• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The JSA acquisition is going to be a game changer for Signed non witnessed books
3 3

50 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2024 at 2:31 PM, Mayor006 said:

It's already the 11th of April. Do we have any idea when this announcement will be made? Something tells me they are reading through these threads to make sure they have all the t's crossed and i's dotted.

I'm hoping soon. I got a book at the presser now. If announced in time I might be able to get my order switched.

On 3/26/2024 at 1:15 PM, DocGo said:

I’ve said this a few times already but I’ll keep saying it until we get the news in April: CGC, please do not give authenticated books the same yellow label as witnessed books! I have a good amount of qualified books like many of you but there is a HUGE difference between authentication and witnessing. I’m praying CGC realizes this and doesn’t cannibalize their own Signature Series program :wishluck:

I'd be okay with keeping the yellow label and adding somewhere a A (Authenticated) or W (Witnessed) to it. Any yellow label without those two letters would be understood to be pre-authentication service books. I'm not at all against a different color though if that's what they go with. Just glad they're finally getting on board.

On 4/13/2024 at 12:08 PM, Mac321st said:

I'd be okay with keeping the yellow label and adding somewhere a A (Authenticated) or W (Witnessed) to it. Any yellow label without those two letters would be understood to be pre-authentication service books. I'm not at all against a different color though if that's what they go with. Just glad they're finally getting on board.

The yellow label has become a brand to me. It means that this signature was witnessed and there’s no doubt it’s real. A single letter on a predominantly yellow label is not enough of a distinction to me and would undoubtedly create confusion in the market place. Unless these books also have a witnessed signature on them, the color has to be a different color. Still praying that this will be the case.

On 4/13/2024 at 1:08 PM, Mac321st said:

I like this idea. I would add a colour coding as well (or cross hatching). I am not much of an eBay buyer but it would be nice if they were easy to distinguish in photos.

I posted this in the other General thread, now with an edited first statement:

* I think combining a Verified & Signature Series label for comics would dilute the CGC Signature Series brand, one that has been championed as the only all-witnessed product, and valued for this by collectors.

*I feel this may have an adverse affect on the SS process in general.  (Previously mentioned in someone else's post) One potential aspect is related to the creators who are charging more for SS signatures, a customer now can pay the lower (non-SS) signing price and then go and submit the book for Verified status. Shenanigans galore. There won't be a need for the facilitator, bottom line might mean that creator signature prices go up across the board to counter this tactic which of course affects the true raw signed book collectors wallet.

* Possible use of JSA for CGC application? Limit the authentication to creators/celebrities, etc to those that have passed away prior to the inception of the Signature Series program, and give it a completely different label.  Easy peasy, with less/little/no detrimental effects on the SS program as it is.

On 4/19/2024 at 4:17 PM, GACollectibles said:

I posted this in the other General thread, now with an edited first statement:

* I think combining a Verified & Signature Series label for comics would dilute the CGC Signature Series brand, one that has been championed as the only all-witnessed product, and valued for this by collectors.

*I feel this may have an adverse affect on the SS process in general.  (Previously mentioned in someone else's post) One potential aspect is related to the creators who are charging more for SS signatures, a customer now can pay the lower (non-SS) signing price and then go and submit the book for Verified status. Shenanigans galore. There won't be a need for the facilitator, bottom line might mean that creator signature prices go up across the board to counter this tactic which of course affects the true raw signed book collectors wallet.

* Possible use of JSA for CGC application? Limit the authentication to creators/celebrities, etc to those that have passed away prior to the inception of the Signature Series program, and give it a completely different label.  Easy peasy, with less/little/no detrimental effects on the SS program as it is.

I would assume, like the other guys that have a verified signature program, that there would be a higher charge for verifying sigs. I believe that witnessed you pay $5 a sig, and verified you pay $25 a sig. So, in the long run you really wouldn't save by going the not pay the creator for a witnessed sig route. The few times I have taken advantage with the competition was when I went to an event there wasn't a witness at, or if I bought a book off a creators website that came autographed. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that personally, if I'm paying around the same cost either way, I'd rather the creator get the extra money then CGC. 

On 4/19/2024 at 5:26 PM, Skippeydoo said:

I would assume, like the other guys that have a verified signature program, that there would be a higher charge for verifying sigs. I believe that witnessed you pay $5 a sig, and verified you pay $25 a sig. So, in the long run you really wouldn't save by going the not pay the creator for a witnessed sig route. The few times I have taken advantage with the competition was when I went to an event there wasn't a witness at, or if I bought a book off a creators website that came autographed. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that personally, if I'm paying around the same cost either way, I'd rather the creator get the extra money then CGC. 

Part of the equation we don't know is cost of Authenticated product will be, so we'll have to wait and see

Bottom line is I think it still would be better as a separate product/label from Yellow Label Signature Series.

On 4/19/2024 at 4:37 PM, GACollectibles said:

Part of the equation we don't know is cost of Authenticated product will be, so we'll have to wait and see

Bottom line is I think it still would be better as a separate product/label from Yellow Label Signature Series.

I can agree with that!

On 4/19/2024 at 5:26 PM, Skippeydoo said:

I think for the majority of creators it makes sense to go Yellow label, if available. But for big names that charge a graded premium that's greater than the yet-to-be-determined verification fee, or for creators that won't do CGC signatures at public signings (e.g. Todd McFarlane), I could see it making sense.

As for creators getting the extra money from a signature up-charge, the pessimist in me wants to say that's not going to be true with any artist that isn't representing themself.

On 4/13/2024 at 10:36 AM, DocGo said:

The yellow label has become a brand to me. It means that this signature was witnessed and there’s no doubt it’s real. A single letter on a predominantly yellow label is not enough of a distinction to me and would undoubtedly create confusion in the market place. Unless these books also have a witnessed signature on them, the color has to be a different color. Still praying that this will be the case.

This aligns to my thoughts also. Keep the Yellow as is, for witnessed signatures via the current process and not COAs, etc. Come up with a "Verified" color to not dilute the Signature Series brand. And then I can resubmit my "green" labels for verified signature :grin: