• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Quietly Updated Its Cases?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2024 at 11:59 AM, CGC Mike said:

This is what we stated regarding the holders in the last update.

In addition to our ongoing efforts to prosecute this fraud, we are continuing to make improvements to the security of our encapsulation process. Already, many customers have noticed a significantly stronger seal on our holders. We are currently testing further improvements to the seal along with high-tech solutions that will enhance the security of our process and holders. Watch for updates in the coming months about the specific improvements that we are making.

I can't tell on this thread where people are being serious and where it is just goofing around.

But your comment is serious so -- a serious response. 

It also needs to be safe to REMOVE a book from the holder.  CGC does this all the time for both regrading and for your signature series events.  There needs to be a small gap somewhere to start the removal of the outer holder.  I recently needed to remove a newly slabbed book from the holder for pressing and I found no such gap. I had to break off a corner with pliers.  

Sealing the outer holder tight is great, but the label swapping scam that recently was exposed happened because the gap in the seal of the outer holder is at the top - where the label is at.  And the label is not sealed inside the inner holder. It basically sits in a well at the top of the outer holder.  So leave a small gap at the bottom of the outer holder and seal the label in with the inner holder.  No label swaps possible. 

Besides --- archivally speaking there seems to be a consensus that the books need to be able to "breath" a little bit. Unless you can make the holder completely air tight - pumping out the atmospheric air and filling it with an inert gas.