• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christopher Nolan's next project rumors - THE PRISONER (TBD)

17 posts in this topic

Now all eyes are on what Nolan — who wrote, directed and produced “Oppenheimer” — will do next. Some say it will be a remake of the mystery-thriller “The Prisoner,” based on the 1960s TV series created by and starring Patrick McGoohan, which Nolan was attached to in 2009. But the sci-fi project vanished from Nolan’s dance card that same year, when AMC released its own “The Prisoners,” a six-part miniseries led by Jim Caviezel as the ill-fated agent Number Six alongside Ian McKellen and Ruth Wilson. Others say he will begin writing a new screenplay now that the awards season is behind him.

Warner Bros. and Universal are the two studios most likely to prevail in the race for Nolan’s services, but it would be hard for the filmmaker to walk away from the latter considering that Universal helped him pull off what Warner Bros. never could. (Nolan made several movies with Warners including the critically acclaimed “Dark Knight” trilogy.)

On 3/12/2024 at 12:14 PM, media_junkie said:

You are just hoping you can "flip" them for a tidy profit!

Actually you could probably do that now as the A&E DVD/Blu-ray sets and the Network Blu-ray sets are OOP.

While I'm looking forward to seeing what Nolan will do with this, I'm hoping at the very least there will be a new issue of the series on Blu-ray for those interested who missed the previous releases.

What I would really like - and this is me dreaming here - is that the series would get remastered and released in 4K.  The consensus seems to be that classic TV shows won't get released in 4K as it's 'too expensive' to scan all the episodes of a given series in 4K.  Given that this series is less than 2 dozen episodes, I'm hoping that this might prove to be the exception.  And since it's a pretty cult show, if it sells well maybe it might be the impetus for other shows like Star Trek TOS to finally get a 4K release.

When asked, I'll say The Prisoner was the best TV series ever made.  Not necessarily my favorite, although it's pretty high up there, but the best.

Nolan is on the short list of creators I would trust to try to do something with the property.  Not sure if they would succeed, but I'll be interested to see them try.

Well, that didn't take long.

Australian label IMPRINT just announced they're releasing the series on Blu-ray on June 5th.

In terms of new supplemental material looks like there's a booklet and 3 new cast interviews.  But the set also includes 5 episodes of Danger Man which is a nice bonus.

IMPRINT is numbering their TV series releases and this just happens to be number 6 in the series.  Pretty cool.

Edit to add:

While the new interviews are new-new, it looks like there are some things that are included on this release that weren't on the previous A&E/Network releases.  The In My Mind documentary is included, I was actually looking at buying that as a stand-alone release but held off because of the price.  Glad I did.  I already have the A&E Blu-ray set but I may actually get this even though it won't actually be a pq upgrade since this release is still from a 2K scan.

Really hope this does well and IMPRINT releases all of Danger Man, I'd buy that day one.

Edited by Number 6

On 3/15/2024 at 5:49 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

The Prisoner TV series Complete is free on the TUBI app if anyone wants to revisit the series. I have been watching 1 episode a week. Brilliant series!

When you all done watching let us know your favorite episode👍‼️ I think there was only 20 episodes?

On 3/18/2024 at 7:01 PM, FoggyNelson said:

When you all done watching let us know your favorite episode👍‼️ I think there was only 20 episodes?

So far I haven`t finished the series, but I put it up there with Twilight Zone and Star Trek The Original Series as the top 3 best TV show of the 1960s. As soon as I finish the series I will let you know.