• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Alex Ross ever achieve Kirby status?
4 4

71 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2024 at 8:01 PM, shadroch said:

Not dynamic?

1710360029127187576232503170800.thumb.jpg.b76d965996184caf76e3f13e19475290.jpg17103599550085119004944581124078.thumb.jpg.71238a5e1ec7be79d8a120a34f21d3d0.jpg

Nope. It’s very nice, but, for me, nowhere near the same level of energy or magnetism.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/13/2024 at 1:02 PM, F For Fake said:

I don't care for Alex Ross .His art has no dynamism, it just looks like a bunch of cosplayers standing around. There's no energy, there's not momentum.

Kirby was all energy, all momentum. He was a master of creating motion on a static page. He also created nearly everything worth a damn in superhero comics over the course of a couple of decades. Man was a legitimate artistic genius. Alex Ross paints pretty pictures. There's no comparison.

Pretty much. Ross does pinups. He's technically very good at what he does but it's boring. It's static. Kirby, love him or leave him, was neither of those things. 

If you're talking about simply drawing, I would think Ross' art is definitely more pleasing to the eye but for world building, nobody trumps Kirby. He was the king of invention. I honestly don't think anyone even coming close. I don't know enough but if we wanted to pick a few names it would have to come from Kirby's era, maybe Eisner ? For more modern day ones, Perez ? But there is simply no comparison. 

On 3/13/2024 at 9:16 PM, jimjum12 said:

heck, I'm even having a Rochester garbage plate for dinner tonight

Sounds tasty.

Never seen those over here in the U.K.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/13/2024 at 6:29 PM, jimjum12 said:

@Readcomix:bigsmile:

GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Oh, I caught that! Funny thing is I’m nowhere near that part of NY (Rochester, western NY) but the name, the concept and the mythology around it led me to borrow the name for a certain style of catch-all sales thread of cheap, fun books. Every once in a while I dust it off when I think the books I’m ready to let go of fit the description.

On 3/13/2024 at 6:37 PM, Readcomix said:

Oh, I caught that! Funny thing is I’m nowhere near that part of NY (Rochester, western NY) but the name, the concept and the mythology around it led me to borrow the name for a certain style of catch-all sales thread of cheap, fun books. Every once in a while I dust it off when I think the books I’m ready to let go of fit the description.

I think you also had a photo of the elusive Rochester Garbage Plate? GOD BLESS ...

On 3/13/2024 at 5:16 PM, jimjum12 said:

Only person who ever came close, to me, was Byrne. And Byrne was a protege' of Kirby, in a vicarious kind of way. Byrne was the only creator who had me anxious from month to month, maybe Simonson. Moore, Bisette, and Totleben were brilliant but not prolific enough .... but I did save Swamp Thing for last, whenever it came out.  GOD BLESS ... 

,,, just my opinion, I'm no scholar, just a regular guy, heck, I'm even having a Rochester garbage plate for dinner tonight. 

If a Rochester garbage plate is anything like a Pittsburgh Platter, count me out.

This is an apples to oranges comparison. Alex Ross is a fine fine artist worthy of respect for his great drawings. Jack Kirby on the other hand has co created more iconic comic book characters than anybody else times twenty. There have been many great artists in the comics field but truly only one Jack Kirby.

On 3/13/2024 at 7:29 PM, shadroch said:

Like many things, they look much better at 3 AM.

That is exactly the subtle distinction/subtext that defines the kinds of items one must amass to offer in a sales thread labeled “Rochester Garbage Plate!” You nailed it!