• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staple wear question
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2024 at 7:26 PM, Lightning55 said:

Looks a bit ragged to me.

Would have to see the rest of the cover to get a full impression for a fair assessment. 

IMG_9816.thumb.jpeg.64a60de03ba9e64b07cf727b34fb1777.jpeg

I think a 9.4 is generous, but within the realm of possibility. If there is anything at all wrong with the back cover, that would make it even more generous. 

What I think is odd is that the majority of the front cover is relatively free of defects, compared to the heavier than usual wear and tear at the staples. You would expect more general, even wear. The spine has pronounced staple stress and a few spine tics, but with very little edge wear, no creases.

On 3/20/2024 at 8:31 PM, Lightning55 said:

I think a 9.4 is generous, but within the realm of possibility. If there is anything at all wrong with the back cover, that would make it even more generous. 

What I think is odd is that the majority of the front cover is relatively free of defects, compared to the heavier than usual wear and tear at the staples. You would expect more general, even wear. The spine has pronounced staple stress and a few spine tics, but with very little edge wear, no creases.

Back cover for reference.

IMG_9819.thumb.jpeg.91f2667763ef73ea5c6e7629eeb85258.jpeg

My concern with staple issues is if it’s a manufactured flaw or if it’s actually pulling from the cover now. Can’t remember seeing this on 9.4 ranges before.

I don't think it's a manufacturing flaw. Your photos and the CGC photos look similar, so I don't think it is pulling away any more than when graded, but could just be a bit loose, or look better or worse depending on the angle and lighting. 

Spine Ticks and Staple Tears Only...There is not even a mention of Staple Tears until you get to VF/NM 9.0, IMO, going by the grading standards the book you are showing with small color breaking spine ticks/staple tears is not a NM 9.4, but hey, what do I know.

That is why folks say "buy the book, not the grade".

NM+ 9.6 - Staples must be original, generally centered, with only the slightest discoloration.

NM 9.4 - Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration. Almost no stress lines. 

NM- 9.2 - Staples may show some discoloration. Almost no stress lines.

VF/NM 9.0 - Only the slightest staple tears are allowed. A very minor accumulation of stress lines may be present if they are nearly imperceptible.

VF 8.0 - Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present

FN/VF 7.0 - Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present.

On 3/20/2024 at 11:18 PM, N e r V said:

My concern with staple issues is if it’s a manufactured flaw or if it’s actually pulling from the cover now. Can’t remember seeing this on 9.4 ranges before.

I see this commonly on books that have been pressed multiple times.  It puts wear on the staples if the person doing the work doesn't know how to address it.  I think there are only a handful of people doing pressing that can execute without putting this wear on the staples. 

I wouldn't grade it 9.4 with that wear, personally.  9.0 at best.  2c