• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to figure out if this FF #5 will come back as restored or blue with "LOTS AND LOTS OF TAPE" annotation
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Congrats on getting an F.F. 5.

The book appears to be in the GD/VG 3.0 to VG- 3.5 range so the tape is not really going to affect the grade.

Transparent "Scotch" tape is not considered restoration, CGC grades the book as if the tape were not there, grading the book based on the defects the tape is attempting to repair. (Spine splits, detached cover, tears, holding on pieces, preventing chipping from getting worse, etc.)

If it is a higher grade book and tape was used as a "precautionary" method (say to prevent spine splints) but there is no defect at this time, just tape, the book will be downgraded accordingly but will still receive a Blue Label.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2024 at 11:59 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Congrats on getting an F.F. 5.

The book appears to be in the GD/VG 3.0 to VG- 3.5 range so the tape is not really going to affect the grade.

Transparent "Scotch" tape is not considered restoration, CGC grades the book as if the tape were not there, grading the book based on the defects the tape is attempting to repair. (Spine splits, detached cover, tears, holding on pieces, preventing chipping from getting worse, etc.)

If it is a higher grade book and tape was used as a "precautionary" method (say to prevent spine splints) but there is no defect at this time, just tape, the book will be downgraded accordingly but will still receive a Blue Label.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

ah yes, I have an FF 9 where someone 'helpfully" taped all the corners :-/.  Thanks for the info!

Edited by Corvonie

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2024 at 12:05 PM, grendelbo said:

I agree with @marvelmaniac. Tape isn't resto. I'm more at 2.5-ish.

I'm also assuming the "N" doesn't count as resto, but rather as the equivalent of someone writing their name on the cover.  Thanks so much, y'all.

And look, if it came back at a 3.5 I'd be on cloud nine, but I think it's more a 2.0/5.

But it isn't fragile in any way and is surprisingly supple with really nice pages so who knows!

Edited by Corvonie

From the image I’m suspecting color touch that would be in the black along the spine. That would be a purple label.  Tape alone is treated as a defect in grade. 

On 3/20/2024 at 1:40 PM, Topnotchman said:

From the image I’m suspecting color touch that would be in the black along the spine. That would be a purple label.  Tape alone is treated as a defect in grade. 

so that IS a good question.  In person, it does not look like color touch to me and it does not bleed through at all.  It looks like a strange artifact of removing that tape.  But it could come back purple for sure.  The spine does not currently have tape on the outside. Thanks!