• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is grade impacted by Indentation from Writing on Comic Book
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have a large collection I purchased back in 2001 that I have started re-selling on Ebay. When taking pictures under lights I noticed that most of them have imperceptible writing on the back cover. The original owner wrote the price on a sticker while the comic was bagged but NOT boarded. Which the depression of the pen left a small indentation of that price on the back cover.  When you look straight on you don't even notice (which I didn't at the time unfortunately), but when you shine a light and place comic at an angle you can see the price/writing.

I was wondering how much this would reduce the grade (assuming the rest of the comic was near mint 9.2 to 9.6 range). What would I need to reduce the grade in everyone's opinion?

Thank you for your advice.

Paul  

back cover indent straight on.JPG

back cover indent under light.JPG

I would say it makes quite a difference in higher grades. For example, a 9.4 book otherwise could drop a couple points (down to 9.0)

If the books are in the Fine range or lower, it is unlikely this flaw would hurt the grade. Depending on the book and the grade it could hit, I would definitely consider pressing these books because for some, the value difference between 9.0-9.2 and 9.6+ is huge

According to the Heritage guide, you can have actual dates written on the cover up to 9.6--so this raises an interesting question--is the impression caused by actual writing on the cover less of a defect than the indentations caused by writing on a superimposed surface, such as the ones you've noticed?

I would think "indentations" in the cover would be graded more harshly than writing on the cover, but that's somewhat counterintuitive, as the actual writing has both an indentation from the writing AND the writing itself...

9.6 NEAR MINT+ (NM+):  Back to Top
Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location.

On 4/2/2024 at 1:00 PM, Axe Elf said:

According to the Heritage guide, you can have actual dates written on the cover up to 9.6--so this raises an interesting question--is the impression caused by actual writing on the cover less of a defect than the indentations caused by writing on a superimposed surface, such as the ones you've noticed?

I would think "indentations" in the cover would be graded more harshly than writing on the cover, but that's somewhat counterintuitive, as the actual writing has both an indentation from the writing AND the writing itself...

9.6 NEAR MINT+ (NM+):  Back to Top
Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location.

I think the distinction is for dates that are, or at least appear to be, arrival dates because those were part of the typical distribution process for comics for a very long time. If you grab some current book off the shelf and pencil in today's date, I don't think you're getting a 9.6 out of it. Likewise with distributor spray. Recreate that now, and it's just a stain. 

On 4/2/2024 at 9:41 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I would say it makes quite a difference in higher grades. For example, a 9.4 book otherwise could drop a couple points (down to 9.0)

If the books are in the Fine range or lower, it is unlikely this flaw would hurt the grade. Depending on the book and the grade it could hit, I would definitely consider pressing these books because for some, the value difference between 9.0-9.2 and 9.6+ is huge

Hi Comicginger1789, 

Do you think the $12 pressing service that CGC offers would get a non-color breaking indention like this pressed out? 

Thank you again,

Paul

On 4/3/2024 at 9:21 AM, sandog61 said:

Hi Comicginger1789, 

Do you think the $12 pressing service that CGC offers would get a non-color breaking indention like this pressed out? 

Thank you again,

Paul

I personally prefer to not use CGC pressing. I have seen too many examples of flaws that are still there even after they have pressed it. The thing is, they are pressing books en masse and don't put the same level of care and time that a private presser would. I take this aspect of the hobby seriously. It is not hard to press books but doing it well is the challenge. It is why I am willing to spend $20-30 for the right person to handle my books because I know they are looking them over after and, if needed, using other materials (tack iron, or working on the book more) to get the book to look its best. 

I just don't think CCS does this. I think they press and simple defects (along with just making the book lay flat) are fixed but other things like deep indentations which can take some time and sometimes multiple pressings might still remain

I'll give a quick personal example. CCS pressed a book in my first ever submission a few years back. The book came back a 9.0. It looked fine and a 9.0 is about where I had it placed when I sent it in. I was hoping a press would fix some things and get it closer to a 9.4. I eventually found a presser I liked, sent him the book and he worked on it more and submitted. The book returned a 9.6. So from that experience alone, I decided to spend a little more to get it done right the first time from now on. I don't grade many books at all compared to some people so perhaps their experiences are fine (and I would think if you had mostly 1990-now era books that sure, most of those a quick press is all ya need). But for older stuff, I prefer to spend a little more the first time to know it is the best it can be when I get it back.