, with stuff that was merely flip fodder. 2c Despite the cautions, book collecting can be a fun and profitable hobby, as it has for centuries. GOD BLESS ...

I think the pressure is going to really be for high-grades.  It's almost impossible to read one of these older paperbacks, even in their day, without leaving some wear.  That means truly VF paperbacks have to have never been read.  And even if they were never read... some publishers like early Dell (lamination that peels off on its own) or Hillman (poorly made) can be excruciatingly hard to find in top condition.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:13 AM, Bookery said:

I think the pressure is going to really be for high-grades.  It's almost impossible to read one of these older paperbacks, even in their day, without leaving some wear.  That means truly VF paperbacks have to have never been read.  And even if they were never read... some publishers like early Dell (lamination that peels off on its own) or Hillman (poorly made) can be excruciatingly hard to find in top condition.

Avons too. This one here was an epiphany, a learning opportunity, as regards high grade. It truly is almost immaculate with total gloss. I suspect that a Metal Master, Ship to Ishtar, or an Earthman On Venus, in this grade, would fetch what they used to call "stupid money". I am especially enamored with the Avon circular logos. GOD BLESS ...

7n614Sl.jpg

On 3/15/2024 at 4:44 PM, The-Collector said:

Also what’s not to love? Great covers, awesome stories, culturally important, and for the time being reasonably affordable. 

IMG_3311.jpeg

IMG_2327.jpeg

IMG_2208.jpeg

IMG_2128.jpeg

Reasonably affordable probably doesn't apply to this batch, though, eh? :D

Junkie is William Burroughs' first novel - what's the flipside?  (What a nice copy!)  I grew up in Lawrence, KS, and met Burroughs once as a kid (he offered a group of us Lemonade -).  Of course the townie stories and lore meanders into surreal territory :yeehaw:

That Fraternity of Shame cover is wild. Anybody know the artist?

On 3/16/2024 at 8:59 AM, Darwination said:

Junkie is William Burroughs' first novel - what's the flipside?  (What a nice copy!)  I grew up in Lawrence, KS, and met Burroughs once as a kid (he offered a group of us Lemonade -).  Of course the townie stories and lore meanders into surreal territory :yeehaw:

You are correct, the Junkie is not generally "Reasonably Affordable".  I got my beat up copy for $100 a few years ago and consider myself incredibly lucky to have found it that cheaply.

I sometimes like to say it's not actually the rarest or most valuable paperback, but it's the paperback most famous for being rare and valuable.  It's generally a grail book for people.

Ace D 015a.jpg

Ace D 015b.jpg

On 3/16/2024 at 7:58 AM, jimjum12 said:

About the only thing that was saved more than PBs, are Playboys. They are still everywhere all the way back to the late ‘50’s. Every guy had a stash and they were never thrown away.

I used to visit my grandparents house in the summer when I was young. I slept in my grandpa’s study. He was a voracious reader of mystery and detective PBs. He had hundreds of them. I used to check them out when he wasn’t there. Those hot girly covers really got my interest even though I really didn’t know why. :devil: Have always wondered what happened to them. I would kill to have them now. To this day, everytime I hear the name Perry Mason, I think fondly of him. :x

Cool guy. He raced motorcycles in the teens, drove a ‘62 Lincoln Contental and smoked fat cigars. He also bought me all the comics I wanted off the racks in the cigar store. 

On 3/17/2024 at 2:59 AM, Darwination said:

Reasonably affordable probably doesn't apply to this batch, though, eh? :D

That Fraternity of Shame cover is wild. Anybody know the artist?

I believe the cover is Bonfils. You are right they aren't cheap items, but relative to PCH they are a bargain. 

On 3/17/2024 at 10:42 AM, Surfing Alien said:

:whatthe: I wouldn't advise anyone to "bet the farm" on any collectible, you might wind up the proud owner of crates full of Beanie Babies and no food :sorry:

As James mentioned, I don't see any chance of a meteoric rise in prices for pbs, but there has been a steady uptick since I started buying again 7 years ago, moreso recently. As with most things, it's the higher grades and better books for the most part.

I don't agree that pbs were saved more than comics were though. They were passed around and were throwaways when printed as well and, unlike comics, never had word out in the non-collector world whereas comics have been hoarded by condition conscious  collectors at least since the 1960's and by the 1980's, as my friend RD says, (paraphrasing here) every grandma in an antique stall in Podunk had her VG copy of Dippity Duck #392 in a Mylar and priced at $55.

Whereas old paperbacks were just that. Junk, thrown in a corner of the stall where the brittle spine glue dried up further until it cracks when you open the cover and the pages flutter unfettered about the stall :facepalm:

Not saying there haven't been plenty of die hard collectors all along. Just nowhere near the preservation base due to lack of value and knowledge. 

I've only ever bought pbs with side money, steadily though, and over the years you can put together some nice runs of things.

20230822_200132.thumb.jpg.a26377ad82c4c7ac4c1a74a66c41611e.jpg

20230801_122416.thumb.jpg.11bbd15f146b3e18278f2a41a64b3dbe.jpg

20230921_184455.thumb.jpg.0b39ed9bd3dea25b274abde6b95c432f.jpg

20231106_162839.thumb.jpg.c8860aba39ef662a3891d48542a153aa.jpg

20230630_173744.thumb.jpg.19177a5799d790eb943315c3372453d2.jpg

20230122_075532.thumb.jpg.b8d11f8735cee67ac10a2a5326cf070f.jpg

20220913_130018.thumb.jpg.0aceff68abb2e3c4475d59c150dc5255.jpg

Awesome collection. I NEED that LoTR set. And If you got that Army Romances spring edition from CC I think you were bidding against me. 

On 3/16/2024 at 7:42 PM, Surfing Alien said:

:whatthe: I wouldn't advise anyone to "bet the farm" on any collectible, you might wind up the proud owner of crates full of Beanie Babies and no food :sorry:

As James mentioned, I don't see any chance of a meteoric rise in prices for pbs, but there has been a steady uptick since I started buying again 7 years ago, moreso recently. As with most things, it's the higher grades and better books for the most part.

I don't agree that pbs were saved more than comics were though. They were passed around and were throwaways when printed as well and, unlike comics, never had word out in the non-collector world whereas comics have been hoarded by condition conscious  collectors at least since the 1960's and by the 1980's, as my friend RD says, (paraphrasing here) every grandma in an antique stall in Podunk had her VG copy of Dippity Duck #392 in a Mylar and priced at $55.

Whereas old paperbacks were just that. Junk, thrown in a corner of the stall where the brittle spine glue dried up further until it cracks when you open the cover and the pages flutter unfettered about the stall :facepalm:

Not saying there haven't been plenty of die hard collectors all along. Just nowhere near the preservation base due to lack of value and knowledge. 

I've only ever bought pbs with side money, steadily though, and over the years you can put together some nice runs of things.

What a collection to be proud of :cloud9: and you're still not finished ...

I think you may have misunderstood me re:survival rates. as I'm certainly not saying what you have there is common. What I meant was that I have seen many yard sales and estate auctions and they almost always have paperbacks and other books, while comics are typically non existent. Used paperbacks were plentiful enough that an entire industry based on buy/sell/trade emerged in almost all decent size cities. People will often re-read a book so they are perceived as having value beyond a one time use. Comics were typically tossed when they began to accumulate in children's rooms, and that was the target audience through much of their heyday, the period when the valuable stuff was coming out. My point was mostly that PB's targeted adults who often keep and care for things, while vintage comics(before 1969) are less represented. Judy still has tons of her paperbacks from her whole life, mostly well read, and she even introduced me to some of my favorite authors with those very same well loved copies. My point was to not dive in like comics, as the paperback pool is much deeper and diverse. Ian put together a complete DC collection. I doubt seriously that anyone will ever have every PB ever, I'm not sure an accurate list of them all is even possible. I love books, always have, I just want the hobby to be healthy and astute without the burnout that comes with something that got too hot too fast. Again, thanks for everything you contribute. I'd be lost without it, swimming way over my head. GOD BLESS ...

Edited by jimjum12

On 3/16/2024 at 7:42 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Lowell! I ain’t got the words. 

On 3/16/2024 at 7:58 PM, The-Collector said:

Awesome collection. I NEED that LoTR set. And If you got that Army Romances spring edition from CC I think you were bidding against me. 

Thanks :highfive: I got my set of Army Romances in other places. I NEED an upgrade of No. 3, mine has a sub crease but it's just rare as hell. One of the type things I flew to the LA show to look for. When no copies show up anywhere, for years, you know you gotta get what you can get when you can get it :cry:

LoTR sets are fairly plentiful, but they are very high demand. I consider them a bell-weather set for the hobby, kind of like AF15 for Silver Age comics. Plenty of them out there, but everyone needs a set and the higher the grade the price keeps inching up. The set pictured is my 4th set, always upgrading each individual book. I don't think a higher grade set could exist but I could be wrong, there's virtually no flaws and they are very thick books and were highly read so very difficult to get (and keep) nice. I sold my undercopies to these recently for $650 on the bay. They only lasted a couple of days on there. That's nothing $-wise in comic world but I remember when you could get a real nice set for $100. I probably shouldn't have sold them but I keep telling myself I can't keep everything and will use the money to fill other holes. The Hobbit is the Ballantine file copy. The centering is so tough on that book, my heir will have to sell that one lol

On 3/16/2024 at 9:03 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Thanks :highfive: I got my set of Army Romances in other places. I NEED an upgrade of No. 3, mine has a sub crease but it's just rare as hell. One of the type things I flew to the LA show to look for. When no copies show up anywhere, for years, you know you gotta get what you can get when you can get it :cry:

LoTR sets are fairly plentiful, but they are very high demand. I consider them a bell-weather set for the hobby, kind of like AF15 for Silver Age comics. Plenty of them out there, but everyone needs a set and the higher the grade the price keeps inching up. The set pictured is my 4th set, always upgrading each individual book. I don't think a higher grade set could exist but I could be wrong, there's virtually no flaws and they are very thick books and were highly read so very difficult to get (and keep) nice. I sold my undercopies to these recently for $650 on the bay. They only lasted a couple of days on there. That's nothing $-wise in comic world but I remember when you could get a real nice set for $100. I probably shouldn't have sold them but I keep telling myself I can't keep everything and will use the money to fill other holes. The Hobbit is the Ballantine file copy. The centering is so tough on that book, my heir will have to sell that one lol

Those Tolkiens. Drool. 

On 3/16/2024 at 9:03 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I've got this one and am looking for the other two in similar shape, to no avail. They're out there, just not the pretty ones. To use your AF 15 analogy, why sell for $150 when the coolness of it far exceeds that? My problem is, disposable income is at an all-time low for me, but I do have more time to look ... recipe for frustration :bigsmile: I'm tempted to get decent ones and upgrade, but sure enough, the right copy will pop up as soon as I'm tapped out. I know, first world problem. GOD BLESS ...

... it's real pretty, but gloss isn't total, but not bad. 

FqQLE1w.jpg