• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Insider: Publisher Defects Putting Modern books under the microscope.
3 3

29 posts in this topic

This is great - really nice visibility into some of the inside processes.

I'm no CGC grader, but at 10:53, and 10:57, he's supposedly showing us a perfect, gem 10.0, but unless I'm missing something, there's a fold on the right hand side of the cover:

image.thumb.png.74defc08ba42a0755eb6aa0ae39aac55.png

and a pretty deep indentation on the back? The indentation might be just some weird color line, but I haven't been able to find an image to compare it to.

image.thumb.png.5996f2da7a53a02f1c433a0c4f3f14c9.png

If I saw a book with that right cover defect, I wouldn't bother to submit it for a 9.8 prescreen, much less expect it to get a 10.

-----

Update: Ok I was missing something! Both of those issues are actually part of the cover art - here is the actual listing:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4388059005/

the 9.9 also has the weird color line on the back so I guess that's just part of the cover (however it has a pretty big white blotch on the front cover by the blue rangers head, maybe that's just the scan?)

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4388059016/

Edited by dbcn

On 3/11/2024 at 11:39 AM, SpineTic said:

It was probably graded a 10 and then encapsulation got there hands on it. I'm guessing alot of these defects happen after grading and during encapsulation?

While we would like to think that is the case,  here it is not. @ the 9:22 mark you can see the book (where just before he exclaimed, " I think we got one" ) he shows the 10.0 sitting raw. You can see in this video that finger bend.

Screenshot_20240311_114142_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d9daf33e6a48b9f73f9a71cf6dd46ca6.jpg

On 3/11/2024 at 11:57 AM, dbcn said:

This is great - really nice visibility into some of the inside processes.

I'm no CGC grader, but at 10:53, and 10:57, he's supposedly showing us a perfect, gem 10.0, but unless I'm missing something, there's a fold on the right hand side of the cover:

and a pretty deep indentation on the back? The indentation might be just some weird color line, but I haven't been able to find an image to compare it to.

image.thumb.png.5996f2da7a53a02f1c433a0c4f3f14c9.png

If I saw a book with that right cover defect, I wouldn't bother to submit it for a 9.8 prescreen, much less expect it to get a 10.

-----

Update: Ok I was missing something! Both of those issues are actually part of the cover art - here is the actual listing:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4388059005/

the 9.9 also has the weird color line on the back so I guess that's just part of the cover (however it has a pretty big white blotch on the front cover by the blue rangers head, maybe that's just the scan?)

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4388059016/

Don't know about the front cover, but here it looks like an arm or a leg, note how the smaller diamond pattern follows the line you've indicated.

Just looked at it again; and I believe my comment was incorrect after checking the Cert#s 4388059001 through 4388059010+ are all the 10.0 and 9.9s. They all look exactly the same with faint planet outline on the right hand side.

On 3/12/2024 at 9:31 AM, dbcn said:

What! that's no bueno. We need more visibility to the processes, not less!

I thought that video was really well done tbh. 

Videos back up.

I'm even more confused now after watching the video.  There still appear to be obvious color breaks, blunted corners, and/or bindery tears on the 9.9s and 10s.  Of course, the video is magnified quite a bit on those closeups, but even so, they just don't look to me as though they should be 9.9s or 10s.  The 9.8 he highlights at the end shows a really ugly, blunted corner.  I know certain defects are allowed at that level, so I'm probably just glamorizing the 9.8 grade too much.

I don't know, though.  Maybe I'm crazy in thinking that a 9.9 or 10 should, you know, at least appear to be perfect to the human eye.  (shrug)

He seemed to indicate at the end that they were going directly from his prescreen to encapsulation, but maybe I misinterpreted that.  So no interior checks for loose centerfolds or printing errors or a second set of eyes on them at all?

I was also expecting him to be wearing gloves if he's prescreening for cream-of-the-crop 9.9s and 10s, and I really did not expect to see the books handled so roughly in their stacking and sorting, especially when he straightened the one stack by standing them upright and pounding/ruffling them on the table after checking them for blunted corners.  doh!

This video was informative to me, but probably not in the way CGC hoped it would be...  Am I being too critical here?

On 3/12/2024 at 4:22 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Cool, thanks for the clarification on that.  I know I'm too clumsy to wear gloves while handling comics (which that post indicates is pretty common), and I seem to be a freakin' greaseball, so I usually wash my hands after reading only a couple comics at a time.  :shiftyeyes: