• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosmic Annihilation

29 posts in this topic

From the Newsarama website:

MARVEL ANNOUNCES COSMIC "ANNIHILATION"

Press Release

Marvel Comics has stars in its eyes as it announces the impending approach of ANNIHILATION, a major new comics event. ANNIHILATION, beginning in March ’06, encompasses a prologue one-shot, four 4-issue limited series, and a 6-issue concluding limited series. The universe itself provides the stage and the backdrop.

Outer space-based characters were once a mainstay of the comics industry, especially in the 40s and 50s, but except for a brief revival in the 70s have never truly been given much in the way of a well-deserved focus. Marvel Comics has a unique and diverse stable of strange space-faring heroes and villains whose time has come to shine once again. But can they survive ANNIHILATION?

“The basic idea is that we've got a ton of cool space characters that have been under used--and to a certain degree misused--for several years,” notes Marvel editor Andy Schmidt. “They're fantastic characters that just need to be dusted off and thrust into some new stories that give them a chance to shine. They should and can be great to read about. And during ANNIHILATION, they will be.”

The scope of the new event is as wide and expansive a space itself:

ANNIHILATION:PROLOGUE – written by Keith Giffen (Legion of Super-Heroes, Justice League, DRAX THE DESTROYER, HOWLING COMMANDOES) and art by Scott Kolins (AVENGERS, MARVEL-TEAM UP) and Ariel Olivetti (Space Ghost). Kolins says: “Working with Giffen is a dream come true. His plans are amazing and I’m ecstatic to be drawing this prologue. It’s gonna rock!”

SILVER SURFER – written by Keith Giffen and art by Renato Arlem (IMPERFECTS)

SUPER-SKRULL – written by Javier Grillo-Marxuach (ABC’s “Lost”, The Middle Man) and art by Greg Titus (Syn, ICEMAN)

NOVA – written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (Legion of Super-Heroes) and art by Kev Walker (EXILES)

RONAN THE ACCUSER – written by Simon Furman (DEATH’S HEAD, TRANSFORMERS UK) and art by Jorge Lucas (INHUMANS, COLOSSUES: BLOODINE)

ANNIHILATION – the 6-issue coda to the event that gathers all the players together, written by Keith Giffen!

Other extraterrestrial entities that will appear in ANNIHILATION will include such hardhitting powerhouses as Drax, Quasar, and fan-favorite baddie Thanos. Fans should keep their eyes to the telescope, as even more cosmic characters taking part in the event will be revealed as the launch date nears.

“I am front-row-center for this party,” enthuses Marvel Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada. “Andy’s more than right to point out that these space guys have not been given a proper spotlight lately…but hey! Ya can’t keep good, nay, GREAT characters down at ol’ Marvel, and this one’s chock fulla great characters! Now, if only I could convince Andy and his gang to use the Guardians of the Galaxy…”

When Andy Schmidt is pressed to pinpoint the single best thing about ANNIHILATION, he smiles the smile of a proud papa. “There's so much going on that I can't pick just one. For me, it's just great to finally see these cool space characters in new and intense situations.

“I can't wait to see what all the fans think!”

a prologue one-shot, four 4-issue limited series, and a 6-issue concluding limited series.

Wonder where he got this idea from? foreheadslap.gif

It does sound veeerrrry familiar... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

But, but...isn't Marvel responsible for DC's success? i.e. DC is following Marvel's formula. JQ says it's so, so it must be true....and JQ is an honorable man.(I expect to see some daggers showing up at Marvel by next year and maybe some internal Annihilation)

Looks like Ol' Joe Q is stealin' again... but he'll blame DC for copying him from Rann/Thanagar War?

Oh wait, I forgot Joe Q. also has a book coming out too... It has all the magical characters from Marvel getting killed by an insane Doctor Strange. He's calling it Dazed & Confused of Vengeance.

screwy.gif

a prologue one-shot, four 4-issue limited series, and a 6-issue concluding limited series. The universe itself provides the stage and the backdrop.

that's an earth shattering format!

i mean, whooda thunkit? spinning separate stories into one grand story?

i've never heard the like.

When Andy Schmidt is pressed to pinpoint the single best thing about ANNIHILATION, he smiles the smile of a proud papa. “There's so much going on that I can't pick just one. For me, it's just great to finally see these cool space characters in new and intense situations.

Oh man! This quote said it all. There isn't anything good to pinpoint is what he wanted to say! This has bad written all over it. I do like Lanning and Abnett on Nova though.

Speaking of lame, has anyone been getting these recent cosmic superhero books by Marvel. Taking Marvel superheroes and giving them the cosmic power. Oi vey.

I thought that StrazinkR$#$@#@#@yi was doing a Silver Surfer series?

Pat

Next up from Marvel:

The Infinity Identity Crisis Gauntlet

The Infinity Identity Crisis Gauntlet Clone Saga! acclaim.gif

The Infinity Identity Crisis Gauntlet Clone Earths Wars Saga! insane.gif

The Infinity Identity Crisis Gauntlet Clone Earths Wars About The I Disc Saga!

Ugh. Has there ever been a mega-event-with-900-crossover thing from Marvel that was actually any good? I haven't read "House of M", but I remember these from the past:

- Atlantis Attacks

- Acts of Vengeance

- Infinity Gauntlet/War/Watch/etc.

- Galactic Storm

- Onslaught

- Secret Wars II

...and they all stunk. I don't remember one mega-event that wasn't disappointing and an obvious ploy to rake in as many bucks as possible (by crossing over into as many different titles as possible).

**Edited to add Secret Wars II. My subconscious mind has probably tried desperately to forget that Pinto (car) of an event.

Ugh. Has there ever been a mega-event-with-900-crossover thing from Marvel that was actually any good? I haven't read "House of M", but I remember these from the past:

- Atlantis Attacks

- Acts of Vengeance

- Infinity Gauntlet/War/Watch/etc.

- Galactic Storm

- Onslaught

- Secret Wars II

...and they all stunk. I don't remember one mega-event that wasn't disappointing and an obvious ploy to rake in as many bucks as possible (by crossing over into as many different titles as possible).

**Edited to add Secret Wars II. My subconscious mind has probably tried desperately to forget that Pinto (car) of an event.

it wasn't univere spanning like SW1, but the last big 'mutant events' i liked were Inferno and Mutant Masacre.

Next up from Marvel:

Oh, my turn ..... how about

The Infinite Crisis of the Identity of Multiple Clone Earths caused by the Infinity Gaunlet during the Secret Wars II Saga.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Next up from Marvel:

Oh, my turn ..... how about

The Infinite Crisis of the Identity of Multiple Clone Earths caused by the Infinity Gaunlet during the Secret Wars II Saga.

Yes? No? Maybe?

The Infinite Crisis of the Identity of Multiple Clone Earths caused by the Infinity Gaunlet during the Secret Wars II with the Cosmic Cube Saga!

thumbsup2.gif

The main Infinity Gauntlet series was good in my opinion....

You know, I liked the build-up Surfer/Thanos prologue, loved the Thanos Quest main event, but I really did not like Infinity Gauntlet endgame all that much on its own. confused-smiley-013.gif