• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hotshot Comics
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any updates regarding Hotshot Comics and CGC?

At one point I recall CGC was getting involved in an attempt to help victims who preordered graded books from Hotshot Comics and things seemed to be moving in the right direction. I, like many others, submitted my claim information and was led to believe that CGC would be working to get books routed to the purchasers. However, after reaching out the other day to CGC directly, I received a reply this evening indicating, "...submissions from HotShot comics have been sent back to the submitter, and we would recommend reaching out to them directly to retrieve your purchase.

Given that one of the primary issues at hand was that the submitter was ignoring all attempts to honor orders or return books, how does CGC returning them to the submitter help in any way resolve this issue? I get the impression that rather than provide any real assistance, all CGC has done was simply to collect any outstanding grading fees they could while leaving those who unfortunately were caught up in the mess in the same spot they were before they got involved. Even worse, it seems like any reference to this matter has either been locked or brushed under the proverbial rug after all the grandstanding ran its course. At the end of the day, we all realized Doug was a piece of work, but I suppose I was foolishly hoping that things would have turned out differently once CGC got involved. 

I don’t know how much power they have other than “clean things up or else we’re not doing business with you anymore”  

So hotshot decided not to clean things up and not do business anymore with cgc and to keep the funds they already got.  

im not sure what other action cgc could/would take

On 3/27/2024 at 10:03 PM, revat said:

I don’t know how much power they have other than “clean things up or else we’re not doing business with you anymore”  

So hotshot decided not to clean things up and not do business anymore with cgc and to keep the funds they already got.  

im not sure what other action cgc could/would take

And I think that would have been fine had they simply done nothing. However, there was a bit more pomp and circumstance with this matter where CGC and their in-house counsel got involved and alluded to the fact that CGC would send books directly back to the individuals who were able to provide receipt of purchase rather than to Hotshot Comics whose business practices were shall we say questionable. Not only did that not happen but I get the impression that it's likely that CGC realized they may have overstepped and/or over-promised, they stopped providing any updates or information to those who they had assured they were working to make things right.

While I'm certainly disappointed, I wasn't terribly impacted as I only had a few preorders with them amounting to a few hundred dollars. However, I know there were many others who likely viewed this as a potential ray of hope in getting some pretty big books back. 

On 3/28/2024 at 6:17 PM, Vegas021 said:

And I think that would have been fine had they simply done nothing. However, there was a bit more pomp and circumstance with this matter where CGC and their in-house counsel got involved and alluded to the fact that CGC would send books directly back to the individuals who were able to provide receipt of purchase rather than to Hotshot Comics whose business practices were shall we say questionable. Not only did that not happen but I get the impression that it's likely that CGC realized they may have overstepped and/or over-promised, they stopped providing any updates or information to those who they had assured they were working to make things right.

While I'm certainly disappointed, I wasn't terribly impacted as I only had a few preorders with them amounting to a few hundred dollars. However, I know there were many others who likely viewed this as a potential ray of hope in getting some pretty big books back. 

I'm not picking sides, but the way it sounds or imo, it looks like cgc did just that, but somehow when they are quoted, "all have been sent"... It doesn't explain why yours are not?

If that helps get to the root of anything? Did hotshot even send the books you ordered to CGC for you? Like they were supposed too? 

Idk

Or more importantly idk how to suggest a course of action other than pm or tag cgc mike lol which sounds to me, again, like CGC already has determined it is a done deal 

So I just don't know :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Tbh if hotshot wasn't on the up and up, I wouldn't doubt that their situation was so bad that towards the end they didn't even bother fulfilling orders, which is a shame, because that is in more ways than one.

Cgc can in effect control what was sent to them, but given cgc s response that it "they were all sent and over and done with?"

That sounds like they did their part with the submissions actually sent to them and had it rectified, but hotshots end is a "loose end" that CGC can't tie up themselves. If hotshot didn't even send to cgc nor involve cgc with some orders, which would be an unknown to CGC and they can't verify or force hotshot to comply, other than your proof, of which you probably have, and I might pm cgc mike with what info you have! Try and see if cgc can't internally document their involvement or if their involvement looks to be all sewed up and fulfilled on their end?

THEN AND ONLY THEN do I understand cgc s response to talk to hotshot. All of this is speculation on my part, but is what I'm hearing if it were me.

Idk

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I think there was another thread regarding Hot Shot awhile ago - I may be mistaken, but this who situation sounds familiar...

On 3/28/2024 at 7:27 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not picking sides, but the way it sounds or imo, it looks like cgc did just that, but somehow when they are quoted, "all have been sent"... It doesn't explain why yours are not?

If that helps get to the root of anything? Did hotshot even send the books you ordered to CGC for you? Like they were supposed too? 

Idk

Or more importantly idk how to suggest a course of action other than pm or tag cgc mike lol which sounds to me, again, like CGC already has determined it is a done deal 

So I just don't know :cheers:

That is certainly a valid point as I have no way to confirm if Hotshot even ever sent my "pre-order" in for grading. For all I know, the farce was so bad by that point that many of the books they were taking orders on probably never made it to CGC. However, this was a systemic enough issue that CGC decided to step in and in what I honestly believe was an effort of goodwill, tried to get books back to the customers once Hotshot ended up paying up on their tab. To that end, CGC asked affected individuals to reach out and submit information and claims. Why do this if GCG was simply going to just grade and send books back to the vendor once the vendor paid? That's how the process normally works, so if they were simply doing what they do, there was no need to request affected individuals to submit claims and receipts to validate books and state that CGC would work (no guarantee was made) to get books returned to the buyer. That's the part that leads to confusion. 

I like many others sent in a claims form and invoice receipts, to which I did get an initial prompt response from CGC acknowledging receipt of the information. Beyond that nothing until I finally reached out 8 months later only to be told all books were sent back to the submitter (HotShot Comics) not the buyers. Why did I have to reach out to find this out? One would think that if CGC was requesting information with the intention of helping rectify the situation they wold have provided either timely updates or at least a notice at the conclusion of their efforts - neither of which were proactively done. Unfortunately, before the original thread was closed, it appears that several posts were deleted/cleaned up which likely contained information that alluded to CGC sending books back to individuals rather than the HotShot Comics. I suspect this incensed Doug (owner of HotShot) and likely resulted in some legal sparring that resulted in CGC having to walk back what they would probably had intended to do but ended up being quite different than what they were perhaps legally bound to do.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:47 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think there was another thread regarding Hot Shot awhile ago - I may be mistaken, but this who situation sounds familiar...

Yes, there was. I believe this happened right around the same time as the whole Hero Restoration debacle. While that thread was allowed to continue, the Hotshot Comics thread ended up abruptly closing shortly have getting started. 

Hotshot Comics - CGC Forum Thread

• Administrator

This is from the terms of use.  

21.  Re-posting removed threads, posts or topics.  That includes threads that have been locked.  If a thread has been locked, do not take up the discussion in another thread.    An exception will be made for the marketplace, if changes are made to comply with the rules.