• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM HULK #2
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Just got this one back from one of the top restoration/presssing guys...I initially sent it to him to have the tape on the inside front cover removed (not even sure why it's there)...He said he could remove it, but determined because of the type of ink used on these early SA Marvel's, the ink would lift when the tape was removed. So I decided to just have him clean and press it. He definitely improved the book, but there is still a bit of a bubble on the front right side because of the tape. There is still a bit of creasing in the bottom right back cover. I did a small bit of cleaning on it myself after it was returned but much of the dirt or marks are just embedded in that old paper fiber. Overall it's a very nice book...just that bit of chipping along the right edge and that damn tape. There are also tears around the staples, mainly when you look at it opened. My initial thought was 4.0, but he insured it as if it were a 6.5. I don't think it's that's high, but maybe 5.0/5.5? Any thoughts welcome. Thanks! 

hulk 2-01.jpg

hulk 2-02a.jpg

hulk 2-2b.jpg

hulk 2-03.jpg

hulk 2-04.jpg

hulk 2-05.jpg

hulk 2-06.jpg

hulk 2-07.jpg

hulk 2-08.jpg

hulk 2-09.jpg

hulk 2-10.jpg

hulk 2-11.jpg

hulk 2-12.jpg

hulk 2-13.jpg

hulk 2-14.jpg

hulk 2-15.jpg

hulk 2-16.jpg

hulk 2-17.jpg

hulk 2-18.jpg

hulk 2-19.jpg

hulk 2-20a.jpg

hulk 2-20b.jpg

hulk 2-21.jpg

hulk 2-22.jpg

It appears the tape was used to prevent the chipping from getting worse.

Tape on inside cover, minor chipping along the outer edge, slight chipping along the bottom edge, slight to minor chipping along lower edge, book does not sit flat, color breaking crease at the lower left corner, color breaking scratch on outer edge towards bottom, minor spine wear with a few color breaking spine ticks, lower staple off center, cover loose/detached at one staple?, detached completely? (see pic #8), Tanning/Discoloration along top edge of rear cover.

IMO...

If the cover is only loose, VG+ 4.5 to VG/FN 5.0

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN):  Back to Top
An above-average but well used comic book. An accumulation of bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor to moderate cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases and/or dimples. Inks have moderate to low reflectivity. Blunted corners are increasingly common, as is minor to moderate staining, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor to moderate spine roll is allowed. A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and minor stress lines may also be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown with no signs of brittleness. Centerfold may be loose. Minor interior tears may also be present.

If the cover is loose/detached at one staple, VG 4.0

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

If the cover is completely detached, GD/VG 3.0

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG):  Back to Top
A used comic book showing some substantial wear. Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. Cover reflectivity is very low. Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples. Corners may be blunted or even rounded. Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. Tape and other amateur repair may be present. Moderate spine roll likely. May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Staples may be rusted or replaced. Minor to moderate staple tears and moderate stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present.

On 3/11/2024 at 1:34 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Tape on inside cover, minor chipping along the outer edge, slight chipping along the bottom edge, slight to minor chipping along lower edge, book does not sit flat, color breaking crease at the lower left corner, color breaking scratch on outer edge towards bottom, minor spine wear with a few color breaking spine ticks, lower staple off center, cover loose/detached at one staple?, detached completely? (see pic #8), Tanning/Discoloration along top edge of rear cover.

IMO...

If the cover is only loose, VG+ 4.5 to VG/FN 5.0

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN):  Back to Top
An above-average but well used comic book. An accumulation of bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor to moderate cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases and/or dimples. Inks have moderate to low reflectivity. Blunted corners are increasingly common, as is minor to moderate staining, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor to moderate spine roll is allowed. A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and minor stress lines may also be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown with no signs of brittleness. Centerfold may be loose. Minor interior tears may also be present.

If the cover is loose/detached at one staple, VG 4.0

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

If the cover is completely detached, GD/VG 3.0

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG):  Back to Top
A used comic book showing some substantial wear. Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. Cover reflectivity is very low. Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples. Corners may be blunted or even rounded. Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. Tape and other amateur repair may be present. Moderate spine roll likely. May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Staples may be rusted or replaced. Minor to moderate staple tears and moderate stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present.

Thank you as always for your detailed and informed analysis. Cover is actually well attached, it just has tears around the staples, only really noticeable when the front cover is opened. Not loose at the staples, either.

On 3/11/2024 at 11:34 AM, marvelmaniac said:

(thumbsu

I'd say it'll top out at 4.0 and it may be one grade lower. That much tape won't grade much higher even if the rest of the book is in great shape.

Restored though. Correct me if I'm wrong but there appears to be slight color touch near the top of the front cover where the tear is.

1st Green Hulk! Great book.

20220828_225014.thumb.jpg.a652b36ce82c2a769507f36a587acb20.jpg

Spoiler

Splash page from my copy.

Thanks for posting.

On 3/11/2024 at 2:16 PM, grendelbo said:

(thumbsu

I'd say it'll top out at 4.0 and it may be one grade lower. That much tape won't grade much higher even if the rest of the book is in great shape.

Restored though. Correct me if I'm wrong but there appears to be slight color touch near the top of the front cover where the tear is.

1st Green Hulk! Great book.

20220828_225014.thumb.jpg.a652b36ce82c2a769507f36a587acb20.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Splash page from my copy.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for your feedback. Now that I look at it closer there is something weird going on in that area. There are two black dots on the inside behind the comics code logo. The guy I sent it to is know as one of the premier resto guys...I think he'd have caught that..so weird. I'm not sure what it is. Here are some pics including one with a blacklight. 

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

On 3/11/2024 at 1:09 PM, Kamenliter said:

Thanks for your feedback. Now that I look at it closer there is something weird going on in that area. There are two black dots on the inside behind the comics code logo. The guy I sent it to is know as one of the premier resto guys...I think he'd have caught that..so weird. I'm not sure what it is. Here are some pics including one with a blacklight. 

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

hm

Maybe not. Doesn't seem intentional nor on the front cover. My copy lacks these though.

3.5 to me. But the two black dots just look like stray ink since they don't correspond with anything on the front cover.

I really like Hulks wild, fierce look that the Kirby/Ditko artwork gives him.

Edited by LowGradeBronze