• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman #2 9.2 on Heritage

21 posts in this topic

Stunning book. The outer corners and edges seem nearly perfect. Shame about the chip at the top of spine and the little split at the bottom, but still cloud9.gif

Any GA book where you have to heavily use Heritage's "zoom function" to see the "problems" is really impressive. A key book like this in 9.2 with white pages is just amazing. Hope a board member gets it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Anyone know the history of this copy?

Anyone know the history of this copy?

Timely sayeth:

"It is not a pedigree copy. It was part of a tiny collection that had Superman #1-5 & #7 in it and nothing else. I saw the #3 and #7 in 1991 and finally saw the #2 when it came in to be graded. It is SWEET! "

Movie hype? For that Superman #2? With a book like that, in that price range, I'd be surprised if movie hype had ANYTHING to do with the final price. To my mind, it was the best combination of quality and perceived availability in the whole auction. Unlike some of the other books in this auction I had no problem imagining potential buyers for this book. Personally, I think 54k was right on its money and not inflated at all.

Movie hype? For that Superman #2? With a book like that, in that price range, I'd be surprised if movie hype had ANYTHING to do with the final price. To my mind, it was the best combination of quality and perceived availability in the whole auction. Unlike some of the other books in this auction I had no problem imagining potential buyers for this book. Personally, I think 54k was right on its money and not inflated at all.

I'd have to question how much movie hype played a role in a $54k purchase. It is always possible if the buyer was a speculator plain and simple, but I presume the odds are it is a collector and/or dealer who bought it. The market for this book is limited (due to price, not interest) and becomes more limited as the price increases. Buyers of this type of book presumably know what they are looking for and buying, although of course JP proved that this does not always work.

Guys like JP have shown that speculators usually have plenty of money to spend. I am of course not sure who bought the book, but I still wouldn't rule out a speculator hype as being a factor in the final price. Buy the book, hang onto it for six months and then dump it back on Heritage when the movie comes out. Happens all the time. Of course, it could be some deep pockets collector too.

Happens all the time.

With $54,000, high grade/ best graded, golden age classic books from one of the three premier GA runs in the hobby? Sure, it's possible, but even IF the buyer of this book was a speculator, the price he paid was EXACTLY in line with what I expected (see my post in this thread from a month ago) so, to me, whoever the buyer was the price was not movie hype fueled. If it had gone for $75,000 or more, then maybe I would have been surprised, but as it stands this is an expected, not insane, result.

Come to think of it, is there any Superman movie hype in the back issue market? I honestly don't know. It's hard to imagine movie hype doing anything to a book like this though. It's such a top level book to begin with.