• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Old" CGC Slabs vs "New"
1 1

7 posts in this topic

There's a 9.8 slab I'm interested in and CGC Verification shows that it was graded in 2008.  Is there any concern with a slabbed comic this "old?" What are the major differences between the older slabs and what CGC is using now.  Also, I heard Newton Rings weren't as prevalent in the earlier slabs, is this true?

The only thing I would be really concerned with would be shaken comics syndrome. It can happen with any slab but the inner wells from this era had cut-outs at the corners: image.png.48dcc7cde4ff1055a295edc6d1a43fe1.pngimage.png.248850f98cf5c0299d231e4697a636c6.png making the crunch much more likely if dropped/shaken or even in extreme cases being stored upright due to gravity.

Older slaps sometimes have Newton rings, but if you slide a business card into a side slot, they vanish. A book slabbed in 2008 is less likely to have been pressed than one slabbed last year but more likely to have sustained some damage to the book or the case.

On 3/24/2024 at 9:15 PM, shadroch said:

Older slaps sometimes have Newton rings, but if you slide a business card into a side slot, they vanish. A book slabbed in 2008 is less likely to have been pressed than one slabbed last year but more likely to have sustained some damage to the book or the case.

Would you pass on principle due to the age and possibility of damages if you can't see it in person?  Unfortunately its on ebay.

On 3/24/2024 at 9:04 PM, DougC said:

The only thing I would be really concerned with would be shaken comics syndrome. It can happen with any slab but the inner wells from this era had cut-outs at the corners: image.png.48dcc7cde4ff1055a295edc6d1a43fe1.pngimage.png.248850f98cf5c0299d231e4697a636c6.png making the crunch much more likely if dropped/shaken or even in extreme cases being stored upright due to gravity.

Should you not store slabs upright long term?

On 3/25/2024 at 8:21 PM, Billy Bones said:

Would you pass on principle due to the age and possibility of damages if you can't see it in person?  Unfortunately its on ebay.

If it has good pictures, I'd look at them.  

On 3/25/2024 at 10:22 PM, Billy Bones said:

Should you not store slabs upright long term?

There was debate long term when they used that style of inner well any overhang will "eventually" cause damage. It is higher in likely hood to receive damage from the boxes me moved and the comics shaken in an up/down motion. That style of inner well hasn't been used in almost a decade now.