• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to get better at grading
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I agree it does look better than a 4.0.

However, the seller's pics aren't the greatest and don't allow for a lot of detail to be seen.

There is a lot of wear on the corners as the graders notes say. The creasing looks to be at the bottom right corner.

The staining probably was the determining factor knocking the book down to the VG range. It'll probably only be a 4.5 on its best day.

Screenshot_20240315_112816_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240315_112821_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240315_112750_Chrome.jpg

On 3/15/2024 at 11:05 AM, The Lions Den said:

It presents well in the holder, but I've found very few CGC graded books that were actually graded too harshly...

castle.gif.195bd90bab399dd2c2cc9e761b7aa83d.gif

On 3/15/2024 at 2:05 PM, The Lions Den said:

It presents well in the holder, but I've found very few CGC graded books that were actually graded too harshly...

These are some of my favorite books to buy.   Lower grade books with great presentations.  

@Ron Funk I got much better at grading by using the "Spare a Grade" forum here.  Basically people posts books and a bunch of board members tell you their opinon of the grade. 

I participated pretty actively for a year or so and learned a lot. And I'm still not an expert. I often reach out to people here for advice and thoughts. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 3/16/2024 at 7:09 AM, KCOComics said:

I participated pretty actively for four years or so and learned a lot. And I'm still not an expert. I often reach out to people here for advice and thoughts. 

Your comment is right on the money---I changed it to my personal experience to show that it doesn't matter how long you've been doing it, there are always times when you need some friendly advice.

And as good as they are, at some point every grader at CGC has asked another grader for their opinion...

On 3/16/2024 at 4:36 PM, The Lions Den said:

Your comment is right on the money---I changed it to my personal experience to show that it doesn't matter how long you've been doing it, there are always times when you need some friendly advice.

And as good as they are, at some point every grader at CGC has asked another grader for their opinion...

And you are one of those people I often consult! 

Every time we discuss a book, I learn something new and I greatly appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge! 

On 3/16/2024 at 10:33 PM, KCOComics said:

And you are one of those people I often consult! 

Every time we discuss a book, I learn something new and I greatly appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge! 

You're very welcome...