• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Quietly Updated Its Cases?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2024 at 9:35 AM, Pontoon said:

I have zero patience for youtuber videos. I'm incapable of watching. They're like a wall of text to me, TLDR. I'll have to wait to read some posts on the subject.

Could not agree more. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:35 AM, Pontoon said:

I have zero patience for youtuber videos. I'm incapable of watching. They're like a wall of text to me, TLDR. I'll have to wait to read some posts on the subject.

Yep...I have no patience for the stretching for time. Life is too short. It's an annoying tactic to improve their metrics for pay. 

Maybe I'm just cynical about everything CGC right now but this feels especially sleezy.

Why are we finding out about this from a YouTuber based on speculation? Yes the recent announcement did mention changes but no details on what they are or when they were implemented. Shouldn't buyers be given these details so they can properly evaluate what they're buying? 

The only reason I can think of doing it this way is:

• CGC has now admitted in a legal filing the 3rd generation cases are flawed and can be exploited (fairly easily given all that's happened)
  • CGC just rolled out Pulp grading with the same case and is likely sitting on a mountain of inventory across all sizes so phasing out Gen 3 isn't an option without taking a hit
  • Nonetheless they are likely aware of more instances of people opening cases then they have admitted to and have no choice but to change the existing stock in some way to prevent more embarrassing and costly lawsuits
  • They don't want the market to have a marker to say whether a graded book is in the "good" case or "bad" case, so a stealth rollout effectively muddies the waters and doesn't devalue dealers existing inventory
  • Once the population of Gen 3 cases is sufficiently slushed around, expect a Gen 4 case with numerous improvements BUT very little mention of enhanced security as they hope the narrative of Gen 3 cases being exploitable will have died down and they don't want to fire it up again.
Edited by BrashL

On 3/22/2024 at 10:04 AM, Ryan. said:

Yes, yes, you guys are all too busy lifting weights and being handsome to have a video play passively in the background. I have helpfully provided a screengrab thusly:

image.png.79a436fd45c36cd27f24b8b626924a0c.png

You forgot counting stacks of hundreds. Thank you for understanding we need Cliff's Notes. :foryou:

The reason for not announcing new cases is fairly obvious. With the insanely high OCD level of comic collectors, a bunch of people receiving an order back with the old cases would flood CGC with complaints wanting the “new tamper proof case” and “why is CGC out to get me” and all sorts of complaints. They’re just trying to save themselves work, $$$ and headaches. Mostly $$$

On 3/22/2024 at 11:46 AM, BrashL said:

Maybe I'm just cynical about everything CGC right now but this feels especially sleezy.

Why are we finding out about this from a YouTuber based on speculation? Yes the recent announcement did mention changes but no details on what they are or when they were implemented. Shouldn't buyers be given these details so they can properly evaluate what they're buying? 

The only reason I can think of doing it this way is:

• CGC has now admitted in a legal filing the 3rd generation cases are flawed and can be exploited (fairly easily given all that's happened)
  • CGC just rolled out Pulp grading with the same case and is likely sitting on a mountain of inventory across all sizes so phasing out Gen 3 isn't an option without taking a hit
  • Nonetheless they are likely aware of more instances of people opening cases then they have admitted to and have no choice but to change the existing stock in some way to prevent more embarrassing and costly lawsuits
  • They don't want the market to have a marker to say whether a graded book is in the "good" case or "bad" case, so a stealth rollout effectively muddies the waters and doesn't devalue dealers existing inventory
  • Once the population of Gen 3 cases is sufficiently slushed around, expect a Gen 4 case with numerous improvements BUT very little mention of enhanced security as they hope the narrative of Gen 3 cases being exploitable will have died down and they don't want to fire it up again.

According to the video, the difference is the seal on the side is larger. If this is true, then it squarely falls under the previous announcements, which mentioned "improvements." It's not a new case... just a tweak to how the existing case is sealed and doesn't merit a separate detailed announcement IMO. 

If you want to cut through the fluff, the content begins at 3:30 and goes to around 5:00.

Edited by Mr. Zipper

On 3/22/2024 at 11:10 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

According to the video, the difference is the seal on the side is larger. If this is true, then it squarely falls under the previous announcements, which mentioned "improvements." It's not a new case... just a tweak to how the existing case is sealed and doesn't merit a separate detailed announcement IMO. 

I'm not saying it's a new case, but in light of two lawsuits and a 440 page thread, I don't know how you could think it "doesn't merit a separate detailed announcement"

• Administrator

This is what we stated regarding the holders in the last update.

In addition to our ongoing efforts to prosecute this fraud, we are continuing to make improvements to the security of our encapsulation process. Already, many customers have noticed a significantly stronger seal on our holders. We are currently testing further improvements to the seal along with high-tech solutions that will enhance the security of our process and holders. Watch for updates in the coming months about the specific improvements that we are making.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:04 AM, Ryan. said:

Yes, yes, you guys are all too busy lifting weights and being handsome to have a video play passively in the background. I have helpfully provided a screengrab thusly:

image.png.79a436fd45c36cd27f24b8b626924a0c.png

Your picture is too big.

I'm not looking at all of those pixels.

On 3/23/2024 at 2:32 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Your picture is too big.

I'm not looking at all of those pixels.

:whee:

On 3/22/2024 at 6:32 PM, Courageous Cat said:

I find dragon ink comics more entertaining. Not only can I get updates on comics, but a years worth of identity transformation in real time

Lol......