• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Attend 2024 Windy City Pulp And Paper Convention? ("Non-collectors exist to be ignored…")
3 3

37 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2024 at 4:45 PM, PhantomLadyKiller said:

Here’s a list of excuses for not attending that I hear all the time, and why none of them are good ones:

4–My wife is a non-collector and forbids me to go. Tell me about it! I’ve been married over 40 years and I’ve heard it all. I still go and I still collect. Once Les Mayer told me in 1990 at Wayne, NJ that his wife thought he was a business meeting. If she knew he was at a Pulpcon she might burn his pulps.

A fellow boardie and I will be attending the Windy City Pulp Con in 2025.  Unfortunately, we began planning a little too late to make it this year.  Plus, our "better halves" want to go too!  Imagine that!  So, there is a little more to the planning.

I hope everyone has a good time and please take some pics.  The rest of us want to see what we are missing.

On 4/4/2024 at 7:08 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

A fellow boardie and I will be attending the Windy City Pulp Con in 2025.  Unfortunately, we began planning a little too late to make it this year.  Plus, our "better halves" want to go too!  Imagine that!  So, there is a little more to the planning.

I hope everyone has a good time and please take some pics.  The rest of us want to see what we are missing.

Great Mall across the parking lot from the Westin should keep the better half busy spending money :bigsmile: i know mine loves the shops lol

On 4/10/2024 at 11:29 PM, catrick339 said:

Howdy Gang, 

Apologies after saying I would have a report. I honestly never got away from my booth except for bathroom breaks all weekend.

Thursday night set up was over before I could finish the booth, all day Friday was steady business, never even got to do any shopping. Saturday started strong and kept up to nearly the end, and by then we were pretty whipped, and went straight to dinner.

Sunday I broke down early, we headed to Metropolis IL  for the eclipse Monday.

Nary a pic of the show this year.

Anyone want a couple pix of the Superman museum?

20240408_084223.jpg

I take it this means you did well selling ?

If so that's great to hear (thumbsu

Glad you had a good show Rickster! I would think if one had some reasonably priced pulps, one would do well. I imagine there were quite a few priced at “dream expectations”.

A year ago, there were quite a few comic dealers and speculators buying up everything they thought was remotely cool. Folks with NO knowledge of pulps. I suspect a number of them have learned the error of their ways. 

On 4/11/2024 at 1:42 PM, Robot Man said:

Glad you had a good show Rickster! I would think if one had some reasonably priced pulps, one would do well. I imagine there were quite a few priced at “dream expectations”.

A year ago, there were quite a few comic dealers and speculators buying up everything they thought was remotely cool. Folks with NO knowledge of pulps. I suspect a number of them have learned the error of their ways. 

Definitely. Reasonably prices pulps were flying, along with the best hardcover sales  I've had. Science fiction and mystery books were both strong sellers.

On 4/11/2024 at 5:37 PM, catrick339 said:

Definitely. Reasonably prices pulps were flying, along with the best hardcover sales  I've had. Science fiction and mystery books were both strong sellers.

Any info you're willing to share re: hardcovers, i.e. genre, 1st edition, series driven, author, publisher, etc. ? GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 4/12/2024 at 6:12 PM, jimjum12 said:

Any info you're willing to share re: hardcovers, i.e. genre, 1st edition, series driven, author, publisher, etc. ? GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I had a new collection, many Philip K Dirk and John D. MacDonald first editions, both sold well. Misc 50s/60s SF first editions went, I have a good assortment at present. Early Robert B Parker, sold a couple. Signed Clive Barker. Pulps that sold briskly included Weird Tales and Planet Stories, with a mixed grille of sf and hero pulps. I am now out of Doc Savage and Shadow, low on Spider and G-8. My Breezy and Spicy titles sold early. Sold a stack of precode horror comics, along with early Master and Thrilling. But I was surprised, nary a Heinlein or Modesty Blaise sold this year. (shrugs)

Edited by catrick339

Oh, and I picked up a big pile of later Arkham House reprints last year, mostly Lovecraft and Ramsey Campbell, those sold briskly at $20 each.