• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Page quality/color affect grade?
3 3

11 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2024 at 1:39 PM, Cameljay said:

Hello, well title says it all. Does page quality/color affect the grade of a book. Ie. Can a book with cream color pages get a 9.8? Ty

I was under the impression that page color does not affect grade until you get to tan and 9.8 can be cream. However, given the chart posted above and doubled checked in the CGC Grading Guide, apparently 9.8 cannot be cream.

I wonder if this has changed. I would have sworn I have seen 9.8 with cream pages. 

Edited by Mr. Zipper

On 3/18/2024 at 1:54 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

I wonder if this has changed. I would have sworn I have seen 9.8 with cream pages. 

This has changed, but I'm not sure when...

Modern Age (1980-Present):Superhero, Wolverine (Limited Series) #1 (Marvel, 1982) CGC MT 10 Off-white to white pages....

image.png.92b5c18b12bf4d745acf240a83b607ff.png

Edited by wardevil0
added certification info

On 3/19/2024 at 6:58 PM, habsfan1 said:

what a page colour spread and the 2 covers higher than the given grade?

According to CGC, no book with Light Tan to Off White pages, no matter how nice the rest of it is, can receive a grade higher than 8.5

The max grade for a book with Light Tan to Off White pages is 8.5

On 3/19/2024 at 7:36 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

According to CGC, no book with Light Tan to Off White pages, no matter how nice the rest of it is, can receive a grade higher than 8.5

The max grade for a book with Light Tan to Off White pages is 8.5

Ah, researching now and I guess I haven’t seen the tan used much leading into Off White.  Just looking it up and didn’t realize all the specific designations (thumbsu

On 3/18/2024 at 11:39 AM, Cameljay said:

Hello, well title says it all. Does page quality/color affect the grade of a book. Ie. Can a book with cream color pages get a 9.8? Ty

No.

From what I can tell you'll find the Cream Pages designation rare. Cream to Off-White pages is a common qualifier found in books up to 9.8.

The highest grade book I've found with Cream Pages is a 6.0.

The qualifier becomes more common in the 3.5 range and lower. 

2c

lf (1) (1).jpeg

Edited by grendelbo

I once owned a Silver Surfer #4 in CGC 8.0....

It shook within the older case, but had cream to off-white pages, or maybe just cream pages.

I was new and didn't like it too much as an example, but it only cost me like $400. A long time ago though or within the past decade though, did I mention I was "new?"

Traded it and an ASM #129 CGC 4.5 for this doh!

On 3/19/2024 at 11:51 PM, grendelbo said:

No.

From what I can tell you'll find the Cream Pages designation rare. Cream to Off-White pages is a common qualifier found in books up to 9.8.

The highest grade book I've found with Cream Pages is a 6.0.

The qualifier becomes more common in the 3.5 range and lower. 

2c

3204663_Full_Rev.jpg?t=OC80LzIwMTkgMjoxN