• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andru OA Questions? Quick help needed....please

30 posts in this topic

I asked some questions but no one responded. I have no OA, but am in love with both the pieces that end in a couple of hours. Are they higher than people expected? Lower? I don't mind paying the price but I want my first foray into OA worthwhile and I don't want to get taken either. Is a couple grand each a current market value on pieces of this nature. Please help me, as your advice will help me judge whether I give them a really "good go" or not. Thanks.

Jim

Jim,

we've had some dealings in the past, so I feel compelled to answer. With OA, as everyone knows, is difficult to gauge.....being that there is nothing to compare it to....but what I would tell you in a nutshell, is to assess what you feel comfortable spending and stick to it. Don't wonder whether or not that you are paying too much....I did that with two pieces that I really, really wish I had just sucked it up and bought them....and in both cases, they were selling for less than they were worth.

If you are buying to enjoy them for what they are and you want them for your personal collection, then it's a subjective thing. I have bought stuff that if I never make a dime on, that's fine. I love the pieces, would pay much more than what I bought them for and have no plans on selling. That's how you determine what you should bid....

Okay guys, thanks for the advice......I got 'em and if KK's price estimations are even vaguely close, well I did really well smile.gif Can't wait to pick them up. Thanks for the input.

Jim

Congratulations! That 176 page in particular is quite nice!

Best,

I tried to link it, but it was way too long. Do a bidder search for kennercanada and you'll see what we are talking about. Thanks for everbodys input. When I saw the auctions first come up I said "Okay I'll bid a grand for the pair" to myself, then I thought okay it might take $2,000 to get it done. Well it took more than that but with the advice of the forumites I think I did well. Hopefully you'll be seeing more of me in the future.

Jim

I tried to link it, but it was way too long. Do a bidder search for kennercanada and you'll see what we are talking about. Thanks for everbodys input. When I saw the auctions first come up I said "Okay I'll bid a grand for the pair" to myself, then I thought okay it might take $2,000 to get it done. Well it took more than that but with the advice of the forumites I think I did well. Hopefully you'll be seeing more of me in the future.

Jim

WELCOME TO MY FORUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ASM art will always be the 'gold standard'. Nice pick-up,..especially for a first stab !!!

KK

Okay guys, thanks for the advice......I got 'em and if KK's price estimations are even vaguely close, well I did really well smile.gif Can't wait to pick them up. Thanks for the input.

Jim

I agree...those are really nice pages ! thumbsup2.gif

and now, there is no turning back. devil.gif

I got 'em and if KK's price estimations are even vaguely close

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

As a rule of thumb, divide his estimates by 2, at a minimum. In some cases, you may have to divide by more.

Those are nice pages - Goblin (even non-Norman Osborn) vs. Spidey pages will always fetch a premium. I don't think you got a deal, though. There were 4 awesome Spidey-Nightcrawler-Punisher pages from ASM #161-162 by Andru that sold in the $900-$1,700 range last year that I thought were of even better quality than the pages you bought. The one sale at $1,680 was even a splash! A double-page Andru spread from ASM #135 (featuring Spidey, the Punisher in his 2nd appearance and the Tarantula) sold for $2,000 last year too, and that of course is a much more significant piece. Most Andru pages fetch less than $1K.

I don't think the prices you paid are horrible, though they are definitely fully priced.

I'd bid about 5 K for the nice one and 3.75 K for the so-so one. Good luck !!!

Wow, these items ended at less than half of your estimates. frown.gif

If you take a second to remove your head from the latest original art price guide, it will be painfully obvious that the OA market has peaked and is now in the midst of a virtual free-fall - now is the time to sell before these "papers on fire" become completely worthless! 27_laughing.gif

I got 'em and if KK's price estimations are even vaguely close

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

As a rule of thumb, divide his estimates by 2, at a minimum. In some cases, you may have to divide by more.

Those are nice pages - Goblin (even non-Norman Osborn) vs. Spidey pages will always fetch a premium. I don't think you got a deal, though. There were 4 awesome Spidey-Nightcrawler-Punisher pages from ASM #161-162 by Andru that sold in the $900-$1,700 range last year that I thought were of even better quality than the pages you bought. The one sale at $1,680 was even a splash! A double-page Andru spread from ASM #135 (featuring Spidey, the Punisher in his 2nd appearance and the Tarantula) sold for $2,000 last year too, and that of course is a much more significant piece. Most Andru pages fetch less than $1K.

I don't think the prices you paid are horrible, though they are definitely fully priced.

I agree with all that you say here.... but, this page did sell at heritage for $1750 two years ago, so at least this one page has always been at a premium... and rightly so, it's pretty great! I also have a two page spread/sequence by Andru with Spidey fighting Sups that cost considerably more per page as well. But, to me, the Superman/Spiderman crossover was one of the seminal events of my childhood.... at least as far as comicbookdom goes... Dan

My next question is this.....what do I do with it now? smile.gif Do I find the comics and have the OA and printed pages framed together? Frame the art by itself? What do you guys do?

Jim

Frame the art by itself,...the other way comes off cheesy,..imho.