• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sports Cards you need to make your life complete!

3 posts in this topic

So which sports cards do you need to make your life complete? Now here I don't want remarks about chancing upon a super valuable T206 Honus Wagner card in a garage sale which you'd then quickly flip for the money. I'm talking about the sports cards that top your personal Want List. In other words the sports cards for which you'd most like to provide a forever home in your collection.

Here are mine in chronological order (and of course none of the cards I've pictured are my own):

1954 Blue Ribbon Jackie Parker

Jackie_Parker.jpg

A classic tall-boy card set with Jackie Parker already a legend by the time I started first grade in 1958.

1954 Blue Ribbon Sam Etcheverry

Sam_Etcheverry.jpg

A great pose and another name spoken with reverence in the schoolyard in 1958-59.

1958 Topps Roger Maris

40-27060RepFr.jpg 40-27060RepBk.jpg

Not just his rookie card but with the Cleveland Indians! I covet his 1959 card where he's with the Kansas City Athletics almost as much.

1958-59 Topps Bobby Hull

Bobby_Hull.jpg  4807-1169591RepBk.jpg

This set is probably my favourite hockey card set of them all due to the classic design plus the fact that it was my introduction to sports cards. The Bobby Hull is not only his rookie card but is also the last card in the set which has made it even more difficult to find in grade. I bought a VG one back in 1980 in an antique junk shop but traded it off about 25 years ago because it wasn't up to my quality standards when it came to condition. I'm looking for one now that's sharp and white but that's way off center to keep the price down to semi-reasonable levels.

1961-62 York Tim Horton

s-l1600_osij2nA5ywEtWbxntzJ3X2.jpg

The only card I still need to complete this legendary food set.

1962 Canadian Post Cereal Baseball Panel with Hank Aaron

(edited)_Post_panel_1.png

I ate box after box of Sugar Crisp back in 1962 to get these panels. I currently have three other such panels in my collection. I had this panel up until a year ago but traded it off to another Post collector for a Sugar Crisp panel featuring Ernie Banks that was in better condition plus a wad of cash. As a result this Hank Aaron panel now tops my Want List.

1963 Humpty Dumpty CFL Bobby Walden (Bilingual)

63N_20119_20Bobby_20Walden.jpg

I bought Humpty Dumpty and Krun-Chee Potato Chips to get these coins as a kid. I need the bilingual back variant of this coin which in my experience has been the single toughest coin to find from this set.

1964-65 Topps Pit Martin

Pit_Martin.jpg Pit_Martin_1.jpg

The #1 card in this tough set. I had one that was marginally miscut top-to-bottom for a time but I traded it off in the expectation that I'd soon find a better one. Well that "soon" proved to be a much too optimistic expectation.

1964-65 Topps 2nd Series Checklist

Checklist.jpg

I'm big on checklists and this one's a short print.

Plus any of the 1957-58 to 1962-63 plus 1964-65 Topps Hockey Wrappers! Here's a 1959-60 one tracked down by Bobby Burrell:

59+topps+hockey+wrapper.jpg

:)

Edited by Hepcat

Yes! Satchell Paige with the legendary St. Louis Browns is certainly a good one! 

(thumbsu

I don't much like the appearance of either the 1952 or the 1953 Topps Baseball cards though. But the 1954 Topps are among my very favourites!

:wink: