• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about how CGC defines the Title of a graded comic book
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I have a Junkyard Joe #1 Bulletproof Metal Edition, virgin, exclusive, that has Junkyard Joe #1 as the title printed on the CGC label.

However, the interior of the book actually contains Junkyard Joe #1 and #2. What governs what CGC puts as the title on the label?

Having a label of Junkyard Joe #1 is misleading since #2 is part of this book.  Your thoughts? Thank you,

Kortoga

Junkyard Joe #1 - Copy.JPG

How is the publisher misleading? I don't understand. Unless the process is to read the publication page and print whatever it says.

I do not know what CGC's process is for determining the title of a book. Looking at the inside publication page? I would think this would be a minimum step on virgin covers. Are there other steps taken? This is why I am asking.

However, I do not have a picture of the inside publication page to know how the book was described or titled by the publisher. I bought this pre-slabbed.

Is it possible to get this changed to read Junkyard Joe #1 and #2?

On 3/18/2024 at 3:27 PM, shadroch said:

Is there a separate version of #2?  If not, I don't see any issue with how they do it.  If anyone is misleading people, it's the publisher.

This is a reprint of a 6 book series, each with its own book. This particular exclusive was created, but with #1 and #2 inside. I do not know why. I am sure the publisher has their reasons.

As above, it should say whatever the publisher put in the Indicia on the publication page. It would help if you knew exactly what it says there - maybe someone can fill in that missing factoid.

They did designate the Special Edition, which helps to be more specific. 

If you are not happy with the way it was produced, you could contact Customer Service, state your case, and get their take on it.

On 3/18/2024 at 9:38 PM, Lightning55 said:

As above, it should say whatever the publisher put in the Indicia on the publication page. It would help if you knew exactly what it says there - maybe someone can fill in that missing factoid.

I agree, I am working on getting this info, thank you

As mentioned above, it's a variant edition that reprints the first two issues.  They could probably be a notation about it reprinting both books but I don't think it'll be called #1 and #2 since the bulletproof edition is both books included in one book. 

Edited by Semicentennial

As others have stated, CGC uses the publisher's printed information on the indicia, which incidentally is what they file with the Library of Congress, so that is the official legal title, regardless of what is on the cover.  Robert Overstreet used this designation when setting up the Comic Book Price Guide and it's been followed by most serious collectors and dealers since, and more recently by CGC of course.  In some instances what is printed on the indicia varies considerably from how it was marketed on the front cover, so it can be important to know this fact for precise discussion of comics.