• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman the Silver Age Omnibus #1 : Review...***** out *****
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Finally...its here and wow the price on Amazon is only $67 bucks. Over 800 Pages and the printing and reproduction is fantastic. The bang for the buck....just wow. I hope, I demand a second volume. They just do not make them like they used to. I am over halfway  done  in on this omnibus and its just amazing for the time, the craft and the excellent writing that was in that time period. When I read this, I try to place myself back in time..to when you would go to the newsstand and buy these amazing treasures.

This was an important step in the sliver age....like a snapshot in time. Let me know your opinions on this?

My highest recommendation as a 50 plus year collector.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 3/18/2024 at 1:00 PM, jeffreyk said:

I received mine today from in-stock trades.  Only 50 there and free shipping.   I love omnibus books!  I am currently finishing up reading my Devils Reign Omnibus.  It's also a good read.

Excellent...please let us know what your review after you get to it!

Not a fan of Omnibus or contemporary (computer reconstructed) reprints. But definitely a big fan of Silver Age Super-Man :smile:

If someone has time to take a few good quality scans or photos of the inner pages, as to provide a good idea of the colors/line work quality, I would deeply appreciate. :)

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 4:45 PM, Kromak said:

Not a fan of Omnibus or contemporary (computer reconstructed) reprints. But definitely a big fan of Silver Age Super-Man :smile:

If someone has time to take a few good quality scans or photos of the inner pages, as to provide a good idea of the colors/line work quality, I would deeply appreciate. :)

There is a full seven minute plus  video review on youtube...."SUPERMAN the silver age omnibus vol 1 First Look"....it just came out.....FANTASTIC 

If anyone can please link this...thanks

Edited by Mmehdy

I dunno.  first question:  why are the dimensions of the book taller than the comics they reprint?  there's 2-3" of dead WHITE SPACE ON EACH PAGE.  Is this part of a series of books that started with the taller dimension Modern comics reprints, so these are forced to live on pages that are too tall for the squarer dimensions 50-60s pages?  lame

Also, not much in the way of greatness in these stories.  A collector would be better off getting reading copies of these issues. Yeah it would cost a lot more, but it's not as if these PCs will increase in value.  They go down in time.  Like all the HC we have all bought al these years cause they are so cool when new..  just IMO.

OK I looked at a different set and yes, the HC page size was designed for newer taller comics which fit well on the pages.  SO they preferred that each book line up on shelves better than how the stories themselves read on page.  clever.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 6.49.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 6.47.58 PM.png

Edited by Aman619

On 3/22/2024 at 3:47 PM, Aman619 said:

I dunno.  first question:  why are the dimensions of the book taller than the comics they reprint?  there's 2-3" of dead WHITE SPACE ON EACH PAGE.  Is this part of a series of books that started with the taller dimension Modern comics reprints, so these are forced to live on pages that are too tall for the squarer dimensions 50-60s pages?  lame

Also, not much in the way of greatness in these stories.  A collector would be better off getting reading copies of these issues. Yeah it would cost a lot more, but it's not as if these PCs will increase in value.  They go down in time.  Like all the HC we have all bought al these years cause they are so cool when new..  just IMO.

OK I looked at a different set and yes, the HC page size was designed for newer taller comics which fit well on the pages.  SO they preferred that each book line up on shelves better than how the stories themselves read on page.  clever.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 6.49.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 6.47.58 PM.png

I think if you keep this year...1958 in context and the new editor of Action/Superman run which I was unaware  and where this volume begings then  the stories are fantastic. This is over 3 years before FF1.....but as you get deeper into the years say 1959/60 the Sci-Fi elements really stand out. So I do disagree with you and the price in this format is unbeatable at over 800 pages with the new introduction.  A big value for $67.