• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X Men 88
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi all I really appreciate the help. I’m an amateur restorer of comics. Attached are some photos of my recent project. I know it’s taboo to restore but I actually like it and only work on certain books. Usually those that have restoration to start with. In any case was hoping to get an accurate grade on this one. I was thinking of submitting with notes to detail everything I did. Look forward to the community’s opinion on grade. Thank you!

IMG_5146.jpeg

IMG_5147.jpeg

IMG_5148.jpeg

IMG_5149.jpeg

IMG_5150.jpeg

IMG_5151.jpeg

IMG_5152.jpeg

IMG_5153.jpeg

IMG_5154.jpeg

IMG_5155.jpeg

IMG_5156.jpeg

IMG_5157.jpeg

IMG_5158.jpeg

IMG_5159.jpeg

Hi, not sure how we can help you without more information. What was the estimated grade of the book before your restoration? What restoration work did you carry out? Have pieces been added? Archival or other materials used/added?

What are the remaining faults as you see them, both inside and out?  If for example you made good on a complete spine split, the grade will still be very low even if the book looks nice, which it does. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

Thank you for the information. It was purchased as a fine. I did some dry cleaning and pressing. Restored is a slight amount of color touch top right and bottom right corners. Cover was reglossed using methyl cellulose. No tear seals or anything of that nature. Hope that helps. 

Qualified 8.0. IMO, it's not worth submitting restored comics to CGC unless they're like GA & can be "conserved" rather than "restored". With a reprint book like this (X-Men 40 is a personal early  fave of mine), you're underwater, or close to it, on value vs. cost of grading. FMV unrestored looking like this is probably a $150-160 book, so it *might* sell for $80 (I'd bet lower tho). 2c

It certainly looks great & would display well in a rigid holder of some kind. Nice to have in a PC.

Thank you both. I wanted to submit this more as a test of my skills with restoration rather than money. I like restored books I think the stigma will die down eventually. I’ve been snatching up restored books for a steal to try and improve them before submitting. Hoping for the A quality designation and VF plus slabs. Crossing my fingers on this one.